WAG "2013" New Routines/Level 6 Optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you think gyms that currently start at level 4 will decide to use the new L3 as the starting point, or go with the new L4 as their first competitive level? That might leave out a lot of kids, who might not otherwise get a chance to compete. We see a lot of girls quit between L4 and L5 at our gym, usually due to inability to get the kip, or fear of the higher level skills. (And most of them seem to be the older kids in the level, who still had a lot of fun and gained valuable life experience from their year of L4.) Current L4 is really popular around here, and the biggest age group at every comp. we've been to is 9 years old, followed by 8 years old. Not too young, IMO.

The HC at our gym has said almost exactly what gymgal said above - he really doesn't see much value in drilling routines for the current L1-L3. I do hope he decides to add the "new" L3 for the 2013/14 year, though.

It would seem like this would have been the opportunity to have the BWO come before the cartwheel on the beam. The BWO seems much easier for girls to get than the carthweel. Though, I guess the cartwheel leads to the round off, which is useful for dismounts.

Do you think gyms that currently start at level 4 will decide to use the new L3 as the starting point, or go with the new L4 as their first competitive level? That might leave out a lot of kids, who might not otherwise get a chance to compete. We see a lot of girls quit between L4 and L5 at our gym, usually due to inability to get the kip, or fear of the higher level skills.

As it is now, some gyms will compete L1 and 2 ("old level" 2 and 3). Most gyms will start with L3 (old level 4) which will include the RO BHS on floor. Gymnasts will be required to start at L4 (old level 5) with the RO BHS BHS on floor, kips on bars, CW on beam.

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought they way it was being talked about it was this coming fall. Glad to know it is Fall 2013. I have a boy who will be most likely doing L4 again next season and had read a little about the proposed changes and was wondering about who they would affect him. Glad to know they will not next season.

I believe the boys routines are changing for 2012-2013 competition season. They are on a different time schedule than the girls.

Interesting thread because I think there's a chance that our gym owners may be under the same false impression that the new routines are starting this fall. I heard them tell some of the girls a few months ago (including my DD), but thought they just misunderstand since they hadn't gone to the state meeting yet. Any chance some states are moving earlier than others? They may say something different today, but now I'm wondering if it's that they're thought since they're telling coaches they're not moving up any 5s or 6s (and we still have 2 months until states).

Interesting thread because I think there's a chance that our gym owners may be under the same false impression that the new routines are starting this fall. I heard them tell some of the girls a few months ago (including my DD), but thought they just misunderstand since they hadn't gone to the state meeting yet. Any chance some states are moving earlier than others? They may say something different today, but now I'm wondering if it's that they're thought since they're telling coaches they're not moving up any 5s or 6s (and we still have 2 months until states).

Nope, the new levels will begin nationwide in August 2013. Indeed, the compulsory routines won't be taught until national workshops in June 2013.

2013 they are adding a new level between 8 and 9. That is why current level 4 will be called level 3, 5 will be called 4, 6 will be called 5, 7 called 6, 8 will be called 7 and then 8 is new level and 9 is same as now. Each level has some modifications to requirements which always happens during a cycle change.

ahh, this kinda back tracks me a lot! :pray: i hope this season goes well.

but wait- what year does this affect? 2012-2013 season, or 2013-2014 season? i got confused..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back