WAG "2013" New Routines/Level 6 Optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who else has heard the rumors about getting new routines/level 6 being optionals? Our coaches are in a tizzy because they believe these changes are happening this summer (to teach... and to compete for the 2012-2013 season). Is this coming season (starting fall/winter of 2012) considered 2013? Jeez! Have you heard these things? Can anyone clear up this confusion?

The new routines will start in the fall of 2013. And yes, the new level 6 will be considered beginner optional and supposedly has skill requirements similar to the current level 7. But details are still being ironed out so there are no real answers yet.

Yes, from what I have heard the new level 6 will be optional. But it is not equivalent to the old level 6, it is equivalent to the old level 7. So gymnasts would go from old 6 to new 6. If your girls are currently working level 5, they would go into level 5 again next year but the new level 5.

Is the routine change only in America?

Yes, from what I have heard the new level 6 will be optional. But it is not equivalent to the old level 6, it is equivalent to the old level 7. So gymnasts would go from old 6 to new 6. If your girls are currently working level 5, they would go into level 5 again next year but the new level 5.

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought they way it was being talked about it was this coming fall. Glad to know it is Fall 2013. I have a boy who will be most likely doing L4 again next season and had read a little about the proposed changes and was wondering about who they would affect him. Glad to know they will not next season.

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought they way it was being talked about it was this coming fall. Glad to know it is Fall 2013. I have a boy who will be most likely doing L4 again next season and had read a little about the proposed changes and was wondering about who they would affect him. Glad to know they will not next season.

Hmm... I think it is only for women's. I think men's is on a different time schedule.

And yes, it is only USA gymnastics

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Think if it this way, starting in August 2013, each level will move a number down. The "old level" 6 will now be called 5. The level 5 you know, will now be called 4. Optional, which used to start at leave 7, will not be called 6. Old level 2, which is competed in some states, will be level 1. Everything under that will be "preparatory." There will be 1 more optional level so that the requirements between different optional levels are not so drastic.

I think this is great. I know of at least two girls in our gym who quit after last year when they found out that they'd have to do a 3rd year at level 8. We're not there yet, and I'm no expert but it seems like that jump from 8 to 9 is a huge one.

Does anyone have 100% proof that this will be effective fall 2013? The other coach in our gym is totally freaking out because he thinks it's going to start this summer and I'd love to show him proof so he can calm down.

I think this is funny. When my older daughter first competed in the late 1990's, no one competed before level five and the level five routines were basically what they are today skill wise (except that the vault was the narrow sideways vault).

Fast forward, and they're basically making level four the new level five. A lot of states (including the one we live in) only start competing at level four. So.... 1990's, two compulsory levels (5 and 6) and then optionals (level 7). 2013, two compulsory levels (4 and 5) and then optionals (level 6).

I really don't understand the point of this. Any thoughts?

If you read earlier in the thread, the point is to add a new level between 8 and 9. I think currently it is too big of a jump. The compulsories will stay essentially the same, only the level # will change.

Fast forward, and they're basically making level four the new level five.

Clarification - they are making the current L5 the new L4. The levels will be more difficult than what they are now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yes, I understood that the current L5 will be the new L4 with some increase in difficulty and that some people may have heard that they are going to even out the optional levels but the thread also said that the optional levels were still quite a bit up in the air and I didn't hear anything specific about inserting a new level particularly between level 8 and 9. Just that some kids seem to be repeating level 8 a lot. I've been through all of these levels with one child and the biggest jump I saw was from 9 to 10. But, it generally might make some sense to even out the optional levels a little bit.

In thinking about this further, I wonder if this might be USAG's response to the proliferation of level 1, 2 and 3 competitions. This might not be a popular opinion but I don't think that 4, 5 and 6 year olds should be spending a lot of time perfecting routines to compete. I wonder if USAG might have some of the same opinion. By making it harder to reach competitive levels, they should effectively move the competition age up a notch. I have kids who play hockey and USA Hockey has taken some similar steps over the past couple of years to encourage younger kids to focus more on skill development and less on competition.

ZZMom

In thinking about this further, I wonder if this might be USAG's response to the proliferation of level 1, 2 and 3 competitions. This might not be a popular opinion but I don't think that 4, 5 and 6 year olds should be spending a lot of time perfecting routines to compete. I wonder if USAG might have some of the same opinion. By making it harder to reach competitive levels, they should effectively move the competition age up a notch. I have kids who play hockey and USA Hockey has taken some similar steps over the past couple of years to encourage younger kids to focus more on skill development and less on competition.

ZZMom

I agree. Allowing the younger/less experienced girls focus on skill development rather than competition routines would help to build a better foundation for the upper level skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back