2015 National Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
DD mentioned today something about no one wanting to host nationals or elite canada this year. What would happen in that case? How will kids get carded?

Has this happened ever before?

I have no actual idea, but some guesses.

They might go to national training centres and the gyms with national team coaches and offer "incentives"?

Splitting nationals into different places for the different sports (MAG, WAG, Rhythmic, T and T) so that it isn't such a huge undertaking?

I know for the first time since I've been following gymnastics, Ontario with have 2 different Elite Canada qualifiers. I wonder if some of the issues are because it is a Canada Winter Games year?

So yeah no answers from just a mom like me, but thinking out loud, lol. I do know when I met with dds head coach last week that he found it odd that dates and locations hadn't been confirmed yet.

We will see I guess.

As an aside, is your dd going Novice this year? This is the plan for my dd at this point.

Well I can tell you one of the reasons people don't want to host......

As a club that hosts two meets a year, it is a monstrous task and we use them as money generators. Meets like Nationals and Elite Canada just don't bring in the revenue that provincials and invitationals do, but the work involved to run the meet is the same.

Our meet director team was asked to host one of said meets, and we said no. We're volunteers, put in crazy hours to hold the meets.

It's as simple as that. From a business perspective it isn't always viable. Just like the Olympics ;)

I am always amazed at how few people attend these elite meets in Canada.

When it was Olympic trials for 2012 I went to the US one and the Canadian one. For the US one it was in a massive stadium and I was begging for tickets. For the Canadian one it was in the Unigym gymnasium in Hull, and there were about 150 of us there watching.

It just is way too much work when you really do not make any money. Does not surprise me that gyms do not want to host. The provincial, and regional, level meets attract tons of parents, extended famlies etc They make a ton of money for the same effort as Nats.

I certainly get the time money difference for these meets. I was just curious what they do? Could there really be a year they end up with no championship?

I certainly get the time money difference for these meets. I was just curious what they do? Could there really be a year they end up with no championship?

I would think that gymnastics Canada would partner with a provincial organization to heavily subsidize a championship if it got to that. I think they would entice someone before it got o that though

I have no actual idea, but some guesses.

They might go to national training centres and the gyms with national team coaches and offer "incentives"?

Splitting nationals into different places for the different sports (MAG, WAG, Rhythmic, T and T) so that it isn't such a huge undertaking?

I know for the first time since I've been following gymnastics, Ontario with have 2 different Elite Canada qualifiers. I wonder if some of the issues are because it is a Canada Winter Games year?

So yeah no answers from just a mom like me, but thinking out loud, lol. I do know when I met with dds head coach last week that he found it odd that dates and locations hadn't been confirmed yet.

We will see I guess.

As an aside, is your dd going Novice this year? This is the plan for my dd at this point.

DD is planning to do Novice this year, but she is having issues with her hip (again) so we shall see what fate has in store for her. Plus with the coaches trying to get those ready for Canada Games the year is going to be a bit of a roller coaster.

One day at a time and I just keep remembering ....its a marathon ...

DD is planning to do Novice this year, but she is having issues with her hip (again) so we shall see what fate has in store for her. Plus with the coaches trying to get those ready for Canada Games the year is going to be a bit of a roller coaster.

One day at a time and I just keep remembering ....its a marathon ...

Oh I am sorry to hear about dds hip. *knocking on wood* My dd has been healthy since the gym move last spring. I didn't know you had such high level gymnasts at dds gym. Isn't Canada Games for Juniors? That is awesome that your dd has them to inspire and to look up to.

Wishing your dd a healthy recovery and rest of year and I hope we can meet up again!

Yeah they hip is a pain in the butt!! I think you can try for Canada Games as long as you meet age requirements and get spot. Here it is most likely much easier as the pool of gymnasts in the National Program is so small that we rarely have enough for a team!

Having said that it was nice to see a girl from our province at worlds; so excited for her!!

OCP Levels, 8,9, National and HP (not carded) are all eligible to compete for this
You must be 12 years old but not older then 19 years old.
I believe its only 6 gymnasts that go plus 2 more alternates (that do not go)
There are two competitions set - one at Futures and then the top 50% move on to the second one at Oakville.

http://www.canadagames2015.ca/about-the-games/about-the-sports/gymnastics

My daughter is novice and will be attending. I am not expecting too much as she is 12 and she will be competing against gymnasts who can be up to 19 years old and then also some juniors.

We are talking about it being the experience of competing.... and trying some of her new tricks....

Oh I am sorry to hear about dds hip. *knocking on wood* My dd has been healthy since the gym move last spring. I didn't know you had such high level gymnasts at dds gym. Isn't Canada Games for Juniors? That is awesome that your dd has them to inspire and to look up to.

Wishing your dd a healthy recovery and rest of year and I hope we can meet up again!

This is a message for DND. My dd has started to have hip issues as well. Could we chat about your experience and course of action. I'm at my wits end trying to determine if what we are doing is the right thing. Any advise is appreciated. My dd is 10.

Reactions: DND

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back