WAG 2019 World's Team - let's discuss

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't doubt Hurd's skills or toughness, but she definitely has not seemed as consistent this year (even with downgrades). I hope with a little break from the travel and pressure of competition she can make some good strides and earn a spot on the Olympic team next year. This sport can be very cruel and injuries can change things on a dime. Let's not forget that the unfortunate injury to Ragan Smith at the World Championships in 2017 opened the door for Hurd to medal and significantly enhanced her self confidence (those were her words).

I don't doubt Hurd's skills or toughness, but she definitely has not seemed as consistent this year (even with downgrades). I hope with a little break from the travel and pressure of competition she can make some good strides and earn a spot on the Olympic team next year. This sport can be very cruel and injuries can change things on a dime. Let's not forget that the unfortunate injury to Ragan Smith at the World Championships in 2017 opened the door for Hurd to medal and significantly enhanced her self confidence (those were her words).

I agree. And I just think her behavior off the floor speaks of immaturity and overconfidence. We don't all have to agree.

I just don’t know how Skinner still has knees and ankles left. Her passes are pretty low height wise for the skills she’s throwing. I always think that she’s never going to get it around but somehow she always does. I think there are much better gymnasts that are being left home, particularly ones with better form, but she hit when the others didn’t. I don’t think you could justify taking Hurd over her. However I think MyKayla was fortunate that Hurd and Wong didn’t hit and McCusker was out. I still think she will end up as the traveling alternate. Makes no sense to have her just for TF vault when Grace is a much better beam and bars worker and has a very nice vault.

Spencer at the Balance Beam Situation has a very nice breakdown. He is very biased in one direction, but it helps to see the numbers so I appreciate his effort. According to him this won't be the highest scoring possible team, however, I still think this is a case of giving a nod to Skinner in spite of the numbers because the US can. They can afford it.

I also think it's a bit ironic that people want more fairness and transparency yet some people strongly prefer that the team be picked based on strategy (strengths/weaknesses), which opens up the possibility of favoritism, politics, etc. For every girl who is placed on the team, there is another hard working athlete who is left off and heartbroken. So, there is no easy solution. There were a lot of people who were upset that Gabby Douglass was on the Olympic team too.

Spencer at the Balance Beam Situation has a very nice breakdown. He is very biased in one direction, but it helps to see the numbers so I appreciate his effort. According to him this won't be the highest scoring possible team, however, I still think this is a case of giving a nod to Skinner in spite of the numbers because the US can. They can afford it.

Thanks for the link. I had to laugh at this

"WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE SPREADSHEETS?!?!"

Since I'm in spreadsheets all day :)

I kind of want Mykayla to compete just to see how she will be judged internationally. I remember before the last Olympics people used to say that Aly Raisman wasn't liked internationally (which I totally disagreed with and obviously it wasn't true). Some of Mykayla's form makes me physically cringe, but I love her drive. Also, I believe Mykayla has the record for the longest streak without a fall in the NCAA. Although her difficulty is ramped up now, she has certainly shown she can be a consistent performer.

At the end of the day, I still think she's going to end up the alternate.

What boggles my mind is why two gymnasts who didn't even have a FIG license were even at the trials as they would not be eligible for worlds.
Thanks for the link. There is one name I never heard before, looked her up, she is 16-years old level 8. Maybe a paralympic athlete, not sure.

Anyway, assuming that Faith Torrez did well at the trials (she actually did well, just not outstanding) and they decided they would need her on the world team, maybe it would be still possible to get her FIG license on time so she could go to worlds?

Thanks for the link. There is one name I never heard before, looked her up, she is 16-years old level 8. Maybe a paralympic athlete, not sure.

Anyway, assuming that Faith Torrez did well at the trials (she actually did well, just not outstanding) and they decided they would need her on the world team, maybe it would be still possible to get her FIG license on time so she could go to worlds?
From FIG license document
'Applications forms must be submitted at least one (1) month prior to the deadline for nominative registration of the related event. '

Very interesting. Biggest takeaway to me is Mykayla's day 2 balance beam score -- that's a big jump. I know she missed some connections the first day, but her D score is way higher. Morgan didn't fall on bars, but must not have done enough to overcome ding for falls in meets earlier this year.

When are they supposed to announce who's the alternate? I know many think it's Mykayla based on the latest nominative roster.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back