WAG 2021-2029 Compulsory Program Preview

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Allowing straddle casts, okay. But straddle allowed in the back swing? Just plain dangerous, the peel in the back swing is already bad enough, add a straddle and kids will absolutely be eating the low bar and landing on the top of their heads..... Plenty of time to change this.

Allowing straddle casts, okay. But straddle allowed in the back swing? Just plain dangerous, the peel in the back swing is already bad enough, add a straddle and kids will absolutely be eating the low bar and landing on the top of their heads..... Plenty of time to change this.
I thought they already allowed piking in the back swing... I am assuming (I know... Never assume) that allowing straddling is to prevent hitting the heels on the low bar for taller gymnasts or those who have the bars too close together to allow enough room between the bars, which piking fixes too... But maybe they are doing it to get rid of the pike and maintain the hollow???
I agree, not a good idea, but would like to know the thinking.

in my opinion no thought was involved . Kids will be peeling and executing straddle backs , no joke.its goimg to be a nightmare..

None of this is final yet. Professional members will be asked for input via survey in September. Voice your concerns. Last cycle, there were several things in the initial list that never came to be.

None of this is final yet. Professional members will be asked for input via survey in September. Voice your concerns. Last cycle, there were several things in the initial list that never came to be.
Do you have any examples of these things or do you have the list?

I don't like the tumbling for level 4/5 floor. I have a feeling this is going to lead to a lot weaker front tumbling in optionals. With no FHS rebound ever required there's gonna be a whole lot of front walkovers happening. And then no FT required either? This seems kinda crazy to me

ETA: I'm glad they're adding some vault progressions in though

I don't like the tumbling for level 4/5 floor. I have a feeling this is going to lead to a lot weaker front tumbling in optionals. With no FHS rebound ever required there's gonna be a whole lot of front walkovers happening. And then no FT required either? This seems kinda crazy to me

ETA: I'm glad they're adding some vault progressions in though
There is a Front Tuck (unless they have a front or side aerial)... but HOPEFULLY coaches have at least the majority compete the FT.

There is a Front Tuck (unless they have a front or side aerial)... but HOPEFULLY coaches have at least the majority compete the FT.

I think the front and side aerial will be like the toe on and stalder currently are on bars...I see no future where gyms don't do majority front tuck :)

Reactions: sce
You can see the 2013-2021 survey here: https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=4090&prog=h

Remember this survey went out before the levels all got shifted downward. Some of the things proposed last cycle that never came to be: compulsory gymnasts front handspring sideways over mat stack; forward roll in low level beam; back handspring step out on floor; flyspring on floor.

K
You can see the 2013-2021 survey here: https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=4090&prog=h

Remember this survey went out before the levels all got shifted downward. Some of the things proposed last cycle that never came to be: compulsory gymnasts front handspring sideways over mat stack; forward roll in low level beam; back handspring step out on floor; flyspring on floor.
That's really interesting! I had no idea they even sent these out, nor that the levels were pre-arranged differently.

K
That's really interesting! I had no idea they even sent these out, nor that the levels were pre-arranged differently.
They renamed the levels starting 2013. Level 1 and 2 were combined into level 1, level 3 became level 2, level 4 became Level 3, Level 5 became Level 4, Level 6 became Level 5. Those were the compulsory levels. That's why you read "old level 4" in a lot of posts.

Level 6 became a new, not required, optional level. The rest remained the same.

I do not know how we are supposed to judge tsuk and yurchenco timers. What a nightmare that will be.

Straddle casts and staddle backswings? Can we say hideous and scary?

Do away with that horrid stride/mill circle. AAU does not do it, and they squat-on, jump to high bar in level 3, which makes more sense that that skill that is never used again. And a basket swing is even worse. In AAU Level 2, they do a shoot through then cut their leg back, squat-on to pike stand to toe-on dismount.

And skipping the stride circle does not hurt any gymnasts, as my daughter's gym and many gyms that do AAU levels 1-3 have amazing gymnasts with longevity and scholarships and elites.

Reactions: sce
I do not know how we are supposed to judge tsuk and yurchenco timers. What a nightmare that will be.

Straddle casts and staddle backswings? Can we say hideous and scary?

Do away with that horrid stride/mill circle. AAU does not do it, and they squat-on, jump to high bar in level 3, which makes more sense that that skill that is never used again. And a basket swing is even worse. In AAU Level 2, they do a shoot through then cut their leg back, squat-on to pike stand to toe-on dismount.

And skipping the stride circle does not hurt any gymnasts, as my daughter's gym and many gyms that do AAU levels 1-3 have amazing gymnasts with longevity and scholarships and elites.

Here is the 2017 tops criteria for yurchenko timer

"Criteria
10 points possible

Round off, back handspring up onto stacked mats (using a vaulting board)

• Athlete must land on her feet or back

• Athlete must keep arms above head

• Mats must be stacked 115 to 125 cm

• Hand placement mat will have marked a 12-inch corridor for

hand placement
10 points
Deductions to include

• Armsnotup–up to.5
  • Body Piked/Arched - up to .5
  • Dynamics – up to .5
"

so like this:

But probably better (no offense to the gymnast in the video)

also, YES to no more mill circles

They renamed the levels starting 2013. Level 1 and 2 were combined into level 1, level 3 became level 2, level 4 became Level 3, Level 5 became Level 4, Level 6 became Level 5. Those were the compulsory levels. That's why you read "old level 4" in a lot of posts.

Level 6 became a new, not required, optional level. The rest remained the same.

I knew about that whole shabang :p I didn't realize they were considering still having 6 be compulsory at one point!

I think the Level 3 uneven bars routine should definitely include undergrip/reverse grip work, but a stride circle is not needed; I love skills from older eras of gymnastics, but stride circles (mill circles) are completely useless. A basket swing/kip is a bit more practical to more antiquated skills and the kip itself, so I'd be okay with that still being an option, but the stride circle is entirely pointless. I also think the front hip circle is okay, as it relates to the ending phase of a kip, as well as the general feeling of rotating around the bar forwards into a connecting skill, and even distantly relates to the Weiler.

If the point of the stride circle was to have a skill in the routine that familiarizes gymnasts with undergrip/reverse grip, we can easily replace that with something better: the gymnast will jump to the high bar and execute a series of tap swings with grip changes. At the peak of every swing, the gymnast will change grips and tap accordingly. That is to say, when she catches the high bar, she will tap forwards in overgrip, then at the peak of the swing, she will flip her grip to under/reverse grip and do a backwards tap, then change grips again at the top of the swing to tap forwards once more into a slight counter hecht technique for the dismount, similar to the underswing dismount in Level 3.

My ideal Level 3 bar routine would be:
  • Glide swing to pull-over
  • Forward hip circle to cast
  • Second cast to squat-on
  • Jump to high bar in hollow shape
  • Forward tap to grip change (under/reverse grip)
  • Backward tap to grip change (overgrip)
  • Piked underswing dismount
I feel this routine would remain within the skill level of the average Level 3, while eliminating the useless skills and replacing them with more useful, appropriate skills to introduce them to different grips and how to move through them while swinging.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back