WAG 2021-2029 Compulsory Sneak Preview

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That "Back roll to ¾ handstand" in level 5 is interesting. Before (or currently) it was (is) back extension and I believe they had (have) to hit full handstand. My daughter competed back extension in L5 and always hit handstand.

I was happy to see that the level 5 vault is still a front handspring over the vault table. I know at one point there was a proposal to do timers over a mat stack, but I think that 2 years of front handsprings followed by 2 years of timers over the table (for those who compete both L6 and L7) is a better plan.

I like the straddle cast option and the back tuck beam dismount in L5. I also really like the changes to L3 bars and vault. No more shoot-through and mill circle, and the FHS over the mat stack should better prepare kids for the FHS over the table in L4.

I am not a fan of all the tap swings that are still there in L4 and L5 bars because as a parent I live in fear of a kid's peeling on a tap swing, but I don't know how you could eliminate those. And I don't like the addition of the cartwheel to L5 beam. There are so many skills in that routine already.

I like the straddle cast option and the back tuck beam dismount in L5. I also really like the changes to L3 bars and vault. No more shoot-through and mill circle, and the FHS over the mat stack should better prepare kids for the FHS over the table in L4.

I am not a fan of all the tap swings that are still there in L4 and L5 bars because as a parent I live in fear of a kid's peeling on a tap swing, but I don't know how you could eliminate those. And I don't like the addition of the cartwheel to L5 beam. There are so many skills in that routine already.
I guess I was thinking that the cartwheel was part of dismount progression.......a cartwheel, stretch jump then straight into the back tuck dismount.

I agree on that dratted mill circle being gone, good riddance and I like the idea of the vault over stack mats....will have to wait and see what that actually looks like though

If they make it mandatory for a coach to stand 1 foot from the low bar during tap swings that would be great .

That "Back roll to ¾ handstand" in level 5 is interesting. Before (or currently) it was (is) back extension and I believe they had (have) to hit full handstand. My daughter competed back extension in L5 and always hit handstand.

I just took my judging exam last weekend, and requirement it actually min 3/4 handstand currently. :)

Reading through, commenting as I go

(Why do levels 1 and 2 even exist? Kids at that level should be focusing on individual skills, not learning routines and competing)

BARS:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the two consecutive back hip circles at level 3. I've been saying forever that this should be in compulsories.
In fact, I love everything about this level 3 bar routine. I've discussed with plenty of other coaches what I think the ideal level 3 bars routine should be, and this is almost exactly it. Love it.

L4 bars is the same; why fix what ain't broken?

I like the option to straddle cast handstand in L5.

FLOOR:
I feel like a straight arm backward roll extending at 45 degrees is a bit too hard for L3; I think at L3 it should have either a 45 degree extension or straight arms; at level 4 it should have both; at level 5 it should extend to handstand.

I love the addition of the cartwheel step-in to level 4, but.... why L4 and not L3? It would make more sense at L3.

I'm not wild about the two front handspring stepouts at L5. I think 2-foot FHS is important at every level (and I'd love to see a bounder here as well -- possibly as an alternate option to the front tuck?) Would also love to see the option of doing a back pike or layout in place of the tuck, but that's a minor point.

Our Level 3 routine is better (GA AAU). USA could learn from them.

(Why do levels 1 and 2 even exist? Kids at that level should be focusing on individual skills, not learning routines and competing)

BARS:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the two consecutive back hip circles at level 3. I've been saying forever that this should be in compulsories.
In fact, I love everything about this level 3 bar routine. I've discussed with plenty of other coaches what I think the ideal level 3 bars routine should be, and this is almost exactly it. Love it.

L4 bars is the same; why fix what ain't broken?

I like the option to straddle cast handstand in L5.

FLOOR:
I feel like a straight arm backward roll extending at 45 degrees is a bit too hard for L3; I think at L3 it should have either a 45 degree extension or straight arms; at level 4 it should have both; at level 5 it should extend to handstand.

I love the addition of the cartwheel step-in to level 4, but.... why L4 and not L3? It would make more sense at L3.

I'm not wild about the two front handspring stepouts at L5. I think 2-foot FHS is important at every level (and I'd love to see a bounder here as well -- possibly as an alternate option to the front tuck?) Would also love to see the option of doing a back pike or layout in place of the tuck, but that's a minor point.
Level 1 and 2 are good for many things. And our Level 3 routine is better ( GA AAU). USAG Could lean from them. :)

As official levels, with meets.........

Because they are a source of revenue.

Little Suzie parents buy leo's, warm ups, bags, pay meet fee's, pay coaches fees, pay admission fee's, concession fee's, buy gymnast-o-grams.....they take video and pictures of Little Suzy, get all starry eyed over dreams of Olympic glory because they win medals for doing basic skills, strung together and called a routine.

Granted it does give them time to learn and practice basic meet behavior. Things like, moving orderly and quietly to each event, presenting, listening to the judge and coach (and not whats going on in the viewing area) learning to keep their thing in their bags, sit nicely during awards, be good sports about awards.....

And yes it fun for Little Suzie and her parents.

But a couple of meets each year can accomplish that. 2 whole full on seasons of competing? not necessary.

As competing levels.........I agree! Levels 1 & 2 should be non-competing levels focusing on skills and not routines to compete. I would not agree to spend my money on suzie competing those levels (the leos, travel expenses, hotels, competition fees). My money would be better spent keeping her in the gym learning those basics and saving the money for competition expenses for the next levels

I'd love to see an end to back walkovers on beam period. Those things break the backs of too many kids. My daughter competed BHS at level 5 because there was no way she was doing a BWO. I like the idea of other skills instead of BWO.

As competing levels.........I agree! Levels 1 & 2 should be non-competing levels focusing on skills and not routines to compete. I would not agree to spend my money on suzie competing those levels (the leos, travel expenses, hotels, competition fees). My money would be better spent keeping her in the gym learning those basics and saving the money for competition expenses for the next levels
We didn’t travel, we stayed in-state for meets. They are pretty competitive levels in our state, but it’s also still fun. If you could see how amazing some of these littles are, you’d enjoy their meets. Starting team on level 1 has brought my girl out of her shell, helped her face a lot of her fears, helped her confidence, and she got to wear a sparkly leotard, win medals and trophies, and still have fun. She is now quite polished in her presentation. Her sister started in old Level 4, and it took 2 years for her to get to that polished look, only on much higher levels with higher stakes.

I'd love to see an end to back walkovers on beam period. Those things break the backs of too many kids. My daughter competed BHS at level 5 because there was no way she was doing a BWO. I like the idea of other skills instead of BWO.

Could not agree more. I'm going to discuss other options for my daughter with her coaches when/if she makes it to level 5.

I think that's my biggest issue with this proposal. FHS 2-feet are pretty essential so it's weird that they are no longer required at all in the compulsory levels. The fhs-stepout-fhs 2 feet pass was a pain and a big source of deductions for a lot of my 5s last year, but I do feel like it strengthened their front tumbling and prepared them well for optional level front passes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back