22?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

10:14

Hi!
My name is Sara im 22 and I really have wanted to be a gymnast my whole life. Unfortunately no matter how much I begged my parents, they said it was too expensive. After this year's olympics and watching Shawn Johnson im hooked again. My family thinks I look like her and it made me even more upset I never got to try! I really could do it on my own now, and I know I could never really compete but just for my self, do you think it could happen? Honestly?

Oh definitely. I'm 26 and I do gymnastics. I've done it my whole life, but only ever recreational. I've actually learnt heaps since I got a bit older. So yeah, if you can find an adult programme, go for it. There are even competitions for adults.:) It will probably cause pain, but it's still heaps of fun.

22 is a fantastic age to take up gym. You are still young enough to make incredible progress, and take the sport very far. But also old enough to be motivated enough to be htere for ou and learn easily. Go for it!

Also it is definalty not too late to compete! Lots of adults compete.

GO FOR IT!!

Im 24 was a gymnast when I was younger, and I coach now.
I coach a prep op team and there are girls in their 20s who compete.

I also take the adult class at my gym which is a lot of fun, its great to just try new things and get back into the gym.

Find an adult class ussually they let you pay by the week rather than for a whole session.

Thats great. I don't think there is like any kind a age to start at its just a matter of hard work. If you already flexible and thats Good! You should really Start. It may make you sore but its worth it. Gymnastics is so fun.

Seriously Go for it, if that's what you want!!
You could at least try it and see how it goes, because you definitely don't want to regret it later!
good luck and Have fun! I'm sure you'll love it, like the rest of us at The CB do ;)

GO FOR IT! 22 isn't too old to start, you're still in good health and can get in good shape fairly quickly. Also, as said you have motivation and maturity on your side. Gymnastics is also easier to understand when you are older cause your coach can teach you in more advanced terms (mine in highschool explained the physics of the moves to me, made it WAY easier to know what I was supposed to be doing!)

Plus, you have realistic expectations. That I think is the most important part, you're aware you won't be the next Olympic star and it sounds like you'll be happy even if it takes you a while to learn the skills. So you should definitely go for it! You won't be disappointed.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back