Parents 2nd level 2 meet of the season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was only commenting that our L2s don't travel...not that you are a bad mother for letting her travel. I was (and still am) surprised that a gym travels...or even competes for that matter...at L2. It just doesn't happen here. So it was an observation with a comment, not a judgement. I didn't see any post where you were called a bad mother.

Congrats on DD's great meet! Our gym competes level 2, albeit locally. I found my DD's meets to be just as exciting at level 3 compared to now at level 4. When your kid is out there, its nerve-wracking and fun, regardless of level:) .

And traveling far is your prerogative...in a rural area, you drive alot, so I don't think its a big deal...just a way of life when you live in the sticks:)

Congrats again!

That's the bad thing about communicating via email or forums... You don't get the tone if voice or body language to help you out.

I travelled last year for DD for Level 4- we drive 8 hours , stayed in a hotel for 3 nights and had lots of team bonding, watched sessions of other girls' sessions (other levels ) , opening ceremonies, dinner with fellow team members, etc. it prob cost me $1000 in travel, meet fees, hotel fees, food, etc. some might say I was crazy to do that for Level 4!

The first time I saw leader boards the other parents went crazy thinking we were winning the whole thing (we were flight A and had finished before most other gyms!) Then reality came slowly crashing in on them as their daughters were passed up time and time again. I saw it again this weekend and a mom I was with told her dd she had finished a certain place (she saw this before the meet had ended) and then her dd placed much lower and they were very upset.

I have seen parents watch the leader board more than the competition itself. I don't try to avoid it, but if I see my dd's group I will look, but I do so knowing that things can change in an instant and I never tell my dd where she is compared to the other girls. I want her to be surprised at the awards.

Coming from a country where we compete from level one and if you are from the country travel many many hours to get to most competitions I don't find it strange at all.
(but then I find it scary weird that there are 5 year old level 4's in the US - we can't compete till turning 6 and that's 99.999% of the time at level 1, if even ready then. Most level 1's are 7-8)
(though lol, if the Australian kids didn't compete levels 1-5 there'd be hardly anyone competing).

Well done to your dd!!! Awesome results!

My 7yo is one of the older L2's on her team. The youngest on her team just turned 4. She's quite talented though. Her sister is an 8yo level 7. And the 4yo is on track to repeat that or maybe exceed her sister's accomplishments. I don't know if I would have let mine do this much at 4yo, but she seems to love it!! Don't know if I could tell her "no" seeing how much she enjoys it.

The first time I saw leader boards the other parents went crazy thinking we were winning the whole thing (we were flight A and had finished before most other gyms!) Then reality came slowly crashing in on them as their daughters were passed up time and time again. I saw it again this weekend and a mom I was with told her dd she had finished a certain place (she saw this before the meet had ended) and then her dd placed much lower and they were very upset.

yes, this can be really confusing to parents new to the leader boards. It is really hard to get a true picture unless you watch the board for the few minutes after the last flight competes an event and before the first flight competes the next event. There is not much time to catch it because there is not much time between the flights.

I went to travel meets as a L2. I'm not going to tell you how long ago that was, suffice to say my competition days are in the distant past. ;)

Congrats to your DD on a great first meet. She had fun, and that's what matters!

Congratulations on a great meet! We only have one meet with a leader board and sometimes State depending on who is running it. I find it hard not too look because if there is info out there, I usually want to know! It is definitely interesting to see how different adults and kids view meets. At states this last year, DD10 lost AA champion by 0.025 of a point! My heart just felt bad for her she was so close! How did DD react? She came running up to me and said did you see it! did you see it! I was 2nd!!!! and 1st on floor. Didn't even give it a thought as to how close she was winning the whole thing and I certainly didn't point it out to her! She was just thrilled with how she personally did. So was I of course but I still can't help thinking 0.025 of a point really !?!?! :D

Thanks so much guys, I think I was maybe a little sensitive.

If it makes you feel any better, our L2s travel too. And the closest meet is 4 hours away. All competition is optional on our team so some kids go to none and some go to five.....all far away. We just did two for fun when dd was L2 but now as a L4, she is going to at least four meets, all requiring lengthy drives. It is just how it is here. Our gym also tops out at L7 so I think the theory is to "enjoy it while you can."

Congrats to your DD. Hope she has lots of fun competing.

I've never seen a Leader Board (at gymnastics) or heard of level 2's competing around here. We are in Region 7, even L3's are relatively new. Our gyms will send the 3's to 2-3 local meets to just expose them to competing. The 4-6's do only local meets (within 1 hour drive) except once a year we all travel to one meet together (this past weekend, all L4-10, 3.5 hour drive, hotel) where there's lots of team bonding between girls and parents and getting to watch each other compete. During my DD's session (L9) the 4's came over from their competition gym when they were done, standing side by side in their leos of matching colors, it was adorable! They were so excited to be out on the floor with the "big" girls and they all sat together at awards.

Congrats to your dd. Those are good scores. I have a level 2 and we travel to compete too. If i said how much and how far i guess i would make everyones jaws drop. lol! We also have leaderboards at most meets. They drive me crazy and stress me out. I don't look at them, but my husband likes to keep an eye on it.

Congrats to your dd on a great meet!

You drove SIX HOURS for a LEVEL 2 MEET OMG........LOL Totally kidding!!! :)

I read the whole thread, including how you felt a little attacked for the travel thing. I get it. My dd is 8 and last year I sent her on a PLANE, with her team, to compete in another province. Without me! (Okay, I flew there the next day to watch because she's my BABY!) So I get it when people are sometimes in awe of the lengths we go to for our kids in the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back