Parents 4th year in gymnastics 3rd cast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Everyone,
Its been awhile due to the very busy summer so far. My little Bailey has been complaining about her wrist for a couple of months due to a bhs fall on beam. I took her to our regular Dr. for a quick x-ray to make sure nothing was broken before sending her back to gym. He said to keep her off of it for a week and that the x-ray showed no break or fracture. Because Bailey never complains, I am hypersensitive due to the fact that in level 5, she mentioned once or twice that both her wrists hurt on bars. I didn't think much about that at the time until the gym owner said to take her to the ortho. and she had been working out for weeks on 2 stress fratures. Felt like a real heel. LOL. So hearing there was nothing on the recent xray, we went on as usual, her 5 day a week 4 hour a day practice and FlipFest Camp. Well, took her to the gyms ortho. yesterday and guess what? No break but damaged ligaments and she is in a cast up to her armpit for 7 weeks along with 4-6 weeks of physical therapy. Does this sport ever give us a break? Just wanted to tell someone who may understand. When I tell my non-gym friends, they look at me like I have lost my mind for letting my kid continue to participate in a sport where she has been hurt 3 out of 4 summers.

Oh I totally hear you. Poor Bailey that really sucks to lose summer training. My oldest has been injured every spring for the last 4 years, it is almost a standing joke in the gym, no one else is injured of course!

I just ignore the other parents/grandparents as they don't get it. She loves gym and so it's fine.

Hope she finds stuff to keep her busy!

Sorry to hear about that. I hope that the time flies by fast so she can get to her therapy and back to the gym quickly. Can't imagine that having a cast that big could be fun. :(

Injuries are never any fun, but being in a cast during the summer is awful. I'm sure you will be going nuts trying to keep her occupied because just some stretching and conditioning doesn't cut it.

Sending healing fairies your way!

Sorry to hear about you dd. That's rough.

I totally understand about letting them continue in a sport where injuries are so prevalent.

My dd (8 years old) is going to an ortho Friday. I took her to the chiropractor on Monday to get adjusted. He said her hip was popped out. She has, also, complained about her knee and heel. We have a few gym moms who are nurses. One who is in the Pediatric ICU and one who's in the ER. I told them about it (hip), and they said they would carry her to an ortho. I have been struggling with the what if's. What if they tell me this is something that will only require therapy every now and again? What if they tell me this will be a constant problem that will cause major issues later in life? How long am I willing to let her do this sport if it's gonna cause damage to her growing body?

I have always said that anytime she gets a neck or back injury she is out of the sport. Those are too dangerous to play with. But what about the hip?
I think if he tells me this will definitely cause issues later in life, then she will have to quit.:(:(:(:( Broken arms and legs are one thing, but injuries that will cause permanent damage is another.

Let everyone know on Friday afternoon how it goes.

I saw her in her purple cast yesterday. Hey, at least she can still get in the pool!

Oh, I had an interesting conversation with MT yesterday. Aaaahhhh. Remind again how we have no other options.

could it be that time of the year? I noticed a bunch of girls in casts today at the gym. One was really excited that the weight of the cast on her leg gave her a wicked swing on the strap bar LOL

you're right non-gym parents have no clue

Will they let her condition / walk beam etc with the cast? Old gym wouldn't let you in with any cast / injury at all then you couldn't return without a Dr note.
Hang in there!

Bless her heart! Big hugs to Bailey and crossing my fingers for a fast recovery.

I understand your emotions over this. Just today, I was thinking if it would be best to keep Pixie in another year of L4. Because, since she's been training L5 it's been one thing after another. First a wrist injury that the doc splinted for 10 days...then she was nursing a sore achilles for a week...now she's pulled a groin muscle. I understand that this is a tough sport but I'm just not sure that her tiny frame is ready for the L5 training.

I don't know what the answer is yet but I hope I come to the right decision and as I ponder it I'll keep Bailey in my thoughts, too.

could it be that time of the year? I noticed a bunch of girls in casts today at the gym. One was really excited that the weight of the cast on her leg gave her a wicked swing on the strap bar LOL

you're right non-gym parents have no clue

Will they let her condition / walk beam etc with the cast? Old gym wouldn't let you in with any cast / injury at all then you couldn't return without a Dr note.
Hang in there!
She still goes to the gym and works out for 2.5=3 hours 5 days . She does conditioning and then practices what she can on beam and running to the vault. I hope this does not set her back too much. She has her heart set on level 8 and this will crush her if the injury interferes with that. Her prior injury's did not stop her progressing to the next level but I'm not sure how it will effect this level. She does have her 8 skills but who knows what will happen in this nutty sport. Thanks for all the kind words. If any of you have had kids injured between 7 & 8, I would love to know how long it took to get back on track after the cast came off.

Oh poor kid! Hope she can keep up with conditioning, etc. until the cast comes off. Sounds like she's really working at it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back