WAG 8th Grader Verbally Committed Today. Class of 2023

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The connection being that the JO coach and Auburn coach are identical twins? No - definitely not typical!
Funny! I knew they were brothers but did not know that they were twins!! I wonder how many more sibling coaches like that are out there (club coach and college coach)...I know of one other one for sure.

I am impressed that an 8th grader even knows about her college choice. Mine was all about the excitement of starting high school in 8th grade! She is now junior and only starting to really get a feel of what she is looking for in a college (urban/rural, large/small, ranking, culture, weather, proximity to home, etc.), even though we have been visiting college campuses while on vacations since 7th grade and have attended several campus tours at both gymnastics and non gymnastics schools. Not that we got any offers and our window is certainly closing at this point, but I remember thinking we would not be ready to make a commitment at 10th grade even if we did get an offer! My daughter almost completely transformed in the course of her sophomore year in terms of maturity, decision making and having a point of view. When she was younger she thought she wanted to go to the three-generation legacy school from her dad's side of the family but her view is broader now.

So an eighth grader's ability to make such a big life decision four, five years out is pretty darn impressive. Personally, I have a hard time locking in a lunch date with my mom this weekend... LOL!

I am impressed that an 8th grader even knows about her college choice. Mine was all about the excitement of starting high school in 8th grade! She is now junior and only starting to really get a feel of what she is looking for in a college (urban/rural, large/small, ranking, culture, weather, proximity to home, etc.), even though we have been visiting college campuses while on vacations since 7th grade and have attended several campus tours at both gymnastics and non gymnastics schools. Not that we got any offers and our window is certainly closing at this point, but I remember thinking we would not be ready to make a commitment at 10th grade even if we did get an offer! My daughter almost completely transformed in the course of her sophomore year in terms of maturity, decision making and having a point of view. When she was younger she thought she wanted to go to the three-generation legacy school from her dad's side of the family but her view is broader now.

So an eighth grader's ability to make such a big life decision four, five years out is pretty darn impressive. Personally, I have a hard time locking in a lunch date with my mom this weekend... LOL!
I knew where I was going to go to college when I was in the 2nd grade (and nobody in my family had ever gone to college). It was the only place I applied when it was time. I now have 3 degrees from them, lol.
I even had my SAT scores sent to them in 7th and 8th grades (I was part of a GAT or TAG program that paid for us to take the SAT in Jr. High and our school provided transportation).

Obviously, my daughter is a late bloomer, as my post suggested ;). She is a very young 11th grader in mindset...hence my being very impressed by these matured young kids. She (nor I) could have made such a decision at eighth grade, or 10th!

I knew where I was going to go to college when I was in the 2nd grade (and nobody in my family had ever gone to college). It was the only place I applied when it was time. I now have 3 degrees from them, lol.
I even had my SAT scores sent to them in 7th and 8th grades (I was part of a GAT or TAG program that paid for us to take the SAT in Jr. High and our school provided transportation).

I think you would agree that you are an unusual case?

But if it’s a verbal contract, she’s not locked in right? I agree it’s still very young, but maybe she wants the securiy of the spot knowing she can change her mind later if she wants?

With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), you bring this up every time this topic comes up. I have no doubt that it was true for you and it’s a giant blessing/cool story that it worked out. But you also have to acknowledge that it is a somewhat rare and unique circumstance too and isn’t the norm for the masses. You’re from Ohio, much of your family is from Ohio, Ohio State is somewhat nearby and I’m sure news about it was plentiful near your childhood home. That isn’t the case here. Minnesota to Alabama is no small journey and it is rather odd for a 13-14yr old to be making a decision like this under any circumstance. There’s a huge difference between having an aspiration to attend a particular university and making a verbal commitment to attend such school and participate on an athletic team. One is a dream/goal and one is a commitment that brings with it a huge amount of stress and pressure.

The commonality/connection here is the coaches of each respective program being twin brothers. While Auburn may turn out to be a fine choice for her and she might go on to have a great experience there, if it weren’t for the brotherly connection, this commit would likely not have happened. Certainly not 5-yrs out from graduation anyway.

But if it’s a verbal contract, she’s not locked in right? I agree it’s still very young, but maybe she wants the securiy of the spot knowing she can change her mind later if she wants?
Yes, it's just a verbal and she is not technically "locked" into this, but considering the head coach of Auburn is the twin brother of her club coach I don't expect her to not see this through.

Obviously, my daughter is a late bloomer, as my post suggested ;). She is a very young 11th grader in mindset...hence my being very impressed by these matured young kids. She (nor I) could have made such a decision at eighth grade, or 10th!

Don't be fooled. It's not maturity. It's opportunity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back