WAG 8th Grader Verbally Committed Today. Class of 2023

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know this early recruiting happens at many of the D1 schools, and that it is a systemic problem rather than an isolated incident. However, with this recruit and the Hailey John announcement earlier, Auburn is standing out as the biggest offender. I wish all the best to this young recruit but condolences to those who are trying to play by the rules and contact schools for opportunities that remain when their athletes are juniors in high school.

This statement assumes Auburn and other schools with early commits are not playing by the rules. It's possible for a gymnast to commit early without NCAA rules being violated.

It’s very common to have college coaches come into the gym for a practice. They may be interested in someone or they may just be in the area and ask to come in. It’s not a bad thing for them to know that there is potential for them later. As someone said earlier, they’re just kind of on the radar. The kids get excited and usually have a great workout.
As a coach, I hope to be able to get all my kids scholarships. That doesn’t happen but I’m certainly not going to decline the opportunity for my kids to get noticed.

In my experience, when the top NCAA programs come to a gym to recruit, they know exactly who they are watching because they already know what that kid is capable of based on videos and discussions with coaches. They are coming to the gym to watch how a kid practices and to learn about their personality and how they take corrections, etc... they also come to try to “sell” their program to the kid (because honestly most of the top 10 programs are kind of fighting for the same few kids). My dd loves being wanted by all her favorite teams and it is very flattering to get mail literally every day and have college coaches travel across the country just for you! What kid wouldn’t love that? And as far as the pressure that early recruiting puts on the kids... its nothing compared to Classics or even qualifiers! It’s actually fun when college coaches come in according to her! Has she committed? No... but would she if her #1 offered? Absolutely!

In my experience, when the top NCAA programs come to a gym to recruit, they know exactly who they are watching because they already know what that kid is capable of based on videos and discussions with coaches. They are coming to the gym to watch how a kid practices and to learn about their personality and how they take corrections, etc... they also come to try to “sell” their program to the kid (because honestly most of the top 10 programs are kind of fighting for the same few kids). My dd loves being wanted by all her favorite teams and it is very flattering to get mail literally every day and have college coaches travel across the country just for you! What kid wouldn’t love that? And as far as the pressure that early recruiting puts on the kids... its nothing compared to Classics or even qualifiers! It’s actually fun when college coaches come in according to her! Has she committed? No... but would she if her #1 offered? Absolutely!
Thank you for saying what I have wanted to say but not had the nerve too!

If a college coach is coming to my DDs gym to “recruit” and I know my dd will be one of the ones they will be “watching” I would be jumping up and down of excitement. I know they are little and all that but as a mom I know you have to be feeling super proud.

I agree, it is exciting, and as a parent, you should be proud.

But, I had colleges scouting me as a youngster for my sport. I felt so much pressure from my parents, whether they intended it or not, to do well, and get a scholarship. It was a lot of pressure. It was stressful. I ended up not wanting to do that sport in college.

So while it was exciting, and you should be proud, remember they are young. college is a long way off.

The coaches are coming in during practice to “recruit”. I honestly don’t even know what that means outside of just watching the girls during practice. So to ask if I will still do it, yes, I will still send her to practice those days just like I would any other day.
To me it is the responsibility of your gym to take control of who gets to be watched for recruiting purposes! Girls this young should not have the slightest pressure to feel they are being watched by recruiters! We have recruiters come into the gym ALL the time, and while we have many young athletes that are amazing.. guess what they are not being put out there. The gym specifically has a system in place that only eligible aged girls wear a specified leo with their grad date on the back along with last name. That tell the recruiters that these girls are of the recruitable age! I feel like parents and gyms alike need to step up and do the right thing to make this happen! I know parents that are nothing shy of salivating at the thought of a recruiter looking at their young gymnast!

To me it is the responsibility of your gym to take control of who gets to be watched for recruiting purposes! Girls this young should not have the slightest pressure to feel they are being watched by recruiters! We have recruiters come into the gym ALL the time, and while we have many young athletes that are amazing.. guess what they are not being put out there. The gym specifically has a system in place that only eligible aged girls wear a specified leo with their grad date on the back along with last name. That tell the recruiters that these girls are of the recruitable age! I feel like parents and gyms alike need to step up and do the right thing to make this happen! I know parents that are nothing shy of salivating at the thought of a recruiter looking at their young gymnast!
So I assume that you don’t send the younger gymnasts to regional or college camps then either?? And at what age do you “put them out there?” Is 12 too young in your mind?

So I assume that you don’t send the younger gymnasts to regional or college camps then either?? And at what age do you “put them out there?” Is 12 too young in your mind?
Well, my daughters gym doesn't send girls to the college showcase until they are freshman level 10's! So, no they don't go the showcase college camps.

Well, my daughters gym doesn't send girls to the college showcase until they are freshman level 10's! So, no they don't go the showcase college camps.
My daughter's gym doesn't send any of their girls to the regional college showcase camps at all and the elite group of girls (there are 5 in that group) aren't allowed to go to any camps except invite or devo.

Since our girls don’t go to camps the only way to be seen by a college coach is when they come to our gym so of course I’m going to have my daughter be there when the coaches come to visit. And am I “salivating” at the thought of my daughter being looked at my college coaches?? Maybe I am but I’m not going to apologize for that. She has worked her butt off and one of her many goals is to get a D1 scholarship (her goal, not mine) so yes, I am very excited and proud that her hard work is paying off and that she is being noticed. Do I think 12 is too young? Yes, I do, but if her #1 or #2 school offers her a scholarship we would be hard pressed to suggest that she not take it. Can things happen in the next 6 years? Absolutely, she could burn out, get hurt or just decide that gymnastics isn’t her passion anymore. But she could also stay healthy and 100% committed to this sport and having the stress of not having to worry about locking in that scholarship would take a huge weight off of her and allow her to then focus her energy on achieving her other goals.

r old and
Since our girls don’t go to camps the only way to be seen by a college coach is when they come to our gym so of course I’m going to have my daughter be there when the coaches come to visit. And am I “salivating” at the thought of my daughter being looked at my college coaches?? Maybe I am but I’m not going to apologize for that. She has worked her butt off and one of her many goals is to get a D1 scholarship (her goal, not mine) so yes, I am very excited and proud that her hard work is paying off and that she is being noticed. Do I think 12 is too young? Yes, I do, but if her #1 or #2 school offers her a scholarship we would be hard pressed to suggest that she not take it. Can things happen in the next 6 years? Absolutely, she could burn out, get hurt or just decide that gymnastics isn’t her passion anymore. But she could also stay healthy and 100% committed to this sport and having the stress of not having to worry about locking in that scholarship would take a huge weight off of her and allow her to then focus her energy on achieving her other goals.
I didn't not say you were specifically salivating, but a lot of parents would be at the thought of their young gymnast being looked at. This whole thread was about parents concern about gymnast being recruited too young. And yes i believe as well as many others that 9-13 is young and the pressure should not be there. The only way that will change is by parents, gyms, coaches, and colleges all being on that same page! Of course you are proud of your daughter and you rightfully should be. Nobody said you shouldn't be.

What is "recruitable age" at your gym?

I find it doubtful that just because a gymnast doesn't have a designated leo that the recruiters are not watching them. If they are in practice and they stand out, they are going to get noticed, regardless of age. Now, the coaches may refuse to talk about those girls but to think that the recruiters aren't looking at those younger girls is naive... Unless, of course, you are talking about colleges that routinely wait to recruit (don't recruit before high school), at which point we are discussing something different entirely. Those different leos are merely there for the recruiter's benefit so they don't have to keep asking "what year is she?" or "has she already committed?"

Since our girls don’t go to camps the only way to be seen by a college coach is when they come to our gym so of course I’m going to have my daughter be there when the coaches come to visit.
Regionals, JO Nationals? the elite competitions? Of course they will get noticed. I have no problem with college coaches going into the gyms but to say that your gym's girls are at a disadvantage if they don't schedule these visits is not true. If a gymnast is good enough to make to elite, they are going to be sought after by colleges, regardless of whether or not their coaches make a visit to the gym.

Regionals, JO Nationals? the elite competitions? Of course they will get noticed. I have no problem with college coaches going into the gyms but to say that your gym's girls are at a disadvantage if they don't schedule these visits is not true. If a gymnast is good enough to make to elite, they are going to be sought after by colleges, regardless of whether or not their coaches make a visit to the gym.
Never did I say they were at a disadvantage. I was merely explaining why I would have my daughter attend practice on the days that the coaches will be there. It’s because some of these gymnasts were noticed at meets like nationals, elite qualifiers, etc...that the coaches are even coming to our gym.

Never did I say they were at a disadvantage. I was merely explaining why I would have my daughter attend practice on the days that the coaches will be there. It’s because some of these gymnasts were noticed at meets like nationals, elite qualifiers, etc...that the coaches are even coming to our gym.[/QUO
Never did I say they were at a disadvantage. I was merely explaining why I would have my daughter attend practice on the days that the coaches will be there. It’s because some of these gymnasts were noticed at meets like nationals, elite qualifiers, etc...that the coaches are even coming to our gym.

This is very circular.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back