WAG 8th Grader Verbally Committed Today. Class of 2023

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is "recruitable age" at your gym?

I find it doubtful that just because a gymnast doesn't have a designated leo that the recruiters are not watching them. If they are in practice and they stand out, they are going to get noticed, regardless of age. Now, the coaches may refuse to talk about those girls but to think that the recruiters aren't looking at those younger girls is naive... Unless, of course, you are talking about colleges that routinely wait to recruit (don't recruit before high school), at which point we are discussing something different entirely. Those different leos are merely there for the recruiter's benefit so they don't have to keep asking "what year is she?" or "has she already committed?"
The recruitable age at my daughters gym is 8th grade. I was replying to coaches coming in to "recruit" at flippinlily's mom 9-13 year olds! My daughters gym doesn't send the young gymnast to college showcases to show them off at a young age. And obviously the recruiters aren't blind, they can see the rec kids practice too! The leotards are worn to show the recruiters WHO is of age to be recruited which i stated... for their benefit..

You know, gyms can exercise a little control over this. It's not like they don't have any idea of when a college coach might be popping by to watch practice. My kids' gym made a point of ensuring that the older girls were the ones there when the coaches were visiting and observing. On more than one occasion, they specifically ensured that the really young L10s were not getting all the attention by having them work out elsewhere or at another time.

But why hide them? What is the harm in their working out while colleges are in the house? It’s probably good practice for the young ones to have college eyes in the room for when the time comes that they’re “in the room” to look specifically at them.

They come to our gym pretty regularly and most of the time the girls aren’t even told who they are specifically watching because that can get a little hush hush. Practice goes on as usual with no special groupings or leotards and it’s really not made out to be a big deal.

But why hide them? What is the harm in their working out while colleges are in the house? It’s probably good practice for the young ones to have college eyes in the room for when the time comes that they’re “in the room” to look specifically at them.

They come to our gym pretty regularly and most of the time the girls aren’t even told who they are specifically watching because that can get a little hush hush. Practice goes on as usual with no special groupings or leotards and it’s really not made out to be a big deal.
They don't "hide" them at dd gym, but the gym also wants the recruiters to know who is recruitable, hence leotards;. The whole gym knows when recruiters are there, i mean they are out on the floor! LOL

Clearly, this thread shows the problem with college recruiting. The rules that exist are vague and there is no single belief system supported by gyms, colleges, athletes or parents. The only solution would be the NCAA police itself, and this will surely never happen. To this old man, it seems the simple solution is no athlete can commit or be receive recruiting visits prior to11th grade. College coaches feel free to watch, observe, and take notes at any competition of your choosing. Athletes visit and attend summer camps at your preferred colleges. 11th grade let the mayhem begin.

I agree John. If *everyone* committed in 11th grade or 12th, there would be no rush and no risk to anyone for waiting. I can’t see the benefit of the current system when you put that idea next to early recruitment. Everyone would be better off and the girls who are truly ready to compete in college would be recruited anyway. What’s the downside?

The idea of having the coaches visit by us is to get commitments for the girls who are going to college soonest, not have coaches start playing footsies with 11 year olds. It's not a good outcome for the gym if a coach spends the visit with stars in their eyes over a 11 year old when there's a rising senior looking to do college gym the next fall potentially with that program. The 11 year old will eventually be 16 or 17 and get her turn.

Since our girls don’t go to camps the only way to be seen by a college coach is when they come to our gym so of course I’m going to have my daughter be there when the coaches come to visit. And am I “salivating” at the thought of my daughter being looked at my college coaches?? Maybe I am but I’m not going to apologize for that. She has worked her butt off and one of her many goals is to get a D1 scholarship (her goal, not mine) so yes, I am very excited and proud that her hard work is paying off and that she is being noticed. Do I think 12 is too young? Yes, I do, but if her #1 or #2 school offers her a scholarship we would be hard pressed to suggest that she not take it. Can things happen in the next 6 years? Absolutely, she could burn out, get hurt or just decide that gymnastics isn’t her passion anymore. But she could also stay healthy and 100% committed to this sport and having the stress of not having to worry about locking in that scholarship would take a huge weight off of her and allow her to then focus her energy on achieving her other goals.
I think your coach is making it a bigger deal of it. I’ve never received any email from the gym when college coaches are coming in. This happens everyday all over the country. No biggie!! Also to point out that they are scrabbling to come in to look at 9-12 year olds before the dead period in December is silly. What, are they going to offer children scholarships before then?

I think your coach is making it a bigger deal of it. I’ve never received any email from the gym when college coaches are coming in. This happens everyday all over the country. No biggie!! Also to point out that they are scrabbling to come in to look at 9-12 year olds before the dead period in December is silly. What, are they going to offer children scholarships before then?
We get weekly emails from the coaches, updating us on any changes to the schedule, special events, coaching absences, etc...I feel very fortunate that my daughter is at a gym where there is constant communication between the coaches and the parents. They always make themselves available after every practice to speak with the parents and answer any questions that we may have.

And while it may be any everyday normal occurrence for college coaches to visit gyms this is actually pretty new for our gym. There have been a couple of coaches that have come in once a year, mainly due to connections between the club coach and college coach. But this is the first that multiple high ranking D1 schools have requested to come visit our little gym.

And the reason they want to come in before the dead period is that after the December dead period is over then the competition season will be starting for both the clubs and the colleges, so they won’t have the time available to come in.

And the reason they want to come in before the dead period is that after the December dead period is over then the competition season will be starting for both the clubs and the colleges, so they won’t have the time available to come in.

We all look forward to hearing where Lily verbals. I am sure the offers will start coming this year. Stay healthy and balanced.

And while it may be any everyday normal occurrence for college coaches to visit gyms this is actually pretty new for our gym. There have been a couple of coaches that have come in once a year, mainly due to connections between the club coach and college coach. But this is the first that multiple high ranking D1 schools have requested to come visit our little gym.

I am sure this is in response to how well your gym performed last season in JO Championships and HOPES on the national stage. You should be very proud. Try to enjoy this crazy ride. You are allowed to not like the trend of committing so early, but you shouldn't feel bad or be blamed for taking part in the process the way it currently is. You have to do what is best for Lily and your family. Congratulations on her success and I look forward to following along.

This is exactly how it is done at our gym. College coaches are in and out fairly regularly. Never made a big deal of, no emails sent, they just come and watch and then go. We have a couple girls in the pipelines, but not verbally committed officially, in certain programs and the girls know that the coach comes to see them but they also know they should be on their best just in case they catch someone’s eye. Not a big deal, just part of the process.

I am sure this is in response to how well your gym performed last season in JO Championships and HOPES on the national stage. You should be very proud. Try to enjoy this crazy ride. You are allowed to not like the trend of committing so early, but you shouldn't feel bad or be blamed for taking part in the process the way it currently is. You have to do what is best for Lily and your family. Congratulations on her success and I look forward to following along.

And this!

Clearly, this thread shows the problem with college recruiting. The rules that exist are vague and there is no single belief system supported by gyms, colleges, athletes or parents. The only solution would be the NCAA police itself, and this will surely never happen. To this old man, it seems the simple solution is no athlete can commit or be receive recruiting visits prior to11th grade. College coaches feel free to watch, observe, and take notes at any competition of your choosing. Athletes visit and attend summer camps at your preferred colleges. 11th grade let the mayhem begin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure you can police or prohibit someones intention to attend college and compete gymnastics

I believe people should be allowed to soar. I am not bothered at all by early recruiting. It is a personal decision to accept offers and I don't believe it should be regulated at all. Setting age limitations, even skill limitations to fit the general population is no more a disservice to the talented gymnasts as to increase difficulty and lower ages to cater to talented gymnasts. Does that make sense?

I agree pre-teens are generally too young to be thinking about college. But I don't think it puts the young gymnast at any disadvantage. Most colleges have similar course offerings. Many students don't even pick a major until their sophomore year in college. Additionally, the financial aspect (full ride) is usually on top of most students/families list in determining the "best" school. If the choice is committing to a full ride scholarship at age 9 vs. a community college because that is all the family can afford or a better suited school but wiIll cause a financial strain to the family, the full ride will win in my book anytime. For some, it gives them an education they may otherwise not be able to afford.

If your gym pushes L10 too early and the gymnast is not ready, that is a gym/coaching issue. That in my opinion is what needs to be regulated. We need qualified coaches who know what they are doing and not just winging it. No matter how young recruiting starts, one would hope the coaches would still do what is best for each individual gymnast. If the average gymnast/family, chooses to try to keep up with elite, talented gymnasts, at all cost, that is their choice. Why should we lower standards just so others do not feel like they have to compete?

Btw, you do not need to be a certain age at a certain level to even have a shot at a division 1 scholarship (though you do need to be a Level 10 for division 1). There are several other factors. There are several not so successful L10s who get offers over their more talented counterparts and many first senior year L10s who have received offers over multi year L10s.

And here is what doesn't make sense to me, my daughter can call and talk to a college coach on the phone but can't communicate with this same coach face-to-face. Can anyone explain why this rule makes any sense?? And not being able to make an official visit until the summer of their junior year bugs me too, if my daughter has 4-5 schools that she is interested in visiting, then we need to not only find the time to visit these schools in one summer (makes it more difficult when the elite season is still going on into the late summer months), but also be able to afford to visit those schools in a short amount of time. I personally wish they would just do away with most of the recruiting rules. Clearly the schools and coaches are finding ways to get around them and still do early recruiting. It would be so much easier if they would just get rid of the rules all together and just trust that the parents/gymnast/coaches will do what is best for the gymnast.

And here is what doesn't make sense to me, my daughter can call and talk to a college coach on the phone but can't communicate with this same coach face-to-face. Can anyone explain why this rule makes any sense?? And not being able to make an official visit until the summer of their junior year bugs me too, if my daughter has 4-5 schools that she is interested in visiting, then we need to not only find the time to visit these schools in one summer (makes it more difficult when the elite season is still going on into the late summer months), but also be able to afford to visit those schools in a short amount of time. I personally wish they would just do away with most of the recruiting rules. Clearly the schools and coaches are finding ways to get around them and still do early recruiting. It would be so much easier if they would just get rid of the rules all together and just trust that the parents/gymnast/coaches will do what is best for the gymnast.
She can FaceTime the coaches;) and you can do academic tours of the schools which are free.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back