Parents 9 year old daughter may be too old to join team :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ElizaBrooke

Proud Parent
Hi all,

Would love any thoughts or feedback, I'm just feeling really sad for my daughter right now. She absolutely adores gymnastics- goes 3-4 times per week to her level 2 classes (would go more often if we'd take her!), has progressed so fast since she just started Level 1 in January of this year. She was in privates for her first 5 months, almost every week, since we were under the understanding that it's not too late for her to give it her all to go towards the team since she was talented and so determined to try her best.

Well, she has all her Level 2 moves perfectly, according to the coach, and she'll be evaluated for moving up a level next week. Here's the sad part: even though she may have all her level 2 moves, be determined and focused, she may not get to join the gym's competitive team because of her age. I know, I've read on other posts that this happens in some gyms. But, I don't know why I feel so sad for my daughter about this, but the receptionist and her coach were telling us that even though she's doing everything beautifully, the director or head coach of the team never takes kids straight from the rec classes onto the level 3 competitive team. She always has the girls join a pre-team between the ages of 5-8 first, then they're elevated up to the main team when they are 8, and always younger than 10. Well, she's a "young" 9, could that count? They both said they don't know, because again they always have the girls join the pre-team first and she's too old to join it. So, they said, there's a good chance she'll be invited to join the Xcel level 3 team, instead. We've seen the level 3 Xcel team at our gym practicing and their practice is very laid-back, only 2 hours twice per week, and the coaches look tired and they all seem bored and unenthusiastic.

My daughter overheard the conversation I had with her coach and the receptionist, and she was so sad and said, "Mom, so now I can't be on the olympic team and try to reach my dream?" I told her I have no idea what will happen next week, that her coach and the other lady were just guessing, even though both said they thought she looks beautiful out there with all her level 2 moves, but that they just didn't want to promise anything because they have no idea what the director will say because of her age and how she never brings kids straight from rec classes into the competitive level team.

I feel so bad because she begged me to put her in gymnastics since she was 3 and I didn't like gymnastics (because I thought it looked dangerous!) and I put her in ballet and figure skating since she was a toddler, and she was great at those but always begged for the gymnastics. So, I gave-in in January of this year and she wants to eat, sleep, and breathe gymnastics. She never did this with skating or ballet like I did when I was her age. So, anyways, I guess my question is- if they think she is too old to join the competitive team next week, is there a chance she could have a fabulous time competing with the Xcel team instead? Or, if Xcel is boring at our gym, should we maybe think about exploring an Xcel team at a gym somewhere else where it could be more exciting for the kids? Has anyone here had kids on an Xcel team and had an awesome experience? Thanks so much for reading, and hope you all have a good night.

Elizabrooke

IMHO I would wait to see what happens since you don't know what HC will do. After the evaluation and a decision by them is made as to whether she is on jo team or on xcel team then your dd can decide to stay or look else where.

If that is true, which I hope they are joking around with you or you are misunderstanding them. Then run for next best gym quickly! That is RIDICULOUS! We have a girl on our team that didn't even start Level 1 until age 10. In 2 years she has competed well and scored out of a few levels (won state 2 years in a row) and this year is a level 9 at age 12. She is amazing and had she been told that her parents would have taken elsewhere. I just don't get this whole age thing. I get it if you are saying you want her elite in 1-2 years, but you are just wanting basic team correct? Any child who has the 1. Ambition 2. Drive 3. Desire 4. Talent should be allowed to do team if they choose at any age.

Do you live in an area where you can look at other clubs?
I'm not in the US but yes kids can have a great time in excel, but it doesn't sound like it at the gym you are at.
Is 9 too old for level 3 usag, not by a long shot!!!
If that is what is said then I'd be looking elsewhere.
So for now I'd be researching all the gyms in your area and seeing what they 'seem' to offer. What programs and hours, and if you look at the meet scores what age groups and seeing where you might want to explore if the evaluation doesn't go well.
Good luck!!!!

And it may just be semantics but the Xcel girls in our gym compete at meets so Xcel in and of itself isn't classified as "not competing" ...is it the same as being in JO? no, but it is an option for your daughter to still compete on a gymnastics team, with many of these same girls going on to be the stars of their high school teams...so there's that option....

I probably would do as others suggest and see what your gym would do as far as putting her on team (be it JO or Xcel) and check out other gyms, including YMCA programs, that don't see 9 years old as deal breaking....will she go to the Olympics? Probably not, but most gymnasts do not but it would be nice for her to get an opportunity to compete on some sort of team

My daughters compete xcel and love it. ODD was deemed too old for JO when she made team at 9. In our gym if you are not on pre team by the time you are 6 or 7 there is no way you are going to do JO. Our gym starts competing at L4, and kids typically do a year of pre team.Its the same with the only other gym near us. However, our xcel team is very competitive and the girls really enjoy competing. I hope your daughter is able to join JO.

Wait and see what happens next week, but if they won't let her join the JO team, take her for evaluation at a few other gyms. Don't settle for Xcel if that's not what she wants.
We were told that my DD was too old for JO team at 8 at our old gym. We went to another gym, and she was invited to join JO team right away. She is now almost 10 year old level 4, and far from being the oldest on her team. We have 11 and 12 yo, and they have plenty of competition at meets, so definitely not uncommon to see 9 and 10 yo level 3. Don't get discouraged, it's not too late for your DD!

There was a girl that DD started out with who was 10 when she started at the old level 4 (4 years ago). It was one of the rare times that the HC had let an older girl come on to team and this girl has excelled. She is now 14 and a level 9. I hope that your DD's coaches will give your daughter a chance to excel as well. If not, I hope that you find a gym that will allow her to compete.

If they completely decide that she won't ever make it to their team, I'd definitely check out other gyms.

My DD is a 12 year old L4. She started rec younger, but SHE wouldn't move up. Could have been doing L1 (old L2 at that time) at 7, but she would not compete.
Although she started with the old level numbers, in today's levels, she competed L1 at 10 years old in fall, and L2 in Spring. Level 3 she was 11, and now she's a 12 year old L4. Many times at smaller meets, she is one of the oldest, but she has never been THE oldest.

If team is your daughter's goal, there have got to be other gym opportunities for her.

I would wait and see what happens if you are otherwise happy with your gym. If you are able I would also take her for an eval at another gym. I have 2 DD's currently in Xcel. It is a great program and pretty competitive where we are. My ODD will probably stay Xcel for at least another year-my YDD hopes to move to L4 in the fall. I hope it works out for your DD.

I would have her evaulated at another gym (or gyms). Not all JO programs have this attitude toward nine year olds. Also, if she does end up going the Excel route, not all Excel programs are the same either. One of the best gyms in our state sees Excel as rec competition, with little or no potential for moving over to JO (other than one or two really young bronze girls), but possibly as a path to compete high school gym. They practice low hours and don't get anywhere near the same quality coaching with regard to form, etc. In my opinion, if a gym says they occasionally move girls (9 or older) over to JO from Excel and also from Excel to JO, I would say that's a good sign for their Excel program. Two hours twice a week is not enough hours for a nine year old to explore their potential in this sport. Don't give up, if there are multiple gyms in your area you probably will be able to find a gym that is a fit for your daughter in either JO or Excel.

I hope you find somewhere for your daughter to compete--whether in JO or Excel. All these rules and focus on age are geared towards getting kids to elite or college gymnastics BUT almost none of the kids make it that far-- hopefully you will find a gym that gets that and lets your daughter do what she loves. good luck

A few things...

One, Xcel can be an great experience. The girls get their own routines and get to play to their strengths. They aren't stuck with that awful compulsory music. I am not sure about your gym, but Xcel runs a large gamut in terms of perception from straight up rec to a competitive team program in its own right. You will have to call around/ ask around to more than just your current gym to find out how your gymnastics community at large treats Xcel, and go from there.

Two, do not let them tell you that your daughter is too old to compete on JO if Xcel isn't what she wants. One gym, two gyms- however many, may say she is too old, but just keep trying. I am surprised 9 is too old, but have heard similar on here before. Look for smaller, less competitive, gyms if age is an issue where you lived

Three, why was she doing regular privates as a level 2? I am not sure how much they cost at your gym, but they are incredibly expensive here and I think twice (and sometime thrice) before scheduling them for my DDs. I would not continue down that path, personally.

Finally, don't beat yourself up. You did what was best for your daughter at the time. Gym is a very all consuming (in so many aspects) sport, and no kid should be on that train unless they requested a ticket. Your DD still has what, 9 years, to enjoy this sport if she sticks with it.. Maybe more. If she loved it like you say, she will find a way to stick with it. I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there, and don't assume a no before you hear one.

Thank you, thank you so much for responding. I felt so bad last night, and was really beating myself up for not letting her start gymnastics earlier so she wouldn't have all this age trouble going on right now. But you're right MILgym, that I did the best I could at the time, and I am going to just wait and see what happens next week and keep a positive outlook and encourage my daughter to just do her best and we'll all see what happens. I am not expecting at all for her to go to the Olympics, but I would just love to see her happy and enjoying the journey of doing her best, applying herself, and learning life lessons with the experience of being on a team. This has been her goal and the goal I thought we were working towards with her coach all year, and so if it's not to be at this gym, then we'll just go somewhere else.

I will begin looking around to see about possible options with other gyms if she isn't offered pre-team or the JO team next week, or for Xcel teams at other gyms that may be a bit more enthusiastic. So appreciative of all your thoughts and advice, moms, and I hope you all have a wonderful day. :)

I really don't understand the philosophy behind disallowing gymnasts because of age. What is the big deal if a L3 is 7 or 10? In our gym our L3 team ranges from ages 6-13. If the gymnasts are going to work and train hard why is age a disqualifying factor? If your dd can do the skills and has the drive I think I would probably look into other gyms if that is an option.

Though I've heard stories (on here) about gyms who do put strict age limits on entering JO, I would encourage you that there are definitely many gyms (hopefully near you) who will not think a 9 year old is too old for L3.

I just did an analysis of the age groupings for our area's Level 3 States Competition. Note that though it may seem on CB that all the L3s are 6 y/o phenoms, here is the actual (approximate) breakdown by age of those who will be competing at states:

Age # at JO L3 State Competition (*approximate)
6.0 - 6.5 0
6.5 - 7.5 18
7.5 - 8.0 36
8.0 - 8.5 54
8.5 - 9.0 54
9.0 - 9.5 45
9.5 - 10 45
10 - 10.5 45
10.5 - 11 45
11 - 11.5 27
11.5 - 12 18
12 - 13 18
13 - 16 18

* Approximately 18 per age group, and I looked at the birthday cutoffs and aligned age groups to actual ages at time of competition.

So of course there will be gymnasts who did NOT make states not represented here, many of whom may indeed be on the younger end, but hopefully this will bring some perspective to what is "normal", at least where we are.

To the OP, do advocate at your current gym for your daughter, and make sure they know 1) she desires the high hours and commitment of JO, 2) You/your family support this, and 3) She will work extremely hard.

If they reject her on age, then do please see what else there is to offer. As others have stated, there are more welcoming JO programs, as well as more competitive Xcel programs. I wish you luck in finding success where you are, or at another gym accessible to you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back