9 yr old Level 6s

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
With the age changes this year my DD is competing Level 6 as a 9 year old (wouldn't have been able to compete under old rules, she would have been 8). I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on what impact the age change will have on the number of 9 year olds competing Level 6 this year? Do you think the changes will mean fewer girls in this level/age group?

my guess...not many 9 year olds in level 6 - they would need the skills a year earlier than planned. probably lots who are 10, 11, 12, 13

I agree that it will probably be a small group. My DD is an 8 year old that will be competing as a 9 year old this year. She has level 6 skills but not competition ready so she, along with the other 8 year old in her group are competing level 4 this year (our gym doesn't normally compete level 5). Your question made me wonder if, given the girls do have the level 6 skills would they have been permitted to compete Level 6 in a couple of invitational competitions if they were just being given certificates and stickers? Since they are eligible for provincial qualifiers it makes sense that the gym is competing them at a level they should be strong and comfortable with.

@Mom2Chickadee
If you're in Ontario I believe they must register in a level for qualifying to provincials but I know our girls sometimes compete a level up at the end of the season once the qualifier cut off has passed. They would be ranked against the other girls in their scoring group though, no stickers.
I imagine the groups will be fairly small as is always the case with the younger girl/higher level combo. the pool of athletes ready to compete at that level is naturally smaller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back