a big step up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nasticsISlove 72

I am in a prep-optional program, and it is really easy. Meet season has just ended yesterday at States.
All of the meets this season i have placed 1st in. Now i am moving up to level 5. For my prep-optional team, and i was deffinatly the best [not trying to sound like i think i am the best]
This is what i have been waiting for my whole gymnastics life time for, but i feel really nervous about it because i am used to being the best on my team, and now that i am moving i am not going to be.
I will be spending all summer level 5, but at the end of summer i will be a level 6!!
It is a big step up for me.

I was just wondering....has this ever happened to any of you? Like you have moved up a lot of levels quickly?

Well, back when I did level 4 scores were out of 12 points..sooo, I'm a little older. I did level 4 then I competed Novice Optional for a year. I did 2 years of level 5 because I grew 10 inches the first year, so needless to say it wasn't a great year. I competed at level 6 fall states and was supposed to move to 7 but my coaches thought we (my team) could win states in the spring so we didn't move up. I skipped 7 and went to 8, then 9 and I did 3 years of level 10. In my opinion if you can get out of compulsaries (with the skills done correctly) do it as soon as possible. Way to go and remember to stay open minded, positive, and keep looking at that goal!

re:big step up

it is my understandomg that a gymnast can no longer skip levels - they must compete at least 1 meet as, in this case, a level 5 and earn an AA of a minimum of 31 to advance to, in this case, level 6..........isn't this correct??

it is my understandomg that a gymnast can no longer skip levels - they must compete at least 1 meet as, in this case, a level 5 and earn an AA of a minimum of 31 to advance to, in this case, level 6..........isn't this correct??

this is true for levels 5 - 10 from what I understand. The gymnast must compete a meet in each level and score the minimum AA mobility score.

I believe this is true for levels 5-10. You do not have to compete level 3. I'm not sure which way level 4 goes.

Level 4 is not required although many gyms start their competitive teams at that level. To go from L4 to L5 all the coach has to do is submit a form saying the gymnast can do 75% of the L5 skills. It doesn't specify which skills so it is really wide open for interpretation.

I believe that may be the case for other levels as well. If the gymnast can show she has all the skills, she may be able to skip levels. Also TOPS kids who make the national team can start competition at level 8 (I think).

I believe this is true for levels 5-10. You do not have to compete level 3. I'm not sure which way level 4 goes.

Sorry if someone already said this, but you do not need to compete level 4 because until this year, by gym did not compete level 4's, instead, we used it as a pre-team, to get/polish our level 5 skills, or to get to work level 5 skills, without actually competing.

I believe that may be the case for other levels as well. If the gymnast can show she has all the skills, she may be able to skip levels. Also TOPS kids who make the national team can start competition at level 8 (I think).
In USAG, everyone must score the minimum required AA score in a sanctioned competition once. Sometimes coaches plan to have a gymnast do just one meet to get the score and the compete in the next level. I think that is what is uaually meant by "skipping" a level even though it really isnt....

The TOPs program falls under the elite program's umbrella is totally seperate form the JO program- making TOPs national team has nothing to with what level they compete in in USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back