Parents A brag - DD's personal best!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, apparently my brags will have a theme this year - one in which no medals are awarded.

DD had her best meet yet last weekend. She was again lumped in with the 6 year olds. There were 24 5/6 year olds in her session, they awarded 10 out, and she did not receive any medals.

However? If you ask her, it was her favorite meet yet! I asked her why - she said "Because I've been working so hard, and I did my best!" There are times? I can't believe she's only 5. She makes me immensely proud; her work ethic and attitude are everything I've ever dreamed of for any of my kids. I don't know where she gets it, but it makes me more proud than any first place medal ever could.

I will never claim to understand scoring. How a routine that looks basically the same as another (meaning all the little things look equally as strong), but one falls? And the fall gets a higher score? Confuses me to no end. So, while it frustrates me at the time, I acknowledge there isn't anything to do about it

So anyway - she had personal bests on bars (**still** no mill circle!!) and vault, as well as AA. She was 0.2 away from her personal best on beam and floor. And she had a huge smile on her face the entire meet, clearly having a great time.

There were girls who, in the past, have placed (in some cases, fairly high), that did not place at this meet. They were in tears, so upset, refusing to stay for the rest of awards (higher age divisions, session team, and overall team). But my daughter? Happy to stay, cheer for her teammates, still smiling.

After they posted the meet scores, I went in to check her overall placement. She was about middle of pack on everything but floor.

In other news, she had a little bit of a breakthrough on bars - she can now explain what she needs to do differently to make her mill circle. So, which she's not there yet, she **finally** understands what to do differently. Basically, she's gripping the bars too tightly and not holding her back hip against the bar. Now, fixing those two things? We'll see.

So - to all the girls who are consistently placing - congrats! It's a huge accomplishment, and you should be very proud.

To all the girls who are continually improving and still not placing - even bigger congrats to you - because you're sticking with it, working through it, and learning the most important lesson in life - not quitting.

Sometimes, the best award isn't something you can hang around your neck.

Your words are so true! Medals don't mean much. My dd had a meet this weekend. She did OK, but was in an easy age group and medaled on 3 events and AA. She is 13 and was a bit embarrased when she was called up for a 9th place medal on bars with a 7.85! She is proud of her improvements and that she completed a connected bar routine. She is a 1st year L8.

Congratulations to your dd on a great meet and personal bests!

Love the last line of your post. I agree. Sometimes I forget so thanks for the eloquent reminder :).

Congratulations to your dd for her personal best and for having a great attitude.

My dd went many years with very, very few medals to show for her work.
I am more proud of her for her endurance than for the medals.

She does have a terrific attitude about it and as long as she felt she did her best, that's the important thing. That will help her as she progresses through the sport. Congrats to her for having a personal best this meet!

It sounds like she had a great meet! I am sure you are a proud mommy! I think both you and your dd have a great attitude!

This gets meet report of the year status. You are raising a vey astute child, her words are worth millions of medals. Be very proud. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Very cool. You and your DD have the right attitude. How great that she had SO much fun. My kids never smile at meets, I am always a little jealous when I read about the kids with the huge smiles on their faces...now THAT is the way to do a meet! Great perspective too. My little DD had a great day today, too...she came in dead last in every single event except vault and last AA...but she did her beam dismount BY HERSELF so we partied like she had won Olympic Gold. What I am finding is that you can choose to celebrate the successes, no matter how small, or be bitter about what "didn't" happen. Celebrating is much more fun...
Glad your DD had a great day!

Thanks, everyone.

I haven't shared a huge amount about her season because by medal standards, it's been lackluster. And for a while, it just kind of seemed that the only definition of success was by score or by placement; she simply wasn't having *that* type of success.

But then I decided that if her definition of success didn't match others', that was ok, and in my mind, something to be celebrated. As a family, we're still learning how to navigate this craziness - and for now, my husband and I are navigating it entirely by finding our own way. Thankfully, we have an outstanding role model in our daughter - and we're simply following her lead. We continue to be encouraged by her coaches' feedback, and we have to trust that they have the insight and ability to see further down this road. For a while, we felt like the coaches needed to be in the driver's seat. Then, we re-evaluated, and thought maybe *we* needed to be in the driver's seat. And then, the truth was revealed to us, through the words of our daughter. And then we knew, in reality, SHE is in the driver's seat, and we're all just along for the ride.

She's made her goals known to her coaches and to us - the work will be totally her own, we're just here to provide her the tools she needs.

That is a fantastic attitude and I applaud you and especially your DD. She is very wise for such a young one. :)

I don't post meet reports about my Dd. She is having an awesome year as far as AA and placements go, but that really isn't what's important to me. I only want her to be happy, have fun and to meet her own personal goals.
She is competing a brand new bar and beam routine this coming weekend and my only hope for is that she goes for it. She doesn't change her mind at the last minute and do what is comfortable for her. That she doesn't worry about messing up, ruining her chances to place, and just goes for those routines. In the end, no matter what happens, that she proud of herself for going for it.

My dd has come in last AA in several meets this season (and maybe in individual events, too, though they don't go out that far in those) and always has the biggest, proudest smile on her face. At first I thought she didn't really get it (since there are so many age groups sometimes she doesn't realize that yes, they did go out all the way and the other girls still seated are in other groups) but in one meet the anouncer actually said, "and last, dd name". Ugh. But it didn't phase her and she was smiling more than girls who came in ahead of her bitter that they didn't place better. Maybe it's the age? She's only 8. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. :)

What a mature little girl. It sounds like she is doing great. Do not worry about that stupid mill circle my daughter never mastered it and once she hit level5 bars became her best event. Hope she continues to have fun at the meets.

What a great adittude for mom and daughter. Sounds like quite the little fire cracker. Sometimes these kids can say things that make you take a step back and wonder where your baby went. Sounds like your DD had a great meet..and saw that she met obtainable goals for her..doesnt matter if she walked away with a medal or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back