A different kind of new member

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I'm new here, but I'll bet you don't have anyone else like me! I wasn't sure whether to sign in as a Proud Parent or Gym Fan, because my daughter recently quit gymnastics. And, it broke my heart. I found this site while searching for something else and I'm fascinated by what is here. I only wish I would have known about this site back when my daughter was competing. I had so many unanswered questions, and from my experience, some coaches do not seem to want to share information with parents. They especially do not like parents asking questions. It's almost like they think parents are questioning their coaching decisions. I don't think they realize that some of us are really interested in the sport and want to know more about what are DD's are doing. After all, we invest much time and many dollars to let them do it. I've even known coaches that do not even like parents watching in the gym. This site would have been a great resource. You moderators and coaches are doing parents such a favor by offering a place to ask, read about, and learn about gymnastics. I've learned so much already, like signs I should have seen before that would have been obvious big red flags. God bless you all! As for me, I'll keep tuning in trying to make sense of all that happened. Thanks for doing such a great job.

"Proud Parent" is definitely the right group. Stick around the site and help others learn what you now know.

Welcome here, you will sure like it. Sorry to hear that your dd has stopped. Hope she is okay and that either she will pick it up again some day or that she has found something else.

Im very sorry your daughter quit.
But proberly it was for the best,
Im sure after all your expirence as
a mum to a gymnast you will be a
great asscet! Anywho WELCOME!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. And, for the invite to post advice to others. I feel I can do that since I was a gym mom for 15 years and a competitive gym mom for about 7 years! I have several daughters, and I was a gymnast and gym instructor myself years ago. My youngest is the one that recently left, and she was 14 years old at level 8. She has moved on to a couple of different sports, and is doing very well, but I know from what I've heard she misses gymnastics. Believe it or not, she just announced that she would like to go back to it in the fall, but doesn't feel like she has a place to go. She would like to go back with her friends who are teammates that she has practically grown up with, but she can't due to a coach there that mistreated her. What's a mother to do?
Thanks again, and I look forward to chatting with you.

Although my dd is not as old or as high a level as your dd, she was also put through the ringer with this sport. She took off for 5 months and then went back and had another issue. If your dd loves it like mine does there is nothing that will keep her from doing it. Most gyms offer free trials, try them all!!! You will find someone your dd connects with. It is hard to leave friends and a gym they have been at for so long it feels like a second home even if it's like a dysfunctional family. When they find the right place it is like a part of there spirit is replenished. We have been a our new gym for only 3 weeks now, but I already see the fire she had when she first started and could only do forward rolls. She is feeling safe and cared about as a gymnast not just a paycheck. I can't say for sure this will last because I am old and jaded and am always skeptical, but she is so happy she looks like she is flying again. Good luck to you and your dd.

Hi, I'm new here, but I'll bet you don't have anyone else like me! I wasn't sure whether to sign in as a Proud Parent or Gym Fan, because my daughter recently quit gymnastics. And, it broke my heart. I found this site while searching for something else and I'm fascinated by what is here. I only wish I would have known about this site back when my daughter was competing. I had so many unanswered questions, and from my experience, some coaches do not seem to want to share information with parents. They especially do not like parents asking questions. It's almost like they think parents are questioning their coaching decisions. I don't think they realize that some of us are really interested in the sport and want to know more about what are DD's are doing. After all, we invest much time and many dollars to let them do it. I've even known coaches that do not even like parents watching in the gym. This site would have been a great resource. You moderators and coaches are doing parents such a favor by offering a place to ask, read about, and learn about gymnastics. I've learned so much already, like signs I should have seen before that would have been obvious big red flags. God bless you all! As for me, I'll keep tuning in trying to make sense of all that happened. Thanks for doing such a great job.
Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! Hope you & your dd are doing well. Sounds like you've both been stressed out by this situation. I know how difficult it is to watch your dd struggle with an overwhelming situation. Leaving gymnastics & her teamates must be devastating to her. My dd had to repeat a level due to a fear issue...she had to leave the girls she had gone all thru preteam,4,5 & 6 with. My dd is repeating 6 & her friends all moved on to 7, practicing & competeing at a totally different time schedules. Although they are all still at the same gym...they really aren't "friends" anymore b/c they never see each other. But she has made new friends:) She has over come her fears & is having her best season ever!!! Plus... she has taken on a leadership role with the 'younger' level 6's. They all look up to her, which has motivated her even more! What all seemed like a night mare to live though last year(I'm still on the highblood pressure meds)...has been a blessing in disguise! Please...if your daughter had a bad experience, but still wants to do gymnastics(after all of that). Help her turn this negative into a postive. There other gyms, other coaches & new friends to be made! She is a strong young lady who has many skills to be proud of. You should be proud of yourself for raising such a dd:)

Believe it or not, she just announced that she would like to go back to it in the fall, but doesn't feel like she has a place to go. She would like to go back with her friends who are teammates that she has practically grown up with, but she can't due to a coach there that mistreated her.

I'm sorry to hear that your DD doesn't feel she can go back to her old gym. We've had girls leave our team for one reason or another (injury, needing a "break") and a couple have come back as non-competitive team members. They train with the team 1-2 days/week to keep a foot in the door. I hope you find a nice new gym for your DD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back