Parents A family trip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

iagymmom

Proud Parent
My dd is 7 and finished her first season of competing level 3. She had a great season, now is working on level 4 skills with decisions for next year placement being made in June. We are planning a family trip to visit my in-laws in Africa and she will miss 2 weeks of practice. HC wants her to work on stretching and doing conditioning while we are gone. DD is very driven so that won't be an issue, if coaches tell her something then she will do it without question. Just wondering if anyone else has had situation like this where your gymmie was out of gym this long and what they did to not lose skills or flexibility. Thanks in advance for your suggestions so glad to have found this site.

She will not only be fine, but the break is actually good for her. You may find that she will come back even more energized. When she gets to upper optionals it is a little harder to take significant time off, so enjoy it now!

[quote="iagymmom, post: 277388, member: 16045wit[B]"]My dd is 7 and finished her first season of competing level 3. She had a great season, now is working on level 4 skills [/B]

At her age and level, I wouldn't give gymnastics a second thought while on vacation, period.[/quote]

Cherish these times while you can and don't give gymnastics even a slight moment of thought regarding your amazing trip. There is nothing she will lose at these low compulsory levels that won't come back once she returns. Count your blessings and treasure these times now; if she stays in this sport, those times will diminish as she hits the upper optional levels. Trust me, we long for those days now as our Lvl 9 dd trains 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, all year long.

We took our family to Europe for 3 weeks this past september..right at the beginning of my DDs level 4 season! In fact, they even missed the 1st meet because we were still gone. The HC gave them a list of conditioning and stretches to do, but they maybe only did it 1-2x in that whole 3 weeks!! Whoops!! haha When we got home, they had about 2 weeks until the next meet and it looked like they had never been gone! It's pretty easy to miss a few days/weeks when they are young and still in compulsories!! Have fun in Africa!!

well, it's not like you'll find a gym over there to work out in anyway. what part of Africa?

We are going to Nigeria. I wasn't thinking of taking her to a gym there don't think they have much where we are going:) She's currently going 3 days at 3.5 hrs/ day. She's more likely to drive us all nuts that she won't be burning off energy at the gym. She's just full of energy, she definitely didn't get that from mom. She knows her conditioning work and has already made herself a chart to keep track of when she does it on the trip. I have told her repeatedly she's got all kinds of time and that we will have a great time and the world won't end if she isn't at the gym. My other kids haven't even mentioned missing their sports they could care less.

Thanks for the feedback we plan on having a great time just wish it didn't take almost 2 days each way to get there :)

I don't think 2 weeks will do anything. My DD has been out 6-8 WEEKS due to injuries and gym holiday closures, and has come back with all of her skills.

My dd is 7 and finished her first season of competing level 3. She had a great season, now is working on level 4 skills with decisions for next year placement being made in June. We are planning a family trip to visit my in-laws in Africa and she will miss 2 weeks of practice. HC wants her to work on stretching and doing conditioning while we are gone. DD is very driven so that won't be an issue, if coaches tell her something then she will do it without question. Just wondering if anyone else has had situation like this where your gymmie was out of gym this long and what they did to not lose skills or flexibility. Thanks in advance for your suggestions so glad to have found this site.

My gymnast broke her arm badly right after the end of L4 and wasn't fully back for around 5? months. She was still able to compete just fine. Fast forward a few years and it's a LOT harder. So enjoy it while you can. Seriously.

After reading that article they'd think my dd was a superstar and try to keep her, lol. I think we'll stay far away from any gyms during our trip :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back