Parents A few quick questions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child?

• She was always a very hyper little girl. Literally Bouncing off the walls on occasion. We moved from my smaller home town to a larger town when she was 4 1/2. It was then she started doing cartwheels, handstands flipping on the couch that I knew she needed to get into a gymnastics class.
2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training?

• Location. There are 3 gyms in my area, one is in a different town, one is a YMCA Program, then there is our gym. It was 5 minutes from my house (at the time, we have since moved about 20 minutes away). Turns out without knowing it, we picked the one with the best program!
3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training?

• A couple things, one being just a way for her to release her energy. She was diagnosed with ADHD. This was a great way for her to learn to control her energy and emotions. I think gymnastics have been key in her not needing medication for her ADHD any longer.
  • The other reason was she showed such an aptitude for it. She was in preschool class for about 2 months before they moved her to a "Petite Elite" class, for those girls that show talent for the sport.
  • Oh and She LOVED IT!
4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now?

• She still LOVES gymnastics. Some days more than other of course, training optional gymnastics isnt always fun or easy. But overall she loves it.
  • I also love the fact that her best friends are her team mates. I think that it is vitally important that these kids are involved in something, they have common goals and dreams. My DD will be 13 this year. She knows if she decides to start making bad choices, like poor grades, Drinking, Smoking.. etc could jeopordize her career as a gymnast.
We have told DD that if you are ever in a situation where you are pressured to smoke or drink say no because your Coach will get mad. I think it is easier for kids to take then saying MOM and DAD will be mad...

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)?

• I like watching... LOL.. At this stage new skills are a really slow process but I like watching the development.
  • I like competitions, but they make me too nervous.
  • I LOVE the confidence it has brought her.
  • SHE loves learning new skills. She doesnt always like perfecting the skills she has.. But LOVES new skills.
  • She LOVES competition.. probably more than me.
  • She loves being with other active people like herself.
6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training?

• DD will never be in the olympics, but she her goal is to go to college and compete.
  • I also hope she can learn life long lessons. like Time Management, Dedication, always wanting to be active in her adult years
7. What do you like best about your club?

• I love the parents! LOL I can go to the gym and visit with people I truely can call friends.
  • I like that i have never heard a coach tell a kid they are too old, too big, too tall. etc. The philosphy in the gym is if you work hard, you can do it. They would rather have someone on the team that is a hard worker, in the gym when they need to even if they dont physically fit the 'gymnast' mold. Than someone with a TON of talent and the right look but doesnt want it.... I like that...
  • I also like my My Daughter loves it there... That is the best reason of all
Good questions!

My son & gym.

1. My son loves to move, dance, jump, climb and has excessive energy....Soccer-NO...Dance-NO.....Swim-No....Gymnastics- YES!

2. We chose the closest gym to our house with a boys rec. program.

3. He was always into going to 'monkey' class. He never said "I don't want to go".

4. After he was invited to Pre-Team, he felt a bit different and kind of important...I don't mean stuck up, just like he had something special and was chosen to take it up a bit further.....He also loves the relationship with his team-mates.......Now he has more 'grown up' goals, he wants to get to the next level, he wants to stand on the #1 spot on the podium. He loves being the only boy that does 'real' gymnastics in school.

5. He likes getting new skills and coach saying 'good job'....He likes seeing his friends....He likes finishing practice beat. Mom likes to see him FOCUS, try harder, not give up. Of course I also love to see what amazing things he can do!

6. Discipline....feeling the rewards of TRUE hard work....Becoming fit for the rest of his life.....

7. The coach NEVER favors more talented kids....our club NEVER focuses on winning....Coach understands exactly who he is teaching and how to do it....The kids love and respect him.....And yes, he even listens to us annoying parents..WITH A SMILE!!!

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child?
My middle child played 4yo soccer and was a TERROR. She was the kid you wondered WHO the parents were. She was a head & shoulders smaller than everyone else but had an attitude 10x bigger. WE realized soccer wasn't her sport, there WAS no 4yo wrestling, and a friend suggested gymnastics as a good DISCIPLINED sport for her.
Her older sister started this past winter in the soccer offseason as something to keep busy with.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training?
I just chose the one closest to us. In hindsight, I wish I'd learned more about different gyms first, but that's water under the bridge.

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training?
She LOVED it.

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now?
They ALL love it. Matter of fact, my 2yo is madder than heck that he only gets to go once a week... but I just don't think a 2yo needs to go more!!

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)?
My oldest is looking forward to her first year of competitions. She's always so excited to go to practice and work on skills.
My middle.... I think she likes the leotards best. ;) And pit. Says that's her best event.
My youngest says he likes dancing.
I like watching our L9 girls working! But it's fun to see my own kids out there improving too.

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training?
Really, I just want them to enjoy it. I've seen great improvement in their confidence and attitudes, and they've taken an interest in building strong, healthy bodies.

7. What do you like best about your club?
They are SO POSITIVE with the kids!! Always have a smile and a word of praise, and they are very vocal when they talk to parents too. It's nice for ME to hear from the coach that one is doing well and making big improvements. Not being from a gymnastic background myself, I have no idea. Also, I like that they stress healthy eating and taking care of your body.

With the rec group, I like that they will work each child at an appropriate level. A more advanced child isn't held back working on skills they are already proficient on simply because there is a newcomer.

They are also VERY accomodating to parents with multiple children, trying to arrange rec & preschool classes with team siblings. MUCH appreciated.

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child? To teach dd reg/daily fitness is important and help them to become stronger. My son started as a supplement for Occupational Therapy.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training? Found from advertisements

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? Just watching them improve and become stronger

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? Strength and discipline

7. What do you like best about your club? honestly, its very close to my house

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back