Parents A happy gym change story!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amiandjim

Proud Parent
Since we often talk about gym changes and coaches/owners reacting negatively, I thought I would share a very different reaction!

We are changing gyms simply because I think another training approach might be better for my daughter. I love, love our current/old gym and coaches, my daughter has flourished there, and it was a very difficult decision. We tried the new gym twice this week, and apparently a parent on our current team found out and told all the coaches and gym owner that my daughter and a couple other girls tried out the new gym. Not one coach at the current gym said one word to me or my daughter, they treated her exactly the same as always. They certainly didn’t kick us or her out of the gym! They just waited for me to make a decision and talk to them.

We did make the decision and I e-mailed the owner a very nice, polite e-mail. He e-mailed me back stating he was sad, but he completely understood and that if circumstances changed, my daughter would be welcomed back at any time! Her own head coach reacted exactly the same way, and even said please keep me updated on her progress, etc..

I was beyond impressed with the professionalism each of the coaches and owner displayed, and it proved to me that they truly care for my daughter and have her best interests at heart. So, sorry for the long post, but there ARE amazing gym owners and coaches out there!!!

I am interested in the new gym training approach versus the old? What didn' y like and what were you looking for when trying new gyms? And lastly what did you find at the new gym that made you decide to change

Sure. Both gyms are very successful and have multiple level 10s, NCAA girls, etc...

My daughter has had 2 amazing seasons at current gym. Coaches love her and she loves them. She was the top scoring girl at state at her level. However, there is very little uptraining at this gym. It’s just how they approach things, which is fine. Except my daughter is a cautious child. She needs time and drills before she will try new things, especially as they get harder. The new gym has a different approach and uptrain all year long. I simply felt that was a better system for her.

I’m happy to hear that!

Do you mind if I ask - how did you find the new gym? And did you talk to the old gym’s coach/owner about your concerns before looking elsewhere?

I don’t mind. They are both very well known gyms, especially in our area, so I always knew of the other gym. I did not specifically meet with him about my concerns because it is well known at the gym it’s just the way they do things. It works very, very well for some girls, and for some, not so much.

So, we decided to try the other gym twice and my daughter (who is only 9) said she loves, loves her gym but she thought the other would be better for her. So, we are giving it a shot. I’m still not sure we made the right decision whatsoever, but I told her we could try.

To be granted permission to return is huge. When DD changed gym we were told she could return to the old gym if the new one didn't work out. That alone let me feel comfortable with the decision to try USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back