WAG A new anxiety I wasn't prepared for...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Years ago a new gym parent called the host gym to ask about the upcoming meet schedule:eek: Coaches and owners were not pleased. Don't do that!!!!

Yes that's a huge no no!

Like above, I also sniff around online to try to get as much info as possible. But NEVER call the host gym!

It is hard to put your employer on notice if you are in a high-travel position. It is very difficult to refuse to travel on one-fifth of the Fridays in the year because your child *might* have a meet that day. If the client wants the meeting on Friday, the client wants the meeting on Friday. My colleagues are not usually willing to push back against the client's wishes.

Well sure. I was only stating what *I* do. Obviously you have to do what you have to do. I definitely can understand the frustration if you're in a job that is not flexible or not accommodating.

Omg! I think last year one of our Moms called a host gym to find out a schedule and the wrath of Eastern European Coaches came down upon all. They threatened to tank the entire meet season if it EVER happened again... needless to say it never happened again.

Book hotels early....they can be cancelled or modified......for flights, southwest can be changed with no penalty.
Don't worry....it will come out. Nothing we can do about it.

We never get schedules until 2 weeks out (or usually less) and it still drives me crazy. Most of our meets are 2-3 hours away too. All the parents in my dd's group stalk the internet trying to figure out meet schedules. It'd be funny if it wasn't so annoying. I know there isn't anything to be done about it, but we still complain! lol

Can't speak for all states but check the State USAG website.

In NY the meets are posted there.

We then stalk the host gyms websites for the schedule to be posted. Whoever gets it first shares it with the coach and other parents.

If you do call make sure you block your number and never cop what gym you are from, just sayin :D

Omg. I actually just did this. It was because I was getting conflicting information from other parents, I needed to book a hotel quickly and needed an answer.They asked my name, my child's name and my gym, which I gave knowing that this had to be the one of the worst things I could do. The woman I spoke to was surprised and I tried to explain that I needed to book a hotel and was just trying to get information quickly. But I felt like I had just done something very, very, wrong... I'm scared

Omg. I actually just did this. It was because I was getting conflicting information from other parents, I needed to book a hotel quickly and needed an answer.They asked my name, my child's name and my gym, which I gave knowing that this had to be the one of the worst things I could do. The woman I spoke to was surprised and I tried to explain that I needed to book a hotel and was just trying to get information quickly. But I felt like I had just done something very, very, wrong... I'm scared

I should clarify that I was trying to confirm a schedule change, not get the actual schedule!

Have you ever been told not to contact gyms? We have. But if you haven't, I would tell the coach and apologize, before they call them and complain. Sorry. :(

No, we have never been told anything. I don't know if I want to bring it up

I called a Meet Coordinator of a major meet many many months ahead of a planned meet to find out meet dates to see if they conflicted with a planned overseas vacation as they had not posted their 2017 dates at that time. They couldn't have been more nice and accommodating.

Reactions: sce
I've occasionally gotten good intel from folks on CB about meet stuff!

I'm kind of dreading this year. I know for the girls, what happened last year may not help much in sorting out what's going to happen this year, but on the boys' side, previous years' schedules have usually been a halfway decent guide. But with the major changes for the new quad, everything is up in the air again! We just got a tentative schedule for our first boys' meet the first weekend in December, and I know it's not going to stay the same.

I am so with you! I work shift work, normally do a Friday or Saturday each weekend... The earlier I know the easier it is to switch if I have to. This is why I love Friday sessions... Most of my coworkers would prefer not to work Saturday.

One of our girls parent is a physician and every so often she is on call during meets. On occasion we have taken her daughter home with us after meets so her parent can leave and make the rounds.

Reactions: sce
When dd was a new optional the whole travel meet thing was crazy to us. As we learned more and I learned how meets are planned, it became easier to deal with the uncertainty. Here is my advice:
- Recognize that from the beginning of Jan thru the end of Mar/Apr/May (depending on what level for the culminating meet of the season) that weekends are possibly committed to gymnastics.
- When your club's meet schedule comes out, start figuring out where the meet is and what hotels are in the area. Most meets can be found somewhere online. I found that using mymeetscores I could find the host club's website and dig for information. I always looked for a Hilton property since you get a 15% USAG discount.
- Never, ever book non-refundable air tickets; in fact, I tried to wait until the 21-day out point to do the air travel. By that point, most big meets have at least a preliminary schedule out.
- With the exception of 1 trip, we did all of our travel on Southwest and never lost a dime for canceled/changed flights. We always used any cancelled trip dollars on another trip in the future.

You have to realize, that if you are committed to supporting your child in this sport, sacrifices will have to be made. We decided at the outset that we would turn our travel meets into mini family vacations; it turned out to be a blast and we got to see parts of the country that we never would have without gymnastics (Salt lake, Boise, Indianapolis, and yes - Bartlesville, OK).

Good Luck.

sorry, trying to respond on my iPad. For some reason, I can't see what I'm typing. Did something change with the APP? Anyway, I had no idea Hilton have a 15% USAG discount. That's great to know for future travel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back