WAG A new chapter in the journey of Puma Jr:USAIGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
As many of you know, Puma Jr has been struggling. She has improved so much, but she's been really down on herself and we've decided to step away from JO at least for now. Unfortunately, this means another gym change and I'm incredibly sad to be leaving her gym. But the only other option for her there is Xcel, and they still compete against the very strong gyms who sweep the podium. The one gym especially is very selective with their small JO teams and funnels the rest to Xcel. Their Xcel kids would be very strong JO athletes at most other gyms around here. So I feel like if we're giving up all the hopes and dreams of JO, I want to put her in a position to potentially be able to be more successful at meets. I did a lot of research on USAIGC, and I think it will be a good fit for her. It's less hours and less intense and she could go back over to JO in a year or so if she wanted. This was absolutely her decision. Even as we drove to that last meet when she finally qualified for States, she said she wanted out. I'm feeling incredibly guilty for not realizing how stressed she was. It's like the weight of the world is off her shoulders now. She's excited to have a fresh start and to not have compulsory routines. She was in between Bronze and Silver, and she and I are both glad they decided on Bronze. Its slightly easier than L5, so she feels like it takes the pressure off. She can practice big, fun skills but compete what she's solid at. She was sad texting her old teammates about it last night when she made the final decision, and I asked her if she was having second thoughts, and she said no. She was 100% sure. I am heartbroken to leave her coaches who have put so much work into her and will never forget all they've done for her. I will also miss the awesome people I've met there. But I have to do what's right for my kid. I just want her to be happy. I am so appreciative and taken aback by how kind and understanding everyone involved has been. Both HC and the owner had wonderful things to say about Puma Jr and wished her the best and even said the door was always open to her. I seriously cried when I read that. The other coaches and parents have been amazing too. And YOU would cry if you read the group message the teammates had going. All the coaches said they believe she has the potential to be a JO gymnast if she wants to be, but that's something she has to decide. I absolutely get that she can be a tough kid to coach, doing skills well once, then back to sloppy habits, or not taking correction well and shutting down when embarrassed...she was getting frustrated and I think it spiraled into her thinking she could never get better. I appreciate the coaches being tough on her because they knew she could do it, but it got to be too much. Maybe it's a maturity thing, maybe she's just not cut out for JO. I don't know, but I know she loves gymnastics and I'd rather step back a little than have her burn out and quit altogether. I have told her that no matter what gym/program/level, that taking correction is a must and form is still everything. I don't expect her to come in and dominate, but I do hope going against slightly lower competition will get her confidence back up. We shall see! On to our next adventure! :)

It's all about the fun and the love and, and it's always about what's right for your gymmie and family. Best wishes and hugs!

There is a reason for everything. We don't always see it right away, and even when we do, we don't see the 'results' from it right away, so to speak. But it sounds like your child is being very mature about it all, and can see the big picture. I am impressed. I do hope she gets more receptive to taking and making corrections, and do believe that by gaining confidence in herself and her abilities this will happen. From what you have written, it looks to be a very positive change for her both in the short run and long run. It truly shows she was ready for a change if she was willing to leave right after she qualified for states! That to me is very telling. Good luck to her and you with this new venture.

It is all about what is right for them at a particular time. Most sports or any endeavor is a journey. I think it is great that she is sticking with it. She obviously loves it! She'll do great and continue to grow. :)

When is she making the switch--right away or after states?

It is so tough to watch your child struggle with discouragement. This sounds like a very positive decision that will help her rekindle her spark and nurture her love of the sport in the long run. Best of luck to Puma Jr.!

You must be so proud of Puma Jr. How mature of her to be able to tell you all of that. Thank goodness you are able to find an option that can keep her doing the sport she loves. When are you making the switch? Good luck to her! Keep us posted.

Wishing her all the joy that she used to have!!!

I have a friend whose daughter is in USAIGC (I believe near where you are, if I'm right about where you are - LOL!), and they are very happy with the flexibility and everything that it has to offer.
There is definitely a route for anyone who wants to continue gymnastics!

Good luck to her! It must have a been a difficult decision for both you. Can't wait to cheer her on next season!

When is she making the switch--right away or after states?

Can't wait to cheer her on next season!
Well, here's the really crazy part. We switched Monday night and she is competing next Saturday. (I know...my mind is blown too) When she wanted me to call the new gym in February, I told her they probably wouldn't take a kid mid-season and even if they did she probably wouldn't compete until the new season started (Nov/Dec around here). She accepted this though she loves competing, but I was wrong! Lol! Apparently in USAIGC Bronze you have to compete in three meets (only get the qualifying score in one) to do States. The new gym has exactly three meets left before States, so they want her to compete! My head is spinning, but she is out of her mind excited. So here's the timeline: She started seriously wanting out mid February. I do tons of research for a week. She decides this is what she wants, and I attempt to talk to (old gym) HC last Friday, but she's not there. I message her. I schedule evaluation at new gym on Saturday afternoon for Monday. I finally am in contact with old HC Sunday. (She was wonderful!!! Wants her to stay, but supports us either way) Monday at 4pm she has evaluation. She takes a trial class Monday at 5:30. Monday at 8:30 Mommy writes a big fat check to the new gym. (Please imagine 4 meet fees, new comp leo, warm ups, tank leo, backpack, hairpiece, choreography, USAIGC fees all at once...:eek:o_O...thank god the owner offered to let me pay March tuition next week!!) She is doing choreography this Sunday and competing it next Saturday. Things escalated quickly.... LOL! I can't make this stuff up....

Wishing her all the joy that she used to have!!!

I have a friend whose daughter is in USAIGC (I believe near where you are, if I'm right about where you are - LOL!), and they are very happy with the flexibility and everything that it has to offer.
There is definitely a route for anyone who wants to continue gymnastics!
I am in Syracuse, NY. So far the new gym has been amazing. Very friendly and flexible. Thank you! I hope this is the right call!!!

((((HUGS)))) to you and Puma Jr. I know that couldn't have been an easy decision to make. Will she still compete state or is she moving over right away?

I agree form is still an important thing to focus on for her especially if she may want to return to JO later. As long as the new gym keeps a good focus on form, she should be fine.

I've heard USAIGC is a lower pressure environment and it's very possible she will blossom in this new gym and really surprise you. Take the pressure off and you will be surprised what happens.

Best of luck! I'm hoping she gets to experience going to a lot of different competitions, make new friends and rediscover the FUN part of gymnastics again. Keep us updated!

It sounds like you and the rest of the rest of the puma pride have thoroughly thought it through. As someone on CB pointed out to me, sometimes it's harder on the parents than it is on the gymnasts. It's also great that there's an option where she can stick with the sport she loves in a less competitive environment (and then decide a little down the road if she's happier).

I am so appreciative and taken aback by how kind and understanding everyone involved has been. Both HC and the owner had wonderful things to say about Puma Jr and wished her the best and even said the door was always open to her. I seriously cried when I read that. The other coaches and parents have been amazing too. And YOU would cry if you read the group message the teammates had going.
After all the horror stories about how gyms/coaches/other parents/... treat gymnasts/parents on their way out it's great to hear how you were treated. Hopefully that will make the transition that much easier.

Good luck on this journey, keep us posted (I know you will :)).

Well, here's the really crazy part. We switched Monday night and she is competing next Saturday. (I know...my mind is blown too) When she wanted me to call the new gym in February, I told her they probably wouldn't take a kid mid-season and even if they did she probably wouldn't compete until the new season started (Nov/Dec around here). She accepted this though she loves competing, but I was wrong! Lol! Apparently in USAIGC Bronze you have to compete in three meets (only get the qualifying score in one) to do States. The new gym has exactly three meets left before States, so they want her to compete! My head is spinning, but she is out of her mind excited. So here's the timeline: She started seriously wanting out mid February. I do tons of research for a week. She decides this is what she wants, and I attempt to talk to (old gym) HC last Friday, but she's not there. I message her. I schedule evaluation at new gym on Saturday afternoon for Monday. I finally am in contact with old HC Sunday. (She was wonderful!!! Wants her to stay, but supports us either way) Monday at 4pm she has evaluation. She takes a trial class Monday at 5:30. Monday at 8:30 Mommy writes a big fat check to the new gym. (Please imagine 4 meet fees, new comp leo, warm ups, tank leo, backpack, hairpiece, choreography, USAIGC fees all at once...:eek:o_O...thank god the owner offered to let me pay March tuition next week!!) She is doing choreography this Sunday and competing it next Saturday. Things escalated quickly.... LOL! I can't make this stuff up....
My head is spinning just reading this. :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O WOW!

Oh well I see you answered my question about state already we must have been posting at the same time! LOL! Best of luck Saturday!
I just found out her session is Sunday (3/12) so she'll actually have one solid week to work on her routines. LOL The good news is she knows there is no pressure since this is all happening so quickly. "Do your best and forget the rest", right?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back