WAG A new chapter in the journey of Puma Jr:USAIGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been following this post, and the journey of Puma Jr. in general. It's so awesome to be able to vent and share with those who "get it", and all your warm wishes and advice are incredibly appreciated. It feels so good to see my child happy again. Enjoying this sport that she loves and feeling good about herself. Every kid really does have their own journey, and it feels good right now to be out of the rat race and the stress of moving up as quickly as possible. I now have seen first hand how competing skills beyond what a kid is solid at can be so detrimental to their wellbeing and growth in this sport. Hopefully I can help newbies with our story! The vast majority of gymnasts are not cut out for elite, or even NCAA, and there is no shame in letting them advance at their own pace. There is no set path, no one-size-fits-all scenario and no perfect world. And things change-they may need different things at different stages of their "careers". All we can do is be open and trust in our guts and make sure that what the child needs, not what we as parents or coaches want, is the most important thing. I don't know how the tale of Puma Jr will end up, but we're taking one day at time and enjoying that she is where she needs to be right now. Much love to all. :)
Preach :)

Just getting to this thread as I've been away from cb for a bit... not realizing it was still here just not on the ap, lol.

But I just want to tell you I loved this story of puma jr.'s journey so far. I love that you are down to earth enough to consider and embrace the different roads a gymnast journey may take. Good luck to puma jr. for the rest of the season and moving forward!

I got on gymspot sometime between 2002- 05. I was teaching parenting classes through a nonprofit and was searching for parent forums. I was a long time gym fan so I joined out of curiosity. When it was shutting down Bog directed me here. I also got on WWGym but it's pretty dead now.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been following this post, and the journey of Puma Jr. in general. It's so awesome to be able to vent and share with those who "get it", and all your warm wishes and advice are incredibly appreciated. It feels so good to see my child happy again. Enjoying this sport that she loves and feeling good about herself. Every kid really does have their own journey, and it feels good right now to be out of the rat race and the stress of moving up as quickly as possible. I now have seen first hand how competing skills beyond what a kid is solid at can be so detrimental to their wellbeing and growth in this sport. Hopefully I can help newbies with our story! The vast majority of gymnasts are not cut out for elite, or even NCAA, and there is no shame in letting them advance at their own pace. There is no set path, no one-size-fits-all scenario and no perfect world. And things change-they may need different things at different stages of their "careers". All we can do is be open and trust in our guts and make sure that what the child needs, not what we as parents or coaches want, is the most important thing. I don't know how the tale of Puma Jr will end up, but we're taking one day at time and enjoying that she is where she needs to be right now. Much love to all. :)

WHAT??!?! I thought it was all about WINNING plastic medals!!?!?!?

For anyone who is interested, I copy and pasted this from my '06/'07 group. (There are much more important things to talk about in WAG than Puma Jr, but so many of you have been so kind and supportive that I thought you might want an update!) :

So proud of this kid!!! Now I know a 35.00 would have a lot of your kids in tears, but it's the best Puma Jr has ever done! And I know that USAIGC Bronze is easier than L5, but they still score the same (I mean I'm sure some of the deduction rules are slightly different, but they do take them appropriately) it's just not as deep of a talent pool. You're not seeing 9.8s like you do with TOPS kids. AND....She met her goal from last meet-SHE WON BARS! Her first 1st place medal in almost 2 years. Here's the crazy thing-it's was the worst bars I've seen in awhile. It was last and she was running on fumes by then. She was throwing up all night (sorry for TMI, but you're all parents, right?) so she barley slept and barely had anything in her stomach. I'm hoping it was just a nasty bout of her cyclical vomiting syndrome, but crossing my fingers it wasn't stomach bug! She hasn't gotten sick since 5:30am yesterday, though she crashed directly after the meet. I normally would not chance it, but she was begging to go. In USAIGC, you only have to get the qualifying score once but you have to attend three meets to go to States and there was only three meets left when we did the gym switch. Puma was NOT happy with this decision! Lol. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm a terrible parent! She only got a 8.65 on bars, but apparently that was good enough for first. Her 9.2 on floor (her best floor score ever too!) only got 8th place. I don't know how many kids were in the group but they medaled out to 8 and I know it was at least 11 since she and two other teammates did not medal on beam. She didn't medal on vault either, but both vault and beam were much improved from last meet and were mid 8s at least. So under the circumstances, I'm pretty psyched!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back