WAG a new organization?? NGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess my worry is that if our gym joins this organization how would it affect NCAA eligibility? Can't remember where I read this, but I had no idea that AAU's program is NCAA eligible. Is that true?
I have never heard of aau making a person ineligible. I think that it is just a lot harder to get to ncaa from aau. I can’t think of any off hand that have done that path successfully

I actually have no idea! I guess I just assumed to be eligible you would have to go through USAG's JO program? I just had never heard of any AAU gymnasts competing in college.
I think a school would take a gymnast who has the skills they need no matter where they competed. Our gym and others around here have a few USAIGC gymnasts on DIII rosters. The vast majority will be from JO programs (or HOPES/ex-elites) because that’s where the highest skills generally are though.

I saw this on Facebook. I think it’s very unprofessional and does not invoke trust. I don’t like USAG, but what’s that saying ...”better the devil you know, than the devil you don’t?”

Attachments

• 6C35BFC3-0F5E-43FE-92CE-3AE98F472E57.png
    6C35BFC3-0F5E-43FE-92CE-3AE98F472E57.png
    802.2 KB · Views: 273
I don’t hold that organization liable for the way that person announced, but also, while I do think it comes off as unprofessional they also need to get the word out. So I don’t agree but I do understand. I was talking to my daughter about this new organization and wondering why we need another when there are already so many and she said she thinks sometimes you have to burn it down and start again. Maybe the organizers are on the burn it down setting at the moment.

JO is the traditional path to college, but if there were a kid who wanted to do NCAA and had the skills a college would want, there is nothing that would keep them from recruiting her regardless of the path she took. It has been 99% JO up until now, but I think we'll see that change in the future.

I actually have no idea! I guess I just assumed to be eligible you would have to go through USAG's JO program? I just had never heard of any AAU gymnasts competing in college.
SUNY Cortland has a girl that competed JOGA on their team ... I only know that because I was trying to remember the D3 team that has a former Xcel gymnast on their team, so i have started going thru rosters of the D3 teams I watched last season :)

I actually haven’t either, but I bet there has been one somewhere out there!

For what it is worth, National Gymnastics Association is a domestic non-profit organization incorporated on June 30, 2020. (For comparison USAG is listed as foreign non-profit organization.) Linda Barclay is listed as the incorporator, principal and agent for service of process. Linda Barclay’s linkedin profile states she is the managing director of Get Scored.

“Managing Director, USA Sports Production
Dec 2003 – Present16 years 8 months
An event production company specializing in age group competitions for gymnastics, cheer and dance. We currently host over 20 annual events around the country.

Director of Events
USA Gymnastics
Jul 1982 – Sep 2005, 23 years 3 months
Worked for over 20 years in different capacities and served as the Director of Events for the final 8 years. Served as the producer for the 1996 Olympic gymnastics competition and the Competition Director for the 2003 World Championships, in addition to working on and/or producing over 100 Elite level events including all national and international broadcast events.”

Additionally, the business address listed by NGA was (or still is) a warehouse that was (or is) being used as a soccer training facility. She may be renting office space but the 11,020 sq. ft. facility still appears available for lease.

I don’t hold that organization liable for the way that person announced, but also, while I do think it comes off as unprofessional they also need to get the word out. So I don’t agree but I do understand. I was talking to my daughter about this new organization and wondering why we need another when there are already so many and she said she thinks sometimes you have to burn it down and start again. Maybe the organizers are on the burn it down setting at the moment.

I do hold an organization/company liable for their staff. A company is only as good as the people they employ. That facebook announcement is more that just unprofessional. It was petty and spiteful. I would not hire someone who conducted themself in such a manner. Organizations are made of people. If you can’t hold the staff accountable, who is then accountable?

They have added more information to the website, and I am not at all impressed. They are planning to have regionals and then Atlantic/Pacific championships all the way down to level 3. To me, that is exactly the opposite of what a new organization should be doing.
Regionals for level 3?!
I wonder if the regionals might be in place of state meets?

They have added more information to the website, and I am not at all impressed. They are planning to have regionals and then Atlantic/Pacific championships all the way down to level 3. To me, that is exactly the opposite of what a new organization should be doing.
I agree. I did not even like when they added Regional for Level 7 in usag. Although my kid was already past that level when they added it, I just thought that it extended their season too long. My kid would have rather spent that time after L7 State uptraining and preparing for L8 instead of training for a regional meet. Others I'm sure feel differently or they wouldn't still have them. And I think it's very silly to have regionals for Xcel levels under Platinum, but that's just my humble opinion.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand......I agree. Why on earth have regionals and Atlantic/Pacific Champs for L3?

I agree. I did not even like when they added Regional for Level 7 in usag. Although my kid was already past that level when they added it, I just thought that it extended their season too long. My kid would have rather spent that time after L7 State uptraining and preparing for L8 instead of training for a regional meet. Others I'm sure feel differently or they wouldn't still have them. And I think it's very silly to have regionals for Xcel levels under Platinum, but that's just my humble opinion.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand......I agree. Why on earth have regionals and Atlantic/Pacific Champs for L3?

I completely agree. If they wanted to actually be different, they would take the opposite approach and encourage lower hours/less pressure for the lower levels. I cannot get behind any organization that wants 6-7 year-old level 3s and 4s to travel across the country for meets.

I do hold an organization/company liable for their staff. A company is only as good as the people they employ. That facebook announcement is more that just unprofessional. It was petty and spiteful. I would not hire someone who conducted themself in such a manner. Organizations are made of people. If you can’t hold the staff accountable, who is then accountable?
I agree with that. The people you hire represent and reflect your company's image, you are responsible for what they say and how they conduct themselves and if you don't like how they do that.....you terminate their employment. Otherwise, I as a consumer assume that that is the way you wish to be portrayed

[/QUOTE]

Oh great, let’s make an expensive sport even more expensive .That alone speaks volumes to me about where the priorities are. Doesn’t seem to be that different from USAG.

T&T has regionals for low levels and nationals too- it doesn’t mean that every family or every gym participates. I have always loved T&T’s structure and atmosphere and don’t mind if it carries over. Let’s be honest, some parents will LOVE to be able to say their L4 is “national champion”- they do it now for YMCA and USAIGC lower levels. Other parents will say anything past states is a waste before L9 or L10. This new structure doesn’t harm anyone as long as gyms let parents make the decisions about competition like I think they should. In our time in T&T every single meet was optional and parents decided what worked for their family. It should truly be to each their own imo.

T&T has regionals for low levels and nationals too- it doesn’t mean that every family or every gym participates. I have always loved T&T’s structure and atmosphere and don’t mind if it carries over. Let’s be honest, some parents will LOVE to be able to say their L4 is “national champion”- they do it now for YMCA and USAIGC lower levels. Other parents will say anything past states is a waste before L9 or L10. This new structure doesn’t harm anyone as long as gyms let parents make the decisions about competition like I think they should. In our time in T&T every single meet was optional and parents decided what worked for their family. It should truly be to each their own imo.
That is awesome that your gym was like this. I can honestly say we have never been part of any program that was the family's choice as to which meets they can afford to attend. Every gym we were at, every meet was mandatory.

That is awesome that your gym was like this. I can honestly say we have never been part of any program that was the family's choice as to which meets they can afford to attend. Every gym we were at, every meet was mandatory.
Exactly. It’s awesome your gym was that way MILgymFAM, but it’s not typical. Most gyms give you a meet schedule and expect you to attend. I just think these kinds of meets at the lower levels promote the wrong idea and will lead to even more sandbagging and ridiculous repeating of levels than we already have. Not to mention, add to an already expensive sport in a time where people are hurting financially. Holding these post season meets for the lower levels feels like a complete money grab to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back