WAG a new organization?? NGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They have added more information to the website, and I am not at all impressed. They are planning to have regionals and then Atlantic/Pacific championships all the way down to level 3. To me, that is exactly the opposite of what a new organization should be doing.
IGC has been around for a very long time and they have regional, nationals/worlds (such as it is) for every level (might have changed it bit since we did it, @Mrs. Puma would know better currentl). Our kids did it when they were Level 2/3 USAG and Copper/Bronze Level in IGC

IGC has been around for a very long time and they have regional, nationals/worlds (such as it is) for every level (might have changed it bit since we did it, @Mrs. Puma would know better currentl). Our kids did it when they were Level 2/3 USAG and Copper/Bronze Level in IGC

Yes, they USAIGC has “Worlds“ for all levels. But not all kids go. I would say about a quarter of our kids go? Less than half? It will definitely be interesting to see what happens in general with this new program.

@flippin out and @amiandjim are your kids in T&T? That has been our experience at all T&T gyms we associated with, and none of the artistic. My whole point was that it would be great if artistic shifted in that way. I absolutely agree that it would be bad for them to have the set up as written and keep the iron fist gym rules of current artistic practices in USAG- it would be the worst of both worlds. I’m hopeful that part of the paradigm shift in gymnastics will include more autonomy for families to decide what is the right level of commitment to competition within a wide framework.

No, artistic. I guess that was my whole point. This new organization wants to be the change, but between those comps, the fact that they are allowing even younger kids to compete level 9/10, and the way they made their announcements using the USAG page, I would have to say no thanks.

I feel like the fact that the bulk of the info is focused around meets sort of misses the point of creating a new organization. USAG has a whole lot of problems, but how they structure their meets and the JO code of points are really nowhere near the top of the list. If you aren't going to be head on addressing the major issues really well, what's the point?

I am assuming with this new org all levels would have an “optional” beam or floor much like Xcel? I’m not familiar with IGC etc but I know at our gym L1 and L2 was a huge money grab and Bronzes were paying $500+ a month. I think the travel would be just like when gyms present a travel meet for the L3 and L4 out of state where not everyone would go but in this case these would be championships meets and parents will feel more pressured or what if the more tense environment gyms requires that of a L3.

I just looked at their website and they have now posted under “Rules” vault values, requirements for each level and deductions for all events.

@MILgymFAM my dd was artistic, she is D1 now.

Here’s the thing. Remember when Xcel was introduced? It was supposed to be geared more toward the athlete and families that wanted a less aggressive approach (less hours per week, slower paced). And there are some gyms that maintain that philosophy. Problem was a lot of gyms (most that we know) decided that they would just choose to have their kids compete Xcel instead of compulsory levels — allowing kids to have their own routines, train skills that they liked, score better (usually) than they would at compulsory.

BUT, they trained the same amount of hours as normal (blowing away kids doing Xcel with less hours) , and gyms could charge same amount for training. Then every one of those kids now needed to pay for choreography for floor and beam (more money). Meets we’re still mandatory for all. Meet season now include regional meet fees (and expense for traveling to that also)

So, my expectations of how most gyms that leave USAG for this new program is that they will go on business as usual within their gym structure. Just because a gym changes affiliation from USAG to a new program doesn’t mean they will change everything about how they train/charge. Those gyms that have up to this point required all meets attended and X amount of training hours will maintain that. Only difference will be what org they compete under.

It all seems like selling points to me. Having regionals, Easterns/Westerns and nationals at lower levels, trying to bring in those people who don’t want to wait until higher levels to do these special comps. Allowing younger kids at higher levels etc.

But also these major events are big money spinners. More levels, more kids, more money.

@flippin out that might happen, but darn it would be a shame. I hope that gyms take this opportunity to reevaluate how they are run and what their values and mission are. Probably idealistic, I know, but the idea of a fresh start allows for that possibility. That said, we’ve found and managed so many unusual situations in gymnastics, and have appreciated every little bit of unconventional that we’ve encountered. At the end of the day, gyms that push and control- and even abuse- can only continue their behavior because families keep paying. So, while I hope there is change in an org, and that it trickles down to the gyms, I even more fervently hope that there is a change in what athletes and their families are willing to accept and that trickles up too.

No, artistic. I guess that was my whole point. This new organization wants to be the change, but between those comps, the fact that they are allowing even younger kids to compete level 9/10, and the way they made their announcements using the USAG page, I would have to say no thanks.
I would think they couldn’t use the level system like USAG, or at least would rename/restructure it.

I am sure they could still use the sane level numbers. It’s such a generic system that it’s not going to be copyrighted to USAG. But would have to change the routines.

I feel like the fact that the bulk of the info is focused around meets sort of misses the point of creating a new organization. USAG has a whole lot of problems, but how they structure their meets and the JO code of points are really nowhere near the top of the list. If you aren't going to be head on addressing the major issues really well, what's the point?

Yes, this. If the main focus and first priority is putting up information on competitions and not an introduction of the organization, board members, and how they plan to keep athletes safe and promote healthy training environments, then I have little faith this new organization will address and fix the issues USAG has.

I just shared this with our head coach. She said Linda Barclay ran a virtual competition platform. I'm not sure what that is. Could they be preparing for a virtual season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back