WAG A new step in the gymnastics journey

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
An ambiguous title, I know, but I think it fits.

As some of you may know, I moved interstate to go to uni this year, which meant leaving behind my old gym. After about four months of doing no gymnastics, I finally called a new gym about 15 minutes' convenient bus ride away, about their adult classes. I just turned 18, so I couldn't call them before about two weeks ago, because I couldn't sign my own indemnity forms...but I'm trusted with a knife and gas oven. Ahh the bureaucracy.

Anyway, not only did they invite me along to the adult class (and it sounds awesome - so much free reign to work on skills! I just hope they force you to do conditioning, or I'll never keep fit...), but they also commented there was a kids' coaching position available. This is a pretty exciting prospect because I think I would very much enjoy teaching, and I think I would be pretty decent at it. I look forward to seeing where that offer may lead me!

I'm also looking forward to going back to gymnastics and having lots of choice in the events. I'm a floory-beamy person, I think I may just give up on bars entirely, and we never had an actual vault at my gym but I could give that a whirl, I suppose. I'm really keen to work more on beam, especially cartwheels and handstands. Another of my goals is to regain my front handspring on a hard surface, get my aerial, and perhaps learn how to do some backwards skills very slowly and steadily, as I have an enormous fear of kickovers and BHS drills. Sidenote: if anyone has suggestions of backwards drills for scaredy cats, I'd love them.

Anyway, it's nice to have some movement on the gymnastics front again, and I wanted to share it with some like-minded people :)

Hope you're all having a great week.

That's great! I wish I had been as active as you at a young age, maybe I wouldn't feel so old now. [emoji12]. Good luck!

Wonderful news! I'm glad you are getting back into it and so exciting that you may have an opportunity to teach. I say go for it!!

That's great! I wish I had been as active as you at a young age, maybe I wouldn't feel so old now. [emoji12]. Good luck!

Wonderful news! I'm glad you are getting back into it and so exciting that you may have an opportunity to teach. I say go for it!!

Thank you! You're never too old to do gymnastics. I once saw a video of a 90-year-old lady who's still doing gymnastics, 1930s-style. It's incredibly impressive. Whilst most people probably couldn't do that, there are always softer surfaces to practise on, lower beams to work up your confidence, and coaches to help you move at your own pace. Also, the nice thing about recreational practice is that you choose which skills you want to do, and which to skip. I do what I want to do!

I loved reading your story. Very inspiring!

I've never been called inspiring before, haha. My gymnastics situation is different to most, but I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Sometimes I wish I'd stuck with it for a while longer, when I was a kid. "I could have been really good", I think to myself...and then I realise that I probably wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much now. I wish I'd had the chance to compete, and that's still something I would eventually like to do, but I don't know of any adult competitions around so I may have to wait a while for that one to happen.

Very cool and exciting.

Don't forget to change your banner if you become a coach. ;)

Thank you, and I'll definitely remember :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back