MAG a question about judges...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

duyetanh

Proud Parent
...it comes from my child, and she is young, so bear with her (and me):
She has watched many meets. Perhaps it is luck of the 'draw' so to speak in what she has watched. But she has noticed that men judge the women, yet she has not seen any women judge the men.
She would like to know if women do indeed judge men's gymnastics. I told her I had no flippin' idea. But I would ask. Humor us...:D

Yes, there are a few women who judge men's gymnastics. There are also some men who judge women's gymnastics.

It is very common to have men judge women and women judge men. I don't know about the US but in Asutralia it is a requirement that you provide a judge for every session your club competes in, because MAG is more often coached by males and WAG by females. The clubs will often get their WAG coaches to become MAG judges and their MAG coaches to become WAG judges.

This way when a competition comes up, the coaches can take their groups around and. It be tied up judging.

Yep we have one female judge in particular that the boys are all somewhat bonded to - at States she wasn't judging the upper level session and actually sat down with our boys (I would assume others too, just wasn't watching) and chatted with them for a rotation -explained some things about ankle injuries to my well taped DS, and went over a routine with another boy....there are a few benefits of being in a tiny state/region!

The boys think she gives them more "style points" and "pity points", but in my experience she is quite consistant with all the boys....

Two women were judging at the Men's Region 7 Championships this year; one on High Bar and the other on Still Rings. :)

We had two different women at two of our meets(one at each). Some, not a lot. I think this reflects the popularity of men's gymnastics in the US, sadly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back