A wondering on in house meets

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
Jun 14, 2019
Country
USA
Covid cases are rising pretty much across the country. I know we have been put on "pause" for moving forward and more and more restrictions are being put into place. There is a LOT of speculation that we are headed back towards a full lockdown like we had from March till May. However, at the moment our gyms are still open. Are in house move up meets a possibility if full meets cannot happen?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

LPmom

Proud Parent
Feb 19, 2019
Country
USA
It sounds like you are in WA, too? We’ve heard that the state will clarify today if gymnastics is included in the new <5 people restrictions that apply to fitness gyms. My daughter’s gym didn’t really open until July and things are still so far from normal there that I can’t imagine an in-house meet until winter, but it sounds like your county may have opened a bit earlier. Who knows what will happen, but it seems likely that in-house meets will be the only option for a long time if this keeps up.

Rockygym

Proud Parent
Aug 6, 2014
Country
USA
It sounds like you are in WA, too? We’ve heard that the state will clarify today if gymnastics is included in the new <5 people restrictions that apply to fitness gyms. My daughter’s gym didn’t really open until July and things are still so far from normal there that I can’t imagine an in-house meet until winter, but it sounds like your county may have opened a bit earlier. Who knows what will happen, but it seems likely that in-house meets will be the only option for a long time if this keeps up.
Just curious where you heard this. I have been wondering.

LPmom

Proud Parent
Feb 19, 2019
Country
USA
We received an email from the gym yesterday 7/28 saying that “Leadership of gymnastics in Washington State is currently speaking to legislation leaders about these restrictions, and how they impact our kids. We are expecting a decision tomorrow”. It sounds like the group of gyms (not ours) which originally lobbied for reopening back in May had made contacts within the governor’s advisory team and have been talking with them this past week to get clarification about next steps.

SMH

Proud Parent
Dec 17, 2016
Country
USA
Illinois. We just had a whole load of new restrictions put on youth sports. In terms of gymnastics, we are considered ‘lower’ risk, as long as appropriate cleaning can take place.
We can currently ‘play’ as a lower risk sport at levels 1-3.

Level 1: No-contact practices and trainings only
Level 2: Intra-team scrimmages allowed, with parental consent for minors; no competitive play
Level 3: Intra-conference or Intra-EMS-region or intra-league play/meets only; state- or league-championship game/meet allowed for low-risk sports only
Level 4: Tournaments, out-of-conference/league play, multi-team meets, out-of-state play allowed; championship games allowed.

These restrictions start Aug 15th.

We have an in gym score out meet scheduled for before that date, but it seems like an in gym meet would be fine after then also.
Our state seems to have moved on from huge sweeping closures to a series of specific closures/mitigation efforts- I’m hoping we won’t go back to any type of full shut downs again like in March.

Reactions: LPmom

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Dec 13, 2010
Country
USA
in WA. just Saw clarification on restrictions memo from the governor yesterday afternoon. No mention of gymnastics. I would think since gymnastics got pulled out separately from indoor gyms earlier this would still apply. As far as I know our gym is operating as usual but we are a small gym. Maybe different for some of the big places with huge rec programs. I will be curious to see.

My sons club swim couch told us yesterday pools were removed from list of restricted locations. I think this bodes well for gymnastics gyms as well because they were both on the list of things that got moved to phase 1.5. Time will tell I guess.

mls529

Proud Parent
Feb 12, 2016
Country
USA
@SMH I hadn't heard these rules - did they come out of the governors office? We are also waiting on IHSA announcements too

Dahlia

Proud Parent
Sep 27, 2013
Country
USA
Our owner found out today that gymnastics is not included, thankfully.

Oopski

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Judge
May 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Cases are actually finally on a downswing here (central TX) but no meets near us have been scheduled yet, not even in-house ones I don’t think. Our gym did just have us renew our USAG memebership... so not sure if that means they have something planned or not.

Reactions: Kittentoes

lostinfog

Proud Parent
May 3, 2020
Country
USA
Cases are actually finally on a downswing here (central TX) but no meets near us have been scheduled yet, not even in-house ones I don’t think. Our gym did just have us renew our USAG memebership... so not sure if that means they have something planned or not.
I checked yesterday and now most TX districts have put out the 2020 schedule and associated gyms that will host the meets. I’ve not heard any guidance from our gym. We have been asked to renew USAG though.

Reactions: springsforlegs

Oopski

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Judge
May 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
I checked yesterday and now most TX districts have put out the 2020 schedule and associated gyms that will host the meets. I’ve not heard any guidance from our gym. We have been asked to renew USAG though.
I just logged into the judges scheduling website for Texas, there are now three meets listed. one in Allen, TX and two in McKinney, TX. None of them have judges assigned.

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
LOF is right though, they do have schedules out, with assigned gyms for the compulsory season now. But just a few days ago they didn't so that may be why no judges yet.

I am kind of newsed out unless something dramatically changes, but my understanding is that about two weeks after the mask order, our local hospitalizations stopped skyrocketing. Our gym only has the spring season, so we'll get to see what happens with meets in the fall.

In our state, if practice is allowed to happen, I'd bet anything in house meets with limited spectators would be fine. I know a friend already had a dance competition last month.

Our gym has not had us renew our memberships yet. Usually they would have, and we would also have our meet schedule and be at least one payment in. We have no idea what will happen. And as much as I usually freak out without a detailed plan, I'm fine with that. Who knows what things will look like in January. We could be on the other side of this, or we could be buried under a resurgance during flu season. Right now my kid is in the gym working, so it's cool. I know several of the giant area meets are apparently happening. We'll see how that goes!

bookworm

Proud Parent
Oct 3, 2009
On my couch either reading or doing nothing...
Country
USA
I know several of the giant area meets are apparently happening. We'll see how that goes!
I'm floored to see "several of the giant area meets are apparently happening" .... I can't imagine how an event like a large meet can even think of proceding/planning in the next year as the country is in the grips of this pandemic ...full disclosure, I'm in an area where our virus rates have decreased but we've been under a mask mandate going into our 4th month and schools are unlikely to fully open even with that .... I couldn't imagine signing my kid up for a giant meet or traveling to such an event in these times....I would think that smaller, in house options would be the safer option for competing at least for this season...

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA

Ignore the weird preview - it clicks through to the Biles meet.

And two others that usually have 2-3 full sessions running at a time - at a convention center - in December and Jan.

amiandjim

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Apr 18, 2015
Country
USA

Ignore the weird preview - it clicks through to the Biles meet.

And two others that usually have 2-3 full sessions running at a time - at a convention center - in December and Jan.
We host a large meet in January, with 3 gyms running. It’s supposed to be a NL Cup qualifier this year, and we are proceeding with planning. USAG has said they will sanction meets, and as long as we can adhere to local and state guidelines, I assume the meet will happen. Will it be different? Yes.

MuggleMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
Country
USA
We have a big meet we do annually but I have no idea if it will go as planned or not, ours has international competitors from several other countries come. I hope we do a smaller version this year just to keep the tradition, however only time will tell I guess. I feel like now a days you have to plan optimistically but be ready to cancel.

Reactions: amiandjim

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
We host a large meet in January, with 3 gyms running. It’s supposed to be a NL Cup qualifier this year, and we are proceeding with planning. USAG has said they will sanction meets, and as long as we can adhere to local and state guidelines, I assume the meet will happen. Will it be different? Yes.
My big issue is that my state isn't exactly on top of safety guidelines, and the ones they do make, people feel free to flout and there is little enforcement. So a giant meet seems extra scary. It would depend totally on the owner of the hosting gym whether precautions were taken seriously and I wouldn't know if they would be until I got there. Maybe things will be better by then.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!