AAU Ages? Can 18 year olds Compete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I guess this would fit in the Adult Gymnastics thread but I figured I'd post here that way if someone else knows the answer they can answer. :D

Question:
Can 18 year olds (Or over, I mean I turn 18 in August, so I'll just be 18) compete AAU?
Is that possible?
I've heard some of the other gymnasts on here say something about Adults competing AAU. So I was just wondering.

I realize I may be the oldest competing level 4. But I just want to do it for fun!! My gym is completely fine, just wondering according to the AAU rules.

Several years ago AAU opened up an adult division. I competed level 4 as a 20yr old and went to nationals. I assume they still have it, but I can't say for sure. Just be forewarned that although there is an adult division a lot of gyms group you with the 14+ age group or something similar. I was competing against kids a lot younger than me quite frequently.

Not sure about level 4. I know they have ladies division which is highschool age and adults that don't have the time to devote hours in the gym. But I want to say it is only mod op or mod 8 which the requirements are at least level 5ish skills and mod 8 is level 8 skills. I know with Ladies you do not have to compete AA so if you have the skills on like beam and vault you could compete those 2. Anyways sorry wasn't much help, good luck!

I do the AAU Ladies Division. I will actually be competing at Nationals this year for it.

It's pretty cool and you can find the rule book online at AAUgymanstics.org. It spells out the rules for the Ladies' divisions. The lowest for the adults is Intermediate Optional. The rules changed this year a bit, so this Intermediate Optional level is very similar to level 5 requirements. A few requirements include: an acro element on beam, two tumbling passes with three flight elements, and a front handspring on vault. The bars require a 'B' element (such as a clear hip), but really, there's only like a .2 deduction for each missing requirement. Also, all routines are "optional" so you wouldn't have to do the Level 4 routines, but could come up with your own.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have. This is my second year doing AAU Ladies (I just found out about it last year) and might be able to answer them. Good luck!:floor:

My coach is in her 40's and she does the ladies division. it is really fun to watch and most leets include that level. Good luck! and have fun:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back