AAU Nationals Virginia Beach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would love to go, but I don't think I will make it this year.

I just found a gym around my area that offers an open gym time each weekend. I've been working out for the past few weekends and am really enjoying it.

I just wouldn't know where to start as to entering and coming up with routines for the meet that is only a few months away though. Maybe I can plan on doing it next year, because I think it would be tons of fun.

Good Luck to all of you competing :)

Our little adult team here in Myrtle Beach "The Blonde Squad" are all planning on being there. The only problem I might have is that a good friend of my husband's is getting married July 31st and my husband is the best man so as long as the ladies division compete Sunday Aug 1st I can come otherwise I'm certain the other two are going.
I don't believe they have a ladies 7 though. I just got the info today and Ladies Division only has level 8 and intermediate optional. Kendall is doing level 8 but only vault, floor and beam and Ruth and I are doing intermediate optional all around.

What exactly does the Intermediate Optional mean? I did have a look on the website, but couldn't find anything.

Another (unrelated!) question, I'm moving to New York in September and have found a few gyms that offer adult classes but they seem pretty expensive - what's the average cost of classes in the US? I'm coming to study music at the Juilliard School, so I probably won't have time for anything else anyway, but I'd love to keep gymnastics going if I can.

What exactly does the Intermediate Optional mean? I did have a look on the website, but couldn't find anything.

Another (unrelated!) question, I'm moving to New York in September and have found a few gyms that offer adult classes but they seem pretty expensive - what's the average cost of classes in the US? I'm coming to study music at the Juilliard School, so I probably won't have time for anything else anyway, but I'd love to keep gymnastics going if I can.

Our adult class is $15 per class (drop in basis) for 1 hr. or $20 for 1.5 hr. Open gym is $6 for 1 hr. or $8 for 1.5 hr.

Our adult class is $15 per class (drop in basis) for 1 hr. or $20 for 1.5 hr. Open gym is $6 for 1 hr. or $8 for 1.5 hr.

Thanks, that looks more reasonable! I'll keep looking then..

I can't quite remember where I happened to find the requirements because I was trying to find them the other day and I was struggling to find them again but what I remember mostly was the following:
Vault: anything from a handspring vault(9.4 start value) to a 1/2 on 1/2 off to a handspring 1/1 (the hardest allowed in this level)
Bars: 5 A skills & 1 B skill with one bar change
Floor: 2 tumbling passes with 3 flight elements, one B turn, one salto element and I can't remember the rest
Beam: 1/1 turn, jump or leap series (so 2 jumps with connections or leap then jump), one acro element with or without flight and dismount with flight with or without hands and must have one B element for no deduction
I hope this helps some. I will continue to look for the rules

Maybe next year my knee will be better and I will be able to go!

I was checking flights and they are pretty cheap relatively, talked to B and he wants to go. Guess I need to keep working routines, since everyone at the gym is in off season now. Its OK, I can just do some here and there but still uptrain primarily.

So after reading everyone else's posts on here about the meet, I am really wanting to go and compete.

What's the difference between level 8 and Intermediate Optional? I am 30 and use to be a level 9, but that was 18 years ago. I just recently started working out during an open gym, but it's just one day a week, on Sundays, and it's not every Sunday.

Since I am in Va, I would love to try and compete if I can get some skills back and come up with routines. Do you need a coach to go with you, because I am not sure if I can get one to come or not.

If you look at my previous post I put a link to the requirements for intermediate optionals, just go to page 7 of the rule book after you go to that link. Level 8 is basically the same as USGA 8 only difference is no time limit on floor and beam. The nice thing is for those who don't think they are ready to compete, if you look at the rules for intermediate optionals if you miss an element its just .2 or .3 off so you might be more ready than you think. Also you do not have to compete all around. You can pick and choose what events you want to do. The one girl whose competing was out of gymnastics for about 17 years and has a knee injury so is not able to satisfy all the requirements but she is still competing and doing pretty well so don't count yourself out just because you can't do all the elements. Oh and by the way remember a B element could just be a 1.5 turn on the floor. Also if you're not sure what a B element would be ask a coach and they should know. Anyway hope this post has helped some of you.

So after reading everyone else's posts on here about the meet, I am really wanting to go and compete.

What's the difference between level 8 and Intermediate Optional? I am 30 and use to be a level 9, but that was 18 years ago. I just recently started working out during an open gym, but it's just one day a week, on Sundays, and it's not every Sunday.

Since I am in Va, I would love to try and compete if I can get some skills back and come up with routines. Do you need a coach to go with you, because I am not sure if I can get one to come or not.

I was told last year adults don't need a coach with them, but if you have one to help you with board settings etc. its fine.

there are at least 2, maybe 4 or 5 of us going!
for io skills, it is like .2 if you don't have something.
it will be great to meet everyone. i wonder if we will all rotate together?

Katy is anyone doing ladies level 8? I feel like I'm right between that level and intermediate optional, and I'm not fully healed yet so not sure what to enter. I def. don't have L8 routines just yet, but I still have 2 months.

In case anyone didn't realize, the ladies level 8 from what I can tell from aau handbook, special requirements are worth 0.2 not 0.5 like in usag, which might be helpful for me LOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News