Acrobatic Gymnastics questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pirouette

Proud Parent
Our family hosts exchange students. For next school year, we were recently sent a profile of a student from Spain who competes in acrobatic gymnastics. She trains 12 hours per week, and is interested in continuing her training during her exchange year. I googled information and acrobatic looks very interesting -- and very different from what my DD does in artistic. The google search was not very helpful with these questions:

Are there many acrobatic gymnastics options in the US? Should I be googling rhythmic?

Could a 14/15 year old athlete transition to artistic for the year? (My DD does Xcel)

Are international/exchange students allowed to compete in the US if they are living and schooling here?

Anyone know what it might cost in Spain to train this sport? We would want to give her an idea of what her training costs here would be, and how they would compare.

The videos I watched showed beautiful artistry accompanied by remarkable athleticism. I've never seen a competition here for this sport.

Other thoughts?

If acro isn’t available where you live I would think rhythmic would be a better substitute than artistic. Are there rhythmic clubs near you?

No, looks like closest club is about an hour's drive. Not something we are able to offer her at this time, unfortunately.

No, looks like closest club is about an hour's drive. Not something we are able to offer her at this time, unfortunately.
Maybe she would be willing to try artistic. I am thinking Xcel might be fun for her as it would allow for varying levels of difficulty on different events.

Be aware that the list on USAG's site may not be the most current representation of what's available in your area. I know of two in our area that no longer have acro teams but are on that list, and one that is newer that is not represented there. I think your best bet is to call the one closest to you and ask for the teams they know of in the area.

I don't know where you're at, but Acro has regions just like artistic, and your regional acro organization would also have the most current information.

I am a total newbie to having a kid in Acro so take this for what it is worth, but I agree with OzZee. I also agree with twinmomma about contacting anyone in your region who has an Acro program, there may not only be other gyms with some type of acro program, there may well be coaches around who have coached acro but are currently coaching at artistic only gyms. There seems to me to be enough overlap for any willing artistic gym/coach to allow an Acro gymnast to maintain training. Competing is not likely to work as she would need at least one partner but it sounds like all she wants is to keep training which could boil down to working on strength, flexibility, balance and tumbling skills. As far as level I think she would just have to be assessed on her tumbling, flexibility and strength by the coach so they could figure out what artistic group she would fit best in. She may or may not want her own "blocks" which she could bring with her or purchase or borrow here. https://www.etsy.com/market/acro_blocks I am pretty sure only tops use blocks for training but not sure. Who knows, she might spark some Acro fever at the gym! It is a cool sport.

Great info -- thanks! We should find out in a week or two if she accepts our offer of hosting her (after the background checks, etc.). It will be interesting exploring this "new" sport!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back