Parents Adding practice days for 5yr old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BellesMommy

Proud Parent
My just turned 5yr old has caught the gymnastics bug. She wants to practice all the time at home. She is in an advanced preschool class for 45min once a week.
She currently has a pull over, back hip circle, cartwheel, handstand, handstand to bridge, and a kickover. Her coach really wants her to move to a hot shots class that meets twice a week for 1hr 30mins.

Every single thread on here talks about how these early bloomers are the ones that won’t stick with it. I really don’t want to burn her out because she loves it.(if she wanted to quit tomorrow, that’s fine too) She is begging me to let her move up, but I don’t want to push her too fast.
I am new to all of this, what do you guys think?

At 5, I would recommend twice a week. She should still be wanting more, it shouldn’t burn her out. Once a week can be hard because muscle memory only lasts 3-4 days, and little ones memories are short, so the two days a week can really help it all click and come together.

I agree. It sounds like a good amount of time for a five year old. Good for you for being aware and asking if it’s too much. You will always get an honest answer from this group.

My just turned 5yr old has caught the gymnastics bug. She wants to practice all the time at home. She is in an advanced preschool class for 45min once a week.
She currently has a pull over, back hip circle, cartwheel, handstand, handstand to bridge, and a kickover. Her coach really wants her to move to a hot shots class that meets twice a week for 1hr 30mins.

Every single thread on here talks about how these early bloomers are the ones that won’t stick with it. I really don’t want to burn her out because she loves it.(if she wanted to quit tomorrow, that’s fine too) She is begging me to let her move up, but I don’t want to push her too fast.

I there I have 5 daughters and 3 caught that bug one I dropped bc she had adhd/ocd ect/ the other two since they were 4 they have been going 5 days a week started at 3 hrs a night now they go 5 hrs a night, and level 10's now in 7/8 grade. Hope this helped!

I also think twice a week is fine as long as the class seems fun to her and not like a job. I think mine started going twice a week at 3 just because it was fun.

I wanted to address your statement about the early bloomers not staying with it. I think the sentiment is that early bloomers are not any more likely to stay with it than the later bloomers, and that there are a lot of traps waiting along the way for the young and talented that can lead to a high rate of burnout. Most moms of talented littles think that because their kid is so talented, they're going to go all the way, whatever that might mean to them. But they quit at the same rate as their "less talented" peers - more so if 1) parents are consciously or unconsciously pushing them, 2) a huge deal is made by parents or coaches about how much they win or that they're the best, or how fast they get skills, 3) they're pushed up too fast just because they're talented enough to do it. (I know several crazy-talented young girls who quit after skipping several levels.) We know a lot of early bloomers who are still going - either at the same accelerated rate they were as littles, or now a slower pace. :)

Agree with the others. Also wanted to add - one easy way to keep her wanting more is to institute a "no gymnastics at home" rule. Don't be tempted to buy her equipment for her to practice on, even if she begs. This will also prevent her from developing bad habits from practicing the skills incorrectly

90 minutes twice a week is perfect for a 5-year-old who loves the gym. 90 minutes is long enough that they have time to do some real work and aren’t spending the entire class on transitions between activities. And a whole week is such a long time to wait between classes at that age.

My DD moved to her current gym, competitive gym at 5.5, in the summertime. I’m pretty sure she started out at 9 hours for preteam. She had been taking classes for 2.5 years prior to the move. I can’t remember how many hours she took at the old gym at 4 & 5, but it was 2-4 hours, I think. She also took 3-4 hours a week of dance classes at the time. She did fine.
As for burnout, it happens, but it’s been my experience that it is more prevalent when a 7-9 year old is just starting out but shows incredible natural ability and the rush to get that child ‘caught up.’ On the flip side, I’ve seen new 7-9 year olds without as much natural ability that really want to go the distance go through the same ‘rush’ and handle it fine. It’s such an individual kind of thing. Hardest part is not getting swept up yourself.

I have the same a 5 year old going 90 min 2x a week. Everything I’ve researched has shown this is totally fine. The activity and exercise is great for them. I think individuals are more referring to anything over 6 hours a week at this age. Especially 5 year olds that are close to 6 and training level 3 which could be up to 10 -12 hours a week. I don’t advise that at all. I think 2x a week would be great for your little one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back