Parents Adjusting to wearing a bra for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD will wear the Under Armour Sports bras with baggy tank tops and they seem pretty comfortable and dont look to ride up. Not too expensive but well made. Nike has some different style and fabrics for sports bras as well. Also we sometimes call them crop tops instead of sports bras she make like that naming convention better ;) I didnt like Bra Bras under leos I preferred sports bras and felt they "stayed in place" better.

For day to day if she hates bras try tank tops with a shelf bra (just call it a shelf tank so you don't use the B word). Now that I dont have to go into the office thats what I wear around the house almost every day. A little support so you arent all over the place but without the discomfort of a full on bra. Plus then its not a "bra" if its the idea of the garment thats giving her issues right now.

My DD started out with cheapie ones from Old Navy, Target etc. Now at 14 she loves the $$ ones from Athleta and Lulu. That said, in a well lined Leo she will go without a bra with no problems.

You do have the find the bra that is comfortable for her. If it's riding up, then it's just not. It took us a lot of trial and error to find comfortable ones for practice.

If you're still looking and want a recommendation, my daughter loves the Bluet bras https://bleuetgirl.com/ . You have to order, but they are soft and stay in place. She just wears the basic one (doesn't need the support of the others yet). She'll even wear it to bed because she forget to take it off! (which, IMO, means it's super comfortable because I definitely don't forget to take mine off!)

You do have the find the bra that is comfortable for her. If it's riding up, then it's just not. It took us a lot of trial and error to find comfortable ones for practice.

If you're still looking and want a recommendation, my daughter loves the Bluet bras https://bleuetgirl.com/ . You have to order, but they are soft and stay in place. She just wears the basic one (doesn't need the support of the others yet). She'll even wear it to bed because she forget to take it off! (which, IMO, means it's super comfortable because I definitely don't forget to take mine off!)
Thank you! Will definitely check these out!

I agree that lined leos would be the best solution, but I have never come across any. Even in her dark-colored, what-I-thought-was-quality comp leo it’s super obvious. I’d love to hear where to find lined leos, if anyone knows.

I was just looking at Athleta and they have some longer/crop top style bras that I think we will try. In a smaller size (thank you @Tigtimes.) I told her she does not have to wear them regularly until she is ready. What I’m trying to do is resolve any external barriers that are contributing to her opposition.

Thanks all!
Athleta bras are the bomb. I do not represent them, btw....but my kid LOVES them, they don't ride up, and they have cool straps. When she wore hers to gym, all the other little tweens thought they were so cool and off they went....to Athleta, lol. They also have padding that you can either take out or sew the area closed where they are to keep the tiny little pads in....mine seriously loves them. They rock.

Athleta bras are the bomb. I do not represent them, btw....but my kid LOVES them, they don't ride up, and they have cool straps. When she wore hers to gym, all the other little tweens thought they were so cool and off they went....to Athleta, lol. They also have padding that you can either take out or sew the area closed where they are to keep the tiny little pads in....mine seriously loves them. They rock.
Cool straps are worth a lot, haha! Thank you!

If it is just bras she doesn't like, why not try one piece undergarments? GK has one that I used when I had a hard time adjusting myself. Its a one piece, super thin undergarment with a shelf bra attached. The only problem with these is they tend to give wedgies, but its just a small compromise you would have to make. The one I used had clear straps, perfect for competition which never snappe. Sure its a bit pricey, but worth it.

Here is the link: https://www.gkelite.com/products/1487

My DD is super petite and still doesn't "need" a bra at 12, but she has been wearing the super soft bralettes since she was 10 because all the other girls her age were. She is also extremely modest and wears them under all clothes even pajamas. She is a texture person and will not wear clothes that feel funny, so we had to go through several varieties before she found her favorites. Tagless is the best. Bralettes over real bras. Sports bras under leos that have skinnier straps work much better for her rather than the thick ones. She bought several different brands, tried them on here at home, and some went back immediately. Try lots, figure out what about each one she doesn't like (like thick straps) and go from there.

I am looking for experienced advice on how to help my daughter transition into wearing a bra specifically in the gym. I searched past threads and didn’t find anything that addresses my specific questions.

She is 10.5 and has started to show through most shirts and leos. I bought her some beginner bras which she is resisting (“I’ll never be free again!”) and while I remember feeling that way about it too, she’s going to have to come around because it is no longer inconspicuous. I told her she does not have to wear one all the time right away, but to please try them out for an hour or so each day and try to get used to it, figure out which style she likes best, etc. She obliged but got grouchy and proceeded to give them resentful nicknames (like I think the gray one is “The Worst” and the light blue one is “Death” lol.) When I suggested she could try wearing one at gym today her demeanor changed from grouchy to tears. She is mostly worried about how it rides up whenever she lifts her arms. I feel bad for her; trying to adjust to a bra during normal life is depressing enough, let alone while doing gymnastics! I didn’t push it and she did not end up wearing one today.

Besides giving it time, how else can I help her? Is there something we can do to mitigate the riding up issue or is that an inevitable annoyance early on? Are there leos out there with built-in light modesty padding? Are there styles or brands your girls have had success wearing for gymnastics particularly during this early stage? Did you do anything that worked particularly well on the mental/emotional front? How long does it normally take to adjust to doing gymnastics with new layers of attire? I didn’t do any sport of this caliber so I have little frame of reference.
I attempted to post and somehow it got eaten. Athleta bras are the most amazing sports bras I have ever seen for a kid, and they are not just comfortable, they provide options. Don't like the racer back? They have cool cross back designs. Thin straps and thick. And you can take out the mini little circular pads that are extra if you like. We used to, but now my kid leaves them in, and a mere two stitches with a needle and thread keeps them in. They are seriously THE BOMB. And no we don't rep for them, lol. Just amazing, and we tried everything else. Good luck!

If she is more comfortable without it and she is happier not wearing one... let it be. Maybe once her other teammates begin to wear them she will want to too.

We have liked justice and under armor sports bras and there is a new-ish company founded in an amazing mission for "regular" girls bras called Bluet. I actually love them too. (I am not sure my girls wear them under leos though)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back