Adult BHS and impatience - pleaseee help!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MarinaAngel

Proud Parent
Gymnast
So, ive been doing gymnastics (as an adult) for around 5 months now. I go to class (1.5 hours) 2 times a week. I work out a little at home but really not much honestly.

The thing is i realllllllyyy (and i can not emphasise how much) really really want to get a back handspring.

I am getting stronger in other skills, really fast i think. I have a good handstand pop and a powerful roundoff according to my coach.

I am at the point where at one class i do the BHS on the trampoline with a spot, and at the other on the floor with a Mat and a spot. Never tried it with out a spot and my coach has said im not consistent enough yet to do it even on the trampoline alone.

However i am sooooo impatient and now getting blocked about it. Last practise was so awful and i even started adding in this weird twist which i never did before!

Its stressing me out.

And im not really working on anything else as this is really the only skill i want right now.

I feel like im making it a problem but now im psychologically telling myself i wont ever get this, ive left it too late im too old, ill fall on my head and DIE if i try to do it alone ever.

Tell me this is normal and all part of the process? Tell me im impatient and ahead of myself? Tell me im a big idiot?

Oh or also if you could give me practical tips thatd be great too!

Please because im about really to give up

With love x a budding old gymnast x

Continue practicing, listen to your coach and... don't try too hard. I strongly advise you to work on other skills (maybe front tumbling ? Some vault or bars skills ?). No one can do the same thing over and over again during one hour without developping bad habits, that's just not how the mind and the body work. You will become physically tired of doing the same motion over and over again and mentally exhausted for the same reasons.

Obviously you should go on with working on it, but you should move on and work on something else as soon as the quality of whatever you are doing start declining. If possible, stop before it gets bad so that you can end on a good one.

Continue practicing, listen to your coach and... don't try too hard. I strongly advise you to work on other skills (maybe front tumbling ? Some vault or bars skills ?). No one can do the same thing over and over again during one hour without developping bad habits, that's just not how the mind and the body work. You will become physically tired of doing the same motion over and over again and mentally exhausted for the same reasons.

Obviously you should go on with working on it, but you should move on and work on something else as soon as the quality of whatever you are doing start declining. If possible, stop before it gets bad so that you can end on a good one.

Wow. Thanks. This is really what i needed to hear. Its the only skill ive been working on, and i think youre right i need to give some thing else a go. Maybe ill do a one set of flicks each session then do other stuff. Feels like a great plan. Thanks for responding!

Again, Thank you. I totally chilled out and stopped over thinking. I explained my concerns to my coach. Anyway long stort, yesterday evening i did a BHS on the trampoline with a mat, by myself. So so made up. Still so much to work on but not gonna Rush and over think.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have only been doing gymnastics for five months, it usually takes the kids a few years to get to this skill not a few months! It will come.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have only been doing gymnastics for five months, it usually takes the kids a few years to get to this skill not a few months! It will come.

Thank you!!! I know im being very impatient. I think partly being as old as i am, i feel a bit like its now or never!!! But yes i need to relax a bit, last session was much better so feeling much more positive. Thanks for you reply

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back