Adult gymnastics, getting started

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

beyondmyfootsteps

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I'm in my 40's, but did gymnastics as a child. At age 32/33 I was coaching and would spend some time after my last class "playing". I was able to do a front and back tuck on trampoline, round off back handspring on floor, got to a point I could do a split with my dominant leg. Nothing earth shattering, I lost the ability to kick over in a bridge despite being able to do those other things so my flexibility had deteriorated even back then.

Since then I was in a car accident which left me with 2 cervical disk herniations and I have had 3 c-sections and feel I haven't been able to get my strength or flexibility back at all. In fact my muscles and joints generally feel very weak and stiff, my stomach and shoulders hurt when I push up into a bridge. I started running/walking a few times a week and that's going okay and I'm losing some "baby weight" as I felt that needed to be step 1. A gym not far from me is offering adult gymnastics classes and I'm so unbelievably tempted to sign up, but feel I am not nearly strong or flexible enough to do much and seriously risk hurting myself. 2 summers ago I was bouncing on a trampoline at a neighbor's house and got a pinching pain in my back left of my spine so likely muscular... it went away but forced me to realize how out of "gymnastics-shape" I was. Any thoughts on how to slowly get back into shape to safely begin gymnastics classes? Any good regimens would be appreciated. I truly do not want to injure myself as I have 3 young kids to take care of but I need something fun to do for myself.

Try taking a Pilates or Yoga class. They work your core and develop both strength. And flexibility.

Reactions: sce
I think the first steps would be to start with strength training along with flexibility stretching. Maybe ask the gym if they start at a beginner level to get into some sort of shape as you slowly relearn balance and all the other stuff.

Yoga classes could be good for you, plus at home body weight exercises like planks, push-ups, dips, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. would prepare your body to start back with actual gymnastics moves.

I would still ask them for suggestions or if that is part of the classes.

Good luck. I was a figure skater and every winter when I skate with the kids i feel like i should still be able to do the stuff i could. I can't. I find this out every year, lol.

I'm a touch shy of 40, with 2 C-sections and probably know how you feel.
I used to know exactly what my body would do and now I don't trust it.
I've also had some spine issues and hernia type stuff happening.

I haven't been for a while (weather, kids, sickness) but I found that for me, going to a structured adults gym class was great. I did the warm up, stretching and conditioning sections - but only to the extent that I could do them.
By the time they moved on to floor work I was exhausted and sat and watched the show. Then I'd do a bit of stuff in the corner by myself.
I liked feeling like I was part of the group but having the ability to sit out anything I wasn't ready for.

There was also usually someone with a sore shoulder or something, keen for a backrub or a chat that would sit out occassionally.
My strength and flexibility increased a lot from the limited amount I was doing at the time and it was fun. I personally don't want to go to a group yoga or Pilates class, just not my thing, so this was both good for me physically and a nice bit of social time with people who you kind of 'get'.
The time out from the kids was great too.

I would start with doing light jumping and core strengthening at home, and maybe even handstands. Once in class just go slower than you think you need to and build up. Ask the instructor for his/her opinion. If you are on facebook, check out our adult gym group 'just like fine wine...adult gymnastics' and maybe some others there can share their experience. good luck!

Trampolining is much harder on the body than gymnastics, so avoid that especially if you have back issues.

Pilates and yoga are great ways to get back in to things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back