advantages/disadvantages of "skipping" level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is tough-I used to move kids fast & skip levels. But I found that it eventually catches up with MOST kids- either by doing 2 years of a level later on, being out with an injury, or having fear issues to slow them down. I now move most kids through every level, and its working, but we are training up and just competing at the lower level. They do probably 2 compulsory routines a night, but the rest of the time work on uptraining. It works for us- and I can really focus on developing excellent basics, form & technique. It also concerns me how short a time your daughter has been in gym--why not slow down & perfect those basics? I also have a 9 yo TOPs kid I am currently coaching & she has all her L7 skills-giants, bhs on beam, cartwheel dismount, etc, but she will compete L6. For this athlete its is very important for her to stay with her friends, and she has trouble w/ flexibility so we are concentrating on that aspect, as well as the dance & presentation aspect. I'm thinking it will help her be a better gymnast in the long run! I hope it all works out for your DD.:)

Last edited:
This all gets so confusing especially when the levels and skills are changing in a few years. Our children's path should be based on the skills they are competent at , the skills they are working to get and the child themselves. Not on what a compulsory routine dictates and the scores. If they have their skills move them up and if they don't or the skills are just okay do level 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back