WAG Advice for Rope Burns?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At a recent gymnastics practice, I received 4 severe rope burns. Throughout the entire practice, they hurt terribly. I understand that this is normal, but I'm wondering how I should be treating them in my off time. I am currently putting neosporin on them in the morning/right before I go to sleep. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Prevent them! Don't slide down the rope ;)
In the meantime, pretty much all you can do is what you're doing. Neosporin & try to keep it covered so it doesn't get infected.
You could try new skin for practice. It'll burn when you put it on, but it's a lot easier to deal with than a band aid.

Receiving 4 severe rope burns is not normal!

The first thing is of course to make sure you are climbing down not sliding down the rope. Secondly do you use legs to climb the rope. The rope is designed to develop upper body pull strength, if you are using legs this greatly diminishes the value and puts you in danger of severe rope burn.

If you don't use legs do you straddle your legs or do you have them on one side of the rope in pike?

My DD did something funny and kind of slipped on the rope once and got a bad one on her shoulder (yeah, I have no idea... I didn't see it), but we kept it covered and put some of those burn gel pads on it. It healed so well and she doesn't have a scar from it which I was worried she would.

My coach recommended wearing pants to me when I kept getting rope burned on my leg. I wasn't sliding I just happened to place my leg funny so that it rubbed as I climbed. Hope that helps!

Be very careful with these burns - ropes are one of the few things that absolutely cannot be disinfected. Keep a close eye on them and see your dr. with any suspected infection. Knee high socks are great for rope climbs just to be safe.

Receiving 4 severe rope burns is not normal!

The first thing is of course to make sure you are climbing down not sliding down the rope. Secondly do you use legs to climb the rope. The rope is designed to develop upper body pull strength, if you are using legs this greatly diminishes the value and puts you in danger of severe rope burn.

If you don't use legs do you straddle your legs or do you have them on one side of the rope in pike?
I do alternations between straddle and pike.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back