Off Topic Advice from other homeschooling families

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have decided to homeschool DD next year for Kinder. I'm only planning to do one year unless we both just love it. I guess I should say I'm taking it one year at a time.

I'm just not ready for my 5 year old to have to be somewhere 7 hours a day and do only a few hours of work. I'd rather she work at her own pace at home and still have time to take a nap, play etc. I know every mother probably thinks her child is brilliant, but she would be really bored in Kinder. She reads pretty well and picks up everything really quick.

I'd appreciate any advice experienced homeschoolers have. I'm thinking of using ABEKA. Give me your opinions if you have used it.

I go through Alpha Omega Academy and use the Switched on Schoolhouse CDs. I'm not sure if they handle kindergarten, but it may be something to look into.

Sounds like a lovely idea. Kids are in school much younger in the UK. Often half day at nursery from 2 and a half. Full day school from 4. If I could afford to I would have kept my kids at home until they were older.

Honestly, for kindergarten I would do something like Time 4 Learning Homeschool, After School, Summer Study - Time4Learning - Home and What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know. :) Unless the Kindergartens in your area are super academic. Otherwise, if you plan on putting her in school in 1st grade, you could run into her being bored again.

Homeschooling is really great. I recommend you find a homeschooling group in your area and join. It is great for kids that are homeschooled to get to hang out with other homeschooled kids and great for us parents, too. Support Groups - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling Support Groups Click on your state and check some out. Many offer field trips and fun activities throughout the school year as well as support and friendship. You might find it so fun, you don't want her to go to school ever! :D

Local homeschooling groups are a great place to check out curriculum for free as well. I spent so much on stuff that my kid didn't like. See if there is a local support group that has a lending library. Then you can see if your daughter likes it first. :) I do get that lots of people like a full curriculum. We unschool, so have bits and pieces from different places. And we don't "do" school in a traditional sense, so my opinions may not work for you.

Have homeschooled 3 for 13 years, oldest graduates this year.

In all seriousness, and many may choose to disagree, kindergarten is subsidized daycare. Do not waste your money on formal curricula. Teach your child the same as you have up until now.

Spend your time on important things like problem solving and decision making. Let her explore. Let her cook and clean with you, show her how to fix things. When she has questions show her how to find answers, with books, educational television, library, museum and experts. Read to her, even though she can read to herself, fiction, historical fiction, science, and everything else. Let her see how you find answers when you need them. Oh, and uh... TALK to you child and then LISTEN when she talks.

Let her show you what her interests are and explore them together. Let her show you WHO she is.

There is nothing the schools will cover in 1st grade that a well adjusted, confident, "uneducated" 6 yr old cannot catch up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a person who not only homeschools/unschools, but signs other homeschoolers' assessments (required in our state), I completely agree with nevertooold:

"Spend your time on important things like problem solving and decision making. Let her explore. Let her cook and clean with you, show her how to fix things. When she has questions show her how to find answers, with books, educational television, library, museum and experts. Read to her, even though she can read to herself, fiction, historical fiction, science, and everything else. Let her see how you find answers when you need them. Oh, and uh... TALK to you child and then LISTEN when she talks.

Let her show you what her interests are and explore them together. Let her show you WHO she is."

Play a lot of games, go to parks and nature centers, attend age- and interest-appropriate concerts and plays, let her see YOU interested in and curious about the world . . .

If you feel that you must have a curriculum, and most homeschoolers do those first couple years, a wonderful, quality one is Five In a Row, which is a literature-based, thematic curriculum that I have used at times in the past for my children. Designed for all ages of children,they use many classic children's stories, and all subjects explored together are based upon whichever story you choose. They offer different suggestions for each subject so that you and your child may choose which one(s) to do. For example, in Madeline, you might choose to learn about France, study a few French words (could lead to an interest in learning more French, but, then again, it may not--either way is fine), cook a French meal, learn about anatomy, explain symmetry or even numbers (they line up in 2 even lines), etc. It's a fun, relaxing, self-led way to learn. (Writing about this is exciting me, as weird as that sounds; I think I'll have to dig it back out soon for whichever of my children might want to explore this way for a while! We have all loved all of the stories used, and many have become a part of our extensive home library. :) )

I'm homeschooling 1st and 2nd grades right now. Both my kids love Time 4 Learning and will be doing it again next year. However, mine also do a fair amount of workbooks, too, although I don't know that this is necessary in kindergarten. I'm with the other posters on that. Take it easy and follow her lead. T4L is a great tool for kids that enjoy the computer. You could also look into software like the Jump Start series.

This thread could not have come at a better time for us. I know the original question was regarding starting to homeschool kindergarten. Does anyone have any advice or resources for someone starting to homeschool high school age? Or tips?... LOL...Warnings? ;)

Thanks for all the advice.

We actually have Time4Learning already and while it's good, DD doesn't really love sitting at the computer. She will do a little, but gets bored easily. She likes to cut, draw, write, make things etc. She actually LOVES to do workbooks. I understand because I was the same way as a kid. I bought an ABEKA book at a garage sale and she really enjoys it.

My situation is a bit different in that I actually work full-time. I'm a elementary school teacher of all things. DD stays with my mom and my mom is actually going to be doing most of the homeschooling. She really wants a structured program. She homeschooled one of my younger siblings in high school and that's what she's feels comfortable with. We had a plan to only do structured schooling 3 days a week for just a few hours and whatever DD wants to do on the other 2 days.

I may end up homeschooling her for much longer, but I'm just taking it a year at a time. DD may want to go to school or we may hate homeschooling.

I think they only start with 3rd grade. I have looked at AO Lifepac. Have you ever used those?
I haven't used the Lifepac any. I'd say they would send you a sample or something if you're interested...though, AOA might be better if you continue with homeschooling and she gets into the more complicated stuff.

AGM...I find it funny that you are questioning this topic. It is in the "off topic" section. I think that it is totally reasonable that someone would ask this here as this is a very friendly board with many members who have stated in past posts that they homeschool. ;)

What does this have to do with gymnastics? Just asking. And I am not a fan of home schooling.

To be accurate, you are not "just asking" ... you are also voicing your negative opinion when it was not asked for.

This was posted as Off Topic:
"Off Topic A place to talk about things other than gymnastics."

Title is Advice from other homeschooling families.
Not Schooling families please give me your opinion of my lifestyle choices.

Oh silly me, I thought the Off Topic forum was for talking about anything off the topic of gymnastics. People should read before they ask stupid questions.

I thought this would be a great place to ask because I know many families here do homeschool. It's interesting that 6 months ago I had never imagined homeschooling. The idea just creeped into my head and I spent a good part of the last 6 months reading every book I could find trying to make a decision. I'll be the first person to admit that I've always thought very negatively about homeschooling. I just think it's the right fit for my child at this particular point in time. I work in a public school and I see many great things here everyday. I went to a public school and got a very good education. I hate the way people think choosing homeschooling means you think public education is bad. It's been a little tough telling my fellow teachers at school that I'm choosing to leave my kid at home. Some are very supportive and others look at me like I have two heads.

I went ahead and ordered ABEKA today. I'm excited and DD is excited.

To be accurate, you are not "just asking" ... you are also voicing your negative opinion when it was not asked for.

This was posted as Off Topic:
"Off Topic A place to talk about things other than gymnastics."

Title is Advice from other homeschooling families.
Not Schooling families please give me your opinion of my lifestyle choices.

You are correct. I don't usually look at this forum. Did not mean to offend.

But it seems that you are awfully defensive about your "lifestyle choice". Is no one allowed to disagree? Thought that was what a "forum" was for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back