Parents Advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dh and I are having a slight disagreement. WE leave for vacation at the end of this week and I have considered calling one of the gyms to see if DD could join them for one L4 practice that week. Just to keep her from loosing an entire week. DD is going to be doing Gymnastics on the beach and I know totally missing a workout. DH thinks I have gone over the deep end. Would you take her for an open gym or call to see about a practice just to keep her up on her things?? Mind you she is SOOOOOOO close to her front hip and her mill circle that the bar fairy has been circling all night. DD said she want to visit a gym to see what it is like.

I teased DH that if he could find a rink he would be taking DS for a skate or practice. He said nothing. So what would you do???

If she is just missing one week of practice, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids, whether they like it or not, need a break just to relax and play. If she is going to be on the beach, swimming and playing, that is enough of a "workout" where she doesn't need any time in the gym. If she feels the need to do some type of gym workout--stretching, ab-work and pushups would be more than enough. She won't lose any skills just by missing a week of practice.

My advice - coming form the mom of a young gymmie - is definately take the week off. Vacation should be to get away from everything - even the gym. Have fun, relax, and let the kids relax as well :)

I agree she wont loose that much in a week. I'm sure she'll be doing handstands all over the place while she's out of the gym. I think when they come back they are more motivated to do more. My dd gets 2 weeks off after the state meet and 2 weeks off when school starts and during christmas has another week off -thats pretty much it . Better to have them wanting to get back to the gym than to have them tired of it. Have fun on your trip!!!

I agree that a week off won't hurt. Our gym closes for two separate weeks over the summer with no ill effects. However, if your DD wants to visit another gym, I would let her.

Totally agree with everyone else. She and the rest of the family need a week without structured gymnastics. She's not going to lose any skills and actually trying to practice in a gym she's not used to could cause a little frustration----different equipment, atmosphere.

Remember you'll all be quite busy soon enough with hockey and gymnastics so enjoy some down time. I'll bet she comes back more refreshed and ready to attack those bar skills.

Have to add a whole other perspective here. Last year we were in the same situation. It was our daughter's first year as a L4 and we had a late vacation scheduled in Florida (Aug) for 10 days. Missed the in house meet too! We did no gymnastics. However, because my DD had so much time off so close to the first comp (Sept) she was not allowed to compete with her teamates. They felt she lost too much time and wasn't quite ready. I was even in a gym (Sun Country) in Gainesville to watch a relative do a rec class and could have easily had my DD do a practice there just for fun had I know the gym was going to hold her because of ourt vacation. My DD was DEVASTATED watching her whole team compete without her. She went to be a good sport but I know it killed her! She had to go to 2 meets by herself just to "catch-up" with the other teamates who already qualified for sectionals that first meet.

So, if this is your DD's first time as a L4, and learning those routines, and she will soon be competing, ask what the policy is for vacation/missed time close to competiton. I know if we did vacation now it wouldn't matter as much because she is doing L4 again and knows the routines, but we do have rules about missing practice close to meets reg season. If you are starting in Sept like we do, it might not hurt to even do an open gym or join a practice if you are able too. I wouldn't stress it if you can't, or go out of my way to get her to a gym or make arrangements...but we were in a gym and could have had access to gym time and didn't take advantage of it, LOL

Good luck

Gymnastics is a year around sport in the summer they are getting new skills learning routines and then they are getting ready for meets polishing up the routines there is never an ideal time to take off.I never really like to have my dd miss practices but they do need a break every once in a while physically and emtionally.My DD missed 1 week this summer for vacation and there was no team practice the week of the trials and she has missed a day here and a day there due to we live in fl and during the summer have a lot of family come down .I have seen my dd due her best after she takes time off.

Last edited:
I wouldn't look for another gym, I would just enjoy your vacation. The whole team is on a 1 week vacation from practice this week. I am enjoying it. We will actually have dinner together at a reasonable hour ALL week this week. Amazing. LOL. I say let her do gymnastics on the beach if she chooses to, but to enjoy the break. :D

We are going on a 3 week vacation to another country.I was thinking about contacting a there to see if my dd could practice or maybe just see how they are practicing there.It seems like nothing is really close to the town we are going to and I don't want to spent my whole time on vacation around gymnastics either.Daughter's coach will give her a conditioning schedule while she is gone.As long she has her skills she will be able to compete that Level.Our seaso does not start until Jan.You may also want to ask her coach to see what he/she thinks.DD is able to do an extra day/week before we are leaving.

We always took my dd to gyms while we were on vacation. She has really good memories of this and it was like a camp...she was always treated as a "special" team member during those weeks. If she wants to do it and doesn't feel like she is being forced to or missing out on other family or vacation activities, I don't see a problem with it. Even now at Level 10, she still practices if she can while on vacation.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes a week off actually has them come back stronger since they are rested and refreshed. Also, is having her do practices while on vacation worth causing tension between you and dh. If she were preparing for a really big meet, then I could see it - but I say - enjoy your vacation. Also, as another poster mentioned - you could ask the coach for stretches and conditioning she can do if you are really concerned.

I think the question here should be what does your daughter want to do? Does she feel like she needs a break or is she concerned about missing practices? Does she want to visit a local gym? If so, does she want to do a whole week of practices with them or does she just want to go once? This is her vacation, too, and it won't be any fun for her if she is worried or upset about missing out on gymnastics while she's away.

I just think that at this young young age, taking her to a gym while she is on vacation gives gymnastics too much importance. She can still incorporate her love of gymnastics into her play safely and how a 5 year old should.

If she was older, with higher level skills or was going to compete in a few weeks and would miss competition because of it, then I could maybe see doing it. Or if you were going to be gone for several weeks.

Just my opinion. I don't want my DD to think that she IS gymnastics. It is a sport and it is fun for her and she loves it, but she isn't only gymnastics. If that makes any sense. I can never put onto paper what my head is thinking.

I also don't think it is worth a disagreement with DH over. Why take the chance of making problems when you are supposed to be going on vacation to have fun and get away from everything.

I just think that at this young young age, taking her to a gym while she is on vacation gives gymnastics too much importance.

I also don't think it is worth a disagreement with DH over. Why take the chance of making problems when you are supposed to be going on vacation to have fun and get away from everything.

Very good points, and I totally agree with both.

Let me just add that gymnastics takes over enough of your "regular" life when you have a kid who competes (and I guess if your dd is only 5, you're not there yet, but it sounds like you will be). Don't let it take over your vacation, too.

I am going to agree with the majority here.

For 1 week away, dont worry about trying to sneak a practice into your vacation. The family time ane memories is what your vacation is about.

If it were a longer trip or if your daughter were missing a meet or competiting at an optional level, I would consider a gym visit. That being said I dont think I would have Beetle at L8 go to a different gym if we were only gone a week.

Thank you everyone for your responces. DD is one of those crazy girls who the coach has to kick out of the gym. After 3 hours yesterday she would not leave she was wanting more work on her front hip. I know it is going to drive her nutty to not go to a gym and to not have her things like at home to practice that is why I was trying to figure out a small solution for her. DH has learned that he can voice his opinion but in the end he doesn't have much say. He just hands over the money and we are all happy.

Our gym doesn't close for any weeks. We had one week that we didn't have practice and it was only because they were doing a compeitive camp that was 40 hours that week. DD went 4 of the 5 days for 1/2 days. She was ticked every day that she was not allowed to do the full days like the rest of the team. Finally the last day they let her do all day. I asked her if she wanted the week off or to do the camp. She had her things ready to go before I got the alternative out of my mouth.

I think I am going to make the call and get some information and play it by ear. If we get a rainy day and DD is being a pain about it then we will go. If not then we will just hang at the beach. This is the first year we have ever considered anything like this. Typically we are at WDW and that is just not an option. So we will see what DD wants to do. DS is already asking if our hotel has an ice rink. We stayed at one once that did. He is wanting to pack his ice skates. LOL

Now if I could only find a vacation destination that has a hockey camp and Gymnastics camp going on at the same time and a beach for DH and I. I think we would have 4 happy people. I can dream, RIGHT????

I would talk to her coaches because I know it is againest our team policy to train at another gym even on vacation, they also have to get approval on any camps they attend. I do not how it would work as far as insurance, do other gyms just let non-members in for classes other than if they are considering switching gyms alot of open gyms are for members only. We took some vacations days this year 2-3 days and my daughter loved practicing her skills on the beach. She got alot of attention from the other beach goers and she even meet a girl who coaches, she came up to my daughter and they were doing ROBHS on the beach together. This was more fun for my daughter than a structured class. To be honest I do not see what would your daughter get out of going to another gym for a few days. Whatever you decide I hope your family has a great vacation.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back