Parents After 18+ Months, It is FINALLY Back! (A big Brag)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so anyone who has seen my posts knows that I have older gymmie (age 11.5, former L6, current Xcel Gold) and younger gymmie (age 8.5, Old 4 / New 3). You probably also know that on 2/26/12, we had gotten lost on the way to the meet... L6 OG got there and realized she had nail polish on her toes... with removing it, she was 5 minutes late to stretch with her team. She stretched and as soon as she was done, it was time to warm up floor. She was still feeling rushed, so she decided not to wait for the coach to come out to stand there (just in case) for her RO BHS BT. She decided to throw it anyways... and landed on her head... no major PHYSICAL damage, but it really scared the 10 year old that she was.
That was the LAST time she attempted one on the floor. She wouldn't even do them on the air track until the last month or so (and at first, it was 10-20 balks to one back tuck - not even connecting it to anything). Lately (last few weeks), she has been connecting he series on the air track with incredible height. I kept telling her that she would have it on the floor soon, but she didn't believe me.
Fast Forward to tonight... The coach that does the spotting is not there on Mondays, so HC sends the girls who are still working their skills to the Air Track. OG Does a couple really good ones in between her floor cross tumbling. On floor, she is just doing her RO2BHS. She was getting a lot of height out of the first BHS. Both HC and I told her that her hands were almost not touching on the 2nd BHS. Well, the next time she went, her hands DIDN'T touch.
The look on her face was PRICELESS! - a mix of SHOCK, PRIDE, AMAZEMENT, and TERROR:oops:! She didn't mean to do it, but was still really proud of herself. She went to try again a couple of times, but could only do a RO BHS... Frustration, ankle and wrist hurting... I suggest she go back to air track where there is less pressure on the joints. She headed over, but got sidetracked to the corner of the floor where she did an INTENTIONAL RO BHS BT... with height to spare! :cool:
She did one more for good measure before we had to leave... I hate having to leave early every night, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh and another brag - younger gymmie got her splits ALL the way down - with POINTED foot/ toes! If she can do that in a meet, her score will be much higher :)

I know first hand how you feel! My DD has struggled with the BHS on beam for 3 years! It is finally coming together for her and her confidence is skyrocketing! Your DD should be very proud of herself! I think overcoming a fear is the best feeling in the world! Def a life lesson! Big congratulation to your DD!!

Fantastic. She had the courage to stick at it and I hope she is walking on air :D
Thanks! To you and everyone else :)
She had actually "quit" gym in mid-August 2012 because she thought she HAD to do L6 and was too scared of the BT... and the option of dropping back to L5 was unthinkable. After that, I had never seen a child who looked more miserable, especially when we would take her little sister to practice. At the beginning of November, she told me that quitting was the biggest mistake she ever made. She wanted to come back to team. I had found out TWO DAYS earlier that she would be allowed to compete Xcel Gold even though she was only 11. She was very happy to hear that she could do Xcel and was back in the gym the next week. She continued to be terrified - but qualified for Nationals at her FIRST meet as a "Gold" and said that she wanted to work on betting her skills back. Now it has happened!

Our district has strict rules about when a girl can compete Xcel - High school age and not ready for L7 OR 12+ and stuck for a 3rd year at Old L4/ New 3 OR 11+ having competed Old L5 at least 1 season without qualifying for Nationals OR 10+ having competed Old L6 and not even come close to qualifying after having a successful L5 season.

that is so great!! I have never heard of Nationals for X-Cel, or these rules on ages for X-Cel (my DD competed a few meets as X-Cel Gold when she was 8, after her L5 season).

oops, forget my earlier post...I'm remembering you do Y gymnastics, so you probably have different rules :). Congrats again to your DD!!

Gymnasts who keep working at a skill for so long are truly inspirational. Good for your daughter!

And congrats to little DD, too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

that is so great!! I have never heard of Nationals for X-Cel, or these rules on ages for X-Cel (my DD competed a few meets as X-Cel Gold when she was 8, after her L5 season).
YMCA Nationals. As far as I know, there are Xcel Regionals, but not Nationals.
The age rules are for our YMCA District. Before the switch from Prep-Op to Xcel, the old rule was they had to be in high school. The district changed that for the 2012-13 season when Region 5 adopted the "National Rules" a year early. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back