Parents After reading Shawn Johnson's new book

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

maryRS

Proud Parent
There is something I'd like to bring up, though I'm worried I can't because it does involve weight. But I don't want to talk about weight really.

There is a part in the book when Shawn was on Dancing With the Stars and she was upset about her weight gain. One of the things she spoke about was how all her life she was told what to eat, and it was very strict and regulated. She mentions in the book about her and another gymnast "sneaking" food at one of the camps. I guess this shouldn't have surprised me, but it did, but then when I really thought about it does make sense that this was an issue. I guess in my head I wanted to believe that because Shawn Johnson was the muscular and not skinny type that everyone, including herself was all good with that.

Ok, so I get it, she was an elite and once you are at that point, you have a whole lot of people working with you to help you, and it would be crazy to think that nutrition would not be included. My son plays college soccer and my other son is a pretty serious player. With my college boy, there was often talk of nutrition and condition and what to eat before games and tournaments etc. With my younger son (entering HS) the talk of condition and fitness is there and the mention of nutrition, but definitely not at the same level. I have to wonder though if boys are different, because my neighbor, her daughter plays in college, and nutrition has been a huge part of her "soccer career" And yes, she did focus on weight, though I'm not sure if the focus was hers, or coming from somewhere else. She has told me if she gets over a certain weight it throws off her game.

I guess what I'm wondering is when does this start with serious gymnasts? Reading her book, she was not a casual gymnast, and while everyone talks about her easy practice schedule, she was practicing 20 hours a week by 2nd grade, so obviously there were big plans for her (maybe no one really knew just how big). She mentions that food and her weight was always an issue, and does mention having to get on the scale, though she didn't say if it was at her home gym or the training camp (I guess I have a hard time believing that Marta would not require you to get on the scale, and maybe I'm wrong for thinking that). For some girls a serious path is started very young. Is weight an issue and are they getting on a scale at 9 and 10 years old?

I'm not criticizing or condoning a practice. I really can see both sides, and I can also see that in a perfect world it would be handled in a proper, caring way, but our world is not always perfect, and also, girls perceptions at different times in their lives are not always predictable. I know my daughter would be extremely upset if anyone in the gym made her get on a scale. I don't think it would throw her into eat disorder land but it would definitely add anxiety. I also know kids who would probably not be phased by it.

Just a little curious here.

you can't believe what the girls 'pack' away in their suitcases when they go to the ranch. LOL! :) personally, i think the majority of coaches get to worked up over this topic. as i've stated before, go LOOK at all those college girls. awesome level of gymnastics!:)

I don't understand why it is verboten to discuss the weight of a gymnast as long as it is discussed in a healthy way. I mean gymnasts are SERIOUS athletes and must keep their bodies in peak condition. This means conditioning and nutrition. Their physical conditioning plays a big role in their safety and performance so it would be silly pretend that weight isn't a part of that.

I've heard the food at the Ranch is HORRIBLE. I wouldn't send my kid there as she is very particular about what she eats. She's die at the Ranch! LOL

I would like to believe that in this day and age it isn't weight gain per se that coaches are concerned but proper nutrition. Having an unhealthy diet does lead itself to weight gain. Top athletes have to maintain a proper lean muscle mass for optimal performance. It is surprising how little, compared to the traditional American diet, our body needs to stay healthy. So many studies have been performed and I am sure we all know how certain foods are assimilated or broken down (or cannot be broken down) by our bodies. There are no studies that show however that too much fruits and vegetables or proper amount of meat leads to weight gain. Unfortunately, for most of us it is hard to just eat food that is good for us.

I did not read the book and all the other books I've read on lives of gymnasts merely state the coaches did not want them to gain weight. And as such limited their food intake. This may be a flawed perception of what a young gymnast think is happening. I'd be surprised if the coaches told the athlete not to eat that vegetable or that fruit or the proper amount of protien or don't drink water. But I am certain they would be telling the athlete not to eat the candy bar or the chocolate or the soda. Of course, these girls are kids. And probably all love candy. So in their young minds, they think since the coach is regulating and 'limiting' their intake of candy and the like, the coach is merely concerned about their weight. When in fact, the coach may be more concerned about nutrition. I guess what I am trying to say in my typical long winded way is that maybe the girls are misconstruing the whole food limitation and "weight gain" practices of coaches. After all, I do not think monitoring a child and making sure they have the proper nutrition and limiting their intake of food with no nutritional value is hardly a bad practice. If a coach tells a gymnast not to eat that candy, kids may automatically think that the coach thinks they are overweight that is why they are being told not to eat the candy. Unfortunately, since coaches can't be with the gymnast 24/7, the only way to monitor their healthy food intake is by weighing the athletes. Maybe I am being too naive. It just seems like it is a given if you monitor what you eat, it is because you want to lose weight. Maybe more emphasis or education should be given to our kids on why certain foods are good for us and not just that candy makes us fat. Am I making any sense?

P.S. I am so scared. I have a feeling I am going to be chopped to pieces because of this post. Peace?

I won't chop you to pieces but I do disagree with parts of what you wrote.

I agree that athletes deserve to learn about nutrition. Relevant, developmentally appropriate nutrition education should be included in every sport training from little toddlers to elite gymnasts. Honestly every child athlete or not deserves this knowledge.

This is where we disagree, you wrote

"Unfortunately, since coaches can't be with the gymnast 24/7, the only way to monitor their healthy food intake is by weighing the athletes."

It is not possible to "monitor healthy food intake" by weighing anyone. I can drink only soda for a week and eat one candy bar per day and still lose weight and be horribly unhealthy. By just looking at my weight, you may assume that I was eating healthy when nothing could be further from the truth. In the same way, I can eat healthy food in excess and still gain weight and again you would have no idea that I had a "heathy food intake". It is never ok for anyone to weigh a child without their parents explicit permission. In college, athletes can make their own decisions and some high profile coaches do weigh athletes but before HS graduation, in club gym or at school its not ok.

It is a coaches responsibility to monitor an athletes ability to do skills, if body shape is interfearing with physical ability then the issue can be dealt with on an individual basis in a meeting between the head coach, optional or compulsary coach, parents and /or athlete.

By the way, Ryan Lochte said he only started paying attention to nutrition only after he won medals a the Bejing Olympics. So it is possible to be a high level athlete while eating junk food.

This is where we disagree, you wrote

"Unfortunately, since coaches can't be with the gymnast 24/7, the only way to monitor their healthy food intake is by weighing the athletes."

It is not possible to "monitor healthy food intake" by weighing anyone. I can drink only soda for a week and eat one candy bar per day and still lose weight and be horribly unhealthy. By just looking at my weight, you may assume that I was eating healthy when nothing could be further from the truth. In the same way, I can eat healthy food in excess and still gain weight and again you would have no idea that I had a "heathy food intake".

By the way, Ryan Lochte said he only started paying attention to nutrition only after he won medals a the Bejing Olympics. So it is possible to be a high level athlete while eating junk food.

I did not mean to use the word "only". Clearly it is not the true and only measure of health. That goes without saying. But weight is still a measure of health. It is one way, but not the only way. Why do you think we get weighed in the doctor's office? I was also talking about top athletes and not the average American. Any top athlete would not be able to function on the diet you state of soda and candy. In fact, I will dare to say, that diet does not exist except in extreme cases of drug abuse, poverty or neglect. The demands of an athlete are far superior than the average Joe. So the situation you state is not even plausible in the situation of which I speak. Though I know you are trying to make a point, it just seems immaterial.

I also disagree with you that you could eat healthy food in excess and gain weight. I guess theoretically if you ate 10 lbs of carrots, 10 lbs of broccoli, 10 lbs of fruits and vegetables, you would gain weight. But realistically, can anyone do that? The bloat you'd experience alone would stop you dead on your tracks (or anyone close to you:eek:). One pound of carrots is roughly 200 calories. Now tell me, if you ate a pound each of broccoli, carrots, and fruit, how much food do you think you can consume above that? And even if you ate all that, that would only be maybe 600 calories, more depending on the fruit. Again this point unfortunately has no bearing on real life which is what we are discussing.

And as far as Ryan Lochte, unless proven otherwise, I see nothing in that statement that suggest he had a horrible diet or that he even ate junk food. Your point about Lochte is exactly what I was trying to get away from. It does not always follow that when someone is "paying attention to nutrition" that they have horrible habits. Similarly, seeking to regulate one's eating habits does not mean one is overweight. I am just trying to get away from assumptions and also hopefully remove the stigma that is associated with trying to eat healthy and even getting on the scale. That is truly all I am trying to say. Realistically, there is so much good tasting food out there. Regulation is I believe a necessity.

Clearly we have different opinions on this matter.

I could give you many more relevant examples let me just start with just one. When I lost significant weight one of the hardest habits I had to break was too many portions of healthy foods, no not just raw veggies but still food that was considered "healthy" by those in the medical field that I knew what I was eating. In order to lose weight, I simply had to cut back. That is not a hypothetical it is reality. If it's my reality I believe that others have had the same issue.

Also, there is no one definition of "healthy diet", Elite athletes would do well to work with a Registered Dietician, at that point they may write a food journal to determine if they are eating a diet that fill the needs of that athlete.

It is a coaches job to make sure the athlete can do the skills required, and if the athlete can do the skills then the athlete progresses. If something is impeding that success, a private meeting can be arranged to discuss it and a specialit brought in if necessary. A scale never needs to be involved (unless there is a distinction in weight class like boxing or wrestling).

As for Ryan Locthe's diet, listen to what he has to say about his diet before the 08 games. I will not quote him, I will let you listen to his words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UEIDYFTHI

My major point is that no one should way any child without parents explicit permission. Yes, a doctor will weigh patients but in my opinion coaches, teachers, trainers etc should not. There are too many chances for problems even when the motives are good. I believe that can and should include elite coaches and athletes at the highest levels. It is simply not necessary and can easily lead to problems.

to clarify, the athletes are weighed in college. BUT, only that staff person knows the weight. it is protected by the privacy act. if it becomes a "problem" it is then referred to the sport nutrition person. under no circumstance could the team or coaches know the weight of an individual athlete.

no one that i know weighs the athletes in club. that's from the dark ages. if someone is still doing it today they should have a 64 oz. soda, ice cream cone with ice cream and a "heart attack burger" from that place in Vegas shoved down their throat. i'm just sayin...don't skewer me either.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back