WAG After the competition season ends...how long before your gym starts training new skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
It seems our gym takes FOREVER to start training (regularly) on new skills. DD has done level 9 for the last two years, made it to Regionals both times but not Easterns.... She is not a fan of level 9 (lol) and is ready to push past this and feels the gym isn't aggressive enough.....

Just thought I would ask.

Thank you.

Probably negative two years.;)

They've been training the skills for quite some time by season end. The day after season end, they increase their focus on new skills, but they've already been introduced by that point.

The day after :) They also train new skills throughout the season but there is a definite shift in the gym atmosphere as soon as the season is over...time for new skills!!!!
This is how our gym operates as well -- at least for my daughter. She had the skills she was competing for L9 pretty solid, so they did continue to do some uptraining throughout the season -- mostly on beam and vault with a small amount of bars transition work for L10. Now that season is officially over, I expect a larger focus on conditioning, drills and skill building for next season. Most of her skills and progressions are already selected for L10, so that is nice. Hoping for a prodictive and injury free off-season.

The first practice after my son and his teammates finished regionals, they went into immediate pursuit of ALL THE AWESOMENESS! Coach isn't paying them a whole lot of mind as he's prepping a couple of guys for nationals. I think once he gets back, he will gently suggest that perhaps getting an endo on high bar is a bigger priority than spending hours on tkachev drills. It is truly hilarious to watch floor rotations with the "done competing" crowd.

My daughter didn't have much of a meet season, but she too has been working on lots of new things since her last meet.

Same as above. The next practice after states is over, the focus shifts to uptraining.

always doing drills and such for the next level. its pretty well timed for them to take them to the next level as soon as meet season ends pretty much.

It's all the time. During season, they may only get rotation of 'new' stuff. Right now, it's pretty low-key. After Nationals I'm sure it'll amp up.

coaches, is there a point where you stop trying to upgrade your gymnasts' skills? I see some level 10s competing the same routines multiple years and able to score extremely high because they've grown into their routines and have spent time perfecting them while others are always upgrading and not producing the polished result.

1. is there an age at which it becomes difficult to actually upgrade/learn skills?
2. is there a point where the increased risk (Scores and injuries) isn't really worth rewards once you hit a 10.0SV, especially if you are't doing elite. Why try to learn a triple flight on beam or standing fulls on beam? E passes on floor. Multiple releases on bars, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back