MAG Age for coaching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Is there a minimum age that a coach has to be to be on the floor at a sanctioned event?

I'm pretty sure that they have to be 18. We had a girls coach who was 17 and couldn't go on the floor.

For us, minimum age of 14 to become a qualified beginner coach. They can be on the floor for MAG co,ps for levels 1-2 as long as an intermediate coach is with them. 16 and an intermediate coach to be on the floor by the,selves with levels 1-2 and 17 and an advanced coach to be on the floor for levels 3 and above.

Thanks. I figured they had to be 18 to be on the competition floor. That helps :)

Reactions: sce
so is this like competitive age? Where if they will be 18 by the end of May they can be on the floor all year? (Just had this discussion with a judge/coach)

No, you have to actually be 18 to get the full professional membership and that is what is required to be on the floor alone.

No, you have to actually be 18 to get the full professional membership and that is what is required to be on the floor alone.

Thank you. That is what I told this guy last night. He didn't believe me...sigh.

Thank you. That is what I told this guy last night. He didn't believe me...sigh.
And just to clarify, there just has to be a pro member from the gym at the meet. If, say the team was so big they are split would be ok for the junior pro member to be with one group and the pro with another. Junior pro just couldn't take the team to a meet all by themselves.

To be on the floor at a USAG sanctioned event, you have to be 18, and a USAG pro member with current safety certification and background check.

From USAG website:

Junior Professional Membership
Who
  • Coaches: Competitive assistant coaches who are 16-17 years of age working at all levels, for Women's, Men's, Rhythmic, Trampoline & Tumbling, Group Gymnastics, and Acrobatic Gymnastics

• Judges: Judges who are 16-17 years of age working at all levels for Women's, Men's, Rhythmic, Trampoline & Tumbling, Group Gymnastics, and Acrobatic Gymnastics
Membership is required for participation in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned event. Individuals must hold a junior professional membership that includes the gymnastics discipline in which he/she is participating (i.e. women's, men's, rhythmic, trampoline and tumbling, acrobatic gymnastics or group gymnastics).
Requirements
  • Must complete the U100: Fundamentals of Gymnastics Instruction Course if Jr. Professional member intends to COACH on the floor at a USA Gymnastics sanction event.
  • Individuals applying for Junior Professional Membership must be 16-17 years of age
  • USA Gymnastics Safety Certification (must re-certify every 4 years)
  • Must be accompanied by a Professional Member while coaching at USA Gymnastics sanctioned events
  • Must complete the U100: Fundamentals of Gymnastics Instruction Course if Jr. Professional member intends to COACH on the floor at a USA Gymnastics sanction event.
  • Please note, if obtaining the Jr. Professional membership in order to coach on the floor of USA Gymnastics sanctioned event, member must hold a minimum level of Instructor Certified within USA Gymnastics University. This certification level is achieved by completing the U100: Fundamental Gymnastics Instruction course.
Junior Professional membership will be granted after the application is processed and the individual has successfully completed the Safety Certification Course.

I know it's an older post, but I have a related question and didn't want to start a new one.
How old do you have to be to actually start coaching (not at meets, and not team, but just a regular req assistant coach or something like that)?
Someone told DD that she can start coaching when she is 13. But looking at the job regulations at our state it says "Minors under the age of 14 cannot work. There are a few exceptions, such as babysitting, working as a news carrier, working on farms, or working in entertainment (with a special permit)."
I was wandering if coaching gymnastics would fall under those few exceptions, like babysitting?

She is still 11, will be 12 in two months, but someone at the gym told her that she can take a coaching class when she is 12, and start coaching when she is 13. She still misses gymnastics a lot, so I thought it would be a great way for her to stay connected with the sport without actually doing it.

At our gym, you can be an assistant for the younger rec classes starting at 12. Mostly involves child herding ;) plus maybe leading the warm-up and monitoring stations so no actual coaching. It's for current gymnasts, their hours are put towards paying fees.

At our gym, you can be an assistant for the younger rec classes starting at 12. Mostly involves child herding ;) plus maybe leading the warm-up and monitoring stations so no actual coaching. It's for current gymnasts, their hours are put towards paying fees.

Thanks. So, they are not actually getting paid. I guess they can't get paid until they are 14? Anyone knows?

At our gym 14 to coach and get paid. Had to get a work permit from the school too before he could work. Strict rules on hours and such. But this is for coaching rec not competitive. I think the laws are by state too? I remember when we did the paperwork for my 14 year old, the rules allowed for younger kids for specific types of work like, babysitting and agricultural.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back