Parents Age question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's hard when they are capable at a young age, but not able to compete. Developmentally I have a feeling usag knows what it is doing though. It prevents pushing girls too hard too young. Our gym had a spring show a few weeks back and one girl who is 4 years old was able to do the level 4 routines with no help at all. I think she actually has all the level 5 routines herself as well. Keep in mind she only practices 4 hours per week - she is just a natural. Next year she will be able to compete level 3 - which seems really unfair to all the other level 3's in the state - but what can you do. Probably once she is 7 years old she will jump through right to level 7. It is amazing to watch her though. I give her Mom credit though - she won't let her train too much because she doesn't think it is good at such a young age.

The owner's daughter is like that at our gym. She just turned 3 in March and she can do the routines for all the compulsory levels. She can't do all the skills yet but when she does the routines she'll just stop (in time to the music), say "this is where the back handspring goes" and then pick up with the rest. She is really amazing to watch. She doesn't "train" at all. She just gets to play at the gym while her mom is working so she jumps in line with whatever looks fun. The coaches and girls are all very patient with her and let her "take her turn" at whatever. She stretches with the girls and then walks around like she's one of the coaches. It's really too cute but she is going to be a force when she's old enough to compete.

The December 31 age cutoff is for tops and elite only.

In what month does your dd turn 6 and in what month does your state have its state meet (or 2 state meets, as the case may be)?

She definitely will have to wait to compete L4 until she is actually six years old. She does have a tough birthday but she will be okay and probably have a much more successful L4 season than if she actually were to compete at age 5. We have a girl at our gym whose birthday fell literally days after the L4 state meet. She had all her L4 skills and competed some exhibitions, but could not compete L4 until the following year. She had a great L4 season, won L5 states and L7 states. She's now training L8 and just turned 9. I honestly think it will be better for your DD in the long run. She will have more time to perfect all those little things that make the difference in scores. Far better to be the oldest 6 year old out there than the youngest.

Meg

The December 31 age cutoff is for tops and elite only.

In what month does your dd turn 6 and in what month does your state have its state meet (or 2 state meets, as the case may be)?

Our states is in May and DD's Bday is in May too. It is exactly 10 days after states. Talk about a bum deal. It wouldn't be so bad had the dates not been so close.

Our states is in May and DD's Bday is in May too. It is exactly 10 days after states. Talk about a bum deal. It wouldn't be so bad had the dates not been so close.

She missed the cutoff by around one month and 10 days, not just 10 days. In every state, a gymnast must compete in a L4 meet/get a qualifying score/qualify at a sectionals to quality into the state meet. Your dd would have had to have been 6yo by that earlier date, not just the state meet.

May is actually a great month to be born for a gymnast. They generally have their birthday right after the state/regional/national meets and therefore are the oldest in their group. That's usually better than being the youngest.

. Far better to be the oldest 6 year old out there than the youngest.

I second that!! I've experienced both ends. My oldest DD's birthday is end of Jan. For her, she was the oldest in her L4, 6, 7 States as they all fell about 10 days before her b'day. On the flip side, my Little Monkey's b'day is July 25th. She has been the 2nd youngest (in the entire meet) in Level 4 and Level 5. One other girl (from another team) has her birthday in Sept.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back