Parents Ahhhhh level 5 stuff finally!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blackie6

Proud Parent
You know DD was supposed to take a week off after states right? Well, only lasted two practices because here at home she drove me nuts....NUTS! She pulled out her balance beam (a small 5ft one we got yrs ago) and decided to up-train herself by doing backwalkovers. She made up her own routines and I had to judge them. Thankfully she had throw pillows out for the "misses". We sent her on Sat to practice still on restriction, but at least something to do, she was bored at home. On Tuesday she went to the Ortho who wants her out another 2 weeks! A new x-ray shows she has a little cyst (2 actually) in her foot where the hairline fracture is. Of course I have to ask "is it from gymnastics" wondering if this is the begining of all those gymnastics related injuries. Doctor says "no" but feels it did cause a weekness in her foot and that is why the fracture happened there. So, we go back in 6 month just to re-check. Meantime, DD is happily participating in restricted practice. For those never injured it means LOTS AND LOTS of tramp and tumble trak. My DD is having the time of her life doing back tucks, front tucks, running down tumble trak and doing a somersault up onto a higher mat. She can't vault yet so this in place of vaulting. Bars, she is loving. Now that they are finally working L5 skills she is practicing her kips. Sometimes she has them, sometimes not. Sometimes she gets them with straight arms, sometimes they are ugly. Her hands are horrible though, getting really sore and calloused. I guess I will look up the last post about rips and prevention. They also had their first practice trying squat ons and just jumping off from standing up position. Then the coach had them just swinging from the high bars. DD has her brace on but kept forgetting that she should not be jumping down.

Even though they are done with states they are attending one last meet as L4's. I did not want DD to participate in this last one (yeah I know I said that about the last 2) but she wants to do it. She can go back to practice 100% after Feb 2nd and the meet is on 2/14. The vault might be a problem though, except for the 2 ugly vaults at states she hasn't vaulted since mid December.

But watching her tonight was like watching a different girl. She was so excited to be doing new things finally. All the girls were funny, running back and forth to the bars trying to get their kips. Where do they get that energy from and how come I can't have some, LOL

I hope she stays safe while still having fun. At least she is in the gym getting to do some things, especially those kips! Good for her! I hope she gets back to 100% super soon. :D

I'm glad your DD is healing and able to get back to gym! She must be so excited about Level 5! Do you have any meets scheduled yet?

That is so cool for her to be so excited again. My dd was like that on the first day of L4. Now L4 is not so fun anymore since we are stuck on a few pesky skills!:p

I hope she continues to heal and does it quickly...in the meantime sounds like she'll be bouncing and flipping away on the tumble trak!

Yeah for you dd, with working level 5 skills - they always get excited learning the next level!

The meet on 2/14 is that Star Struck? We'll be there too if it is, but dd's on Sunday.

Yay for her:D! Training new level always adds excitement for them:)! My dd recently started level 5, which has been a great thing, as she was extremely bored of level 4! Funny thing, how different skills come easier for some than others. We have a couple girls at our gym that got their kip within the first three tries, but had a heck of a time getting the squat on! My dd was doing her squat on at the beginning of level 4, but can't seem to get the kip to save her life!!

I am glad to hear that DD is on the road to a full recovery! Sounds like she is managing restricted practice well.

Have fun for the next couple weeks while she is finishing healing!

Good luck with the Kip! It is a fickle friend!

So glad to hear that dd is starting that wonderful journey as a L5. I'm sure all the girls are just so glad to put that mill circle behind them!! I loved Kristilyn's description of the kip---"a fickle friend" for sure, but after awhile it becomes your best buddy. Glad you were able to get her back in the gym before everyone needed sedatives!!

Thanks Gymmonkeymamma!

I'm glad your DD is healing and able to get back to gym! She must be so excited about Level 5! Do you have any meets scheduled yet?

Sorry, you won't be seeing us on the L5 circuit this season. DD won't compete until end of year which is fine for us. FYI, you know those really good open L4's I was talking about at the L4 states from some other gyms? Well, they are already competeting and doing just as good at L5 as L4 so now YOU will be stuck with them at L5 states too!

Thanks Madigym

That is so cool for her to be so excited again. My dd was like that on the first day of L4. Now L4 is not so fun anymore since we are stuck on a few pesky skills!:p

I hope she continues to heal and does it quickly...in the meantime sounds like she'll be bouncing and flipping away on the tumble trak!

Once your DD gets those pesky skills then she can concentrate on doing them really well and before you know it she'll be in L5 soon too. This season seemed to fly right by for us.

We'll be there on Saturday

Yeah for you dd, with working level 5 skills - they always get excited learning the next level!

The meet on 2/14 is that Star Struck? We'll be there too if it is, but dd's on Sunday.

Most of the team is staying in hotels but I have a Cub Scout Pinewood derby on Friday night and then don't have to be there until 10:40 I think so we were going to just drive down. Now DH has to take DS#2 to wrestling match and I am stuck driving solo to AC. I hate doing long drives by myself! We are not stressing this one. DD just wants to participate to be with the team, not too worried about the score because of the injury.:)

Thanks gymmonOR

Yay for her:D! Training new level always adds excitement for them:)! My dd recently started level 5, which has been a great thing, as she was extremely bored of level 4! Funny thing, how different skills come easier for some than others. We have a couple girls at our gym that got their kip within the first three tries, but had a heck of a time getting the squat on! My dd was doing her squat on at the beginning of level 4, but can't seem to get the kip to save her life!!

My DD was also pretty bored with the 2nd L4 season. I don't regret it at all, I think the extra year really helped her maturity. We just started the bars stuff so I am not sure how they will progress but they look extremly happy to be doing something else for a change and not the mill circle, LOL

Good Luck to your DD too...it's nice to know we are in the same situation with our DD's, should be fun to go theu the hi's and lows of L5 together!

I am glad to hear that DD is on the road to a full recovery! Sounds like she is managing restricted practice well.

Have fun for the next couple weeks while she is finishing healing!

Good luck with the Kip! It is a fickle friend!

LOL, I can tell she is a fickle friend already. One Weds my DD had no problems, on Thursday (maybe a little sore from previous nights work out) it was hit or miss and mostly bent arms.

. FYI, you know those really good open L4's I was talking about at the L4 states from some other gyms? Well, they are already competeting and doing just as good at L5 as L4 so now YOU will be stuck with them at L5 states too!

GREAT! Thanks for the heads up!

I'm driving solo too, ds also has a wrestling match that he would rather attend then come see his sister compete gymnastics (can you blame him ;)). Besides, Valentine's Day is his birthday so although I wanted to stay the night down at a hotel, if he wants to wrestle I can't, because then I wouldn't be home the night of his birthday. Fortunately, I'm no more than an hour away.

GL

Most of the team is staying in hotels but I have a Cub Scout Pinewood derby on Friday night and then don't have to be there until 10:40 I think so we were going to just drive down. Now DH has to take DS#2 to wrestling match and I am stuck driving solo to AC. I hate doing long drives by myself! We are not stressing this one. DD just wants to participate to be with the team, not too worried about the score because of the injury.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back