WAG Air awareness

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
DD (11) has always had good awareness of where she is in space and where her body parts are (didn't get this from me!). I've read all the vestibular stuff on here, and I'm not clear on all of it. She's recently been asked to do doubles (as in flipping, not as in twisting) off the bars (into pits), and she's only tried it twice, as she says she doesn't like it because she doesn't know where she is when she does it. Is that because the vestibular system "isn't there yet" or just because she has to do it a few times to get used to it?

I'm not going to go bug the coach or give him any "tips"; I trust this coach to know what he's doing. I'm just somewhat curious as to how this relates to all the other commentary on vestibular.

11 is at the beginning of the dreaded puberty age where vestibular issues tend to happen from what I understand. My dd is 11 as well and in the past couple of weeks she has battled some on-again off-again beam fear issues doing a bhs bhs which was never a problem before. She can't put her finger on why she is afraid of it. I chalked it up to vestibular since it has affected many on her team. It came and went and I'm expecting it to be back again a lot in the next couple of years.

I just started doing double backs into the pit and it is a bit like that, a lot of the time i didn't know whether I was going to land on my face or my feet. It got slightly better as I did more but only slightly. I imagine its just getting used to the faster rotation and your vestibular system catching up to the new skill. So i imagine it is mostly vestibular.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back