Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Air Pits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
I somehow came across a foreign website that had these "air" pits. I'm not really sure what the point is...does anyone see an advantage over traditional pit systems?

Here is a link to the website:

http://slc81.free.fr/

Attachments

Rick McCharles

Feb 21, 2007
Calgary, Canada
skeptical about air pits

Great question!

My feeling ...

Benefits:
very clean
far less expensive than foam
somewhat force absorbent
easy to add mats to floor level and higher

Problems:
somewhat force elastic (risk of injury?)
could be punctured
risk of vandalism
durability?

At first glance I’d say no go. But I would need to to see it in action before I could render a final decision.

Posted your question on my blog:

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/?p=2558

H

hammy

I agree with Rick McCharles...I think there would be many pros and cons, and I'd like to see it in action before deciding. I do however think the risk of injury would be great, but then again, landing in a foam pit is extremely risky as well.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
I'd be curious about the noise it generates. We have 3 inflatables for birthdays. When you turn them on, the gym hums.:confused:

G

GymnastRaeRae87

hmm?

I'd be curious about the noise it generates. We have 3 inflatables for birthdays. When you turn them on, the gym hums.:confused:

I was wondering the same thing as you JBS...and I was also wondering if it is like an AirTrak because it looks like there would be a painful landing. I agree with everyone who said they would want to see it in action. I want to know what the give is on it...is it like a pit where your sink in or do you bounce up? So many questions...I would like to see it in action though.

G

gymnasticsbabie

i feel like you would break an ankle or hyper your knee. its like trampolines under the bars. i don't like it, but it looks really cool. what if you like landed and then bounced back to smack your face on the bar...

S

spotu

Could you tell me your experience will an air track as I am thinking about purchasing one for our gym as a space alternative to a tumble track.............? What would you say are the benefits /not .........as opposed to a tumble track?

G

gymnasticsbabie

are you asking for anyone's opinon?? well we used them a couple times at a clinic and then at another camp. but i actually don't like them.. they are a lot harder than tumble tracks and a girl actually broke her arm on it (well she tripped..) because she couldn't get her steps. your gymnast have to be they type of people who can adjust well to anything. but hey thats just my opinon..

mtbmom

Feb 28, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
Maybe it deflates some like an airbag when you land on it. Then it could inflate again.

I can tell you we use air beds for some patients at the hospital I work at. They are made of gortex I think. They are NOISY. Also they get punctured pretty easily. When they have a puncture they don't work right. And I'm talking about a pin hole. Can't imagine gymnasts with toenails, fingernails landing on it and it not getting a puncture or tear. And when there's a leak, tape doesn't fix it for long.

It is cool looking though.

LittleLady

Feb 3, 2009
Vermont
I'm not so sure about this since I've never seen or worked on one. I have seen an Air Beam by TumblTrak. Seems to me by observation that something wrapped around the beam and inflated doesn't feel like a real beam and could be slippery or by chance be ripped and deflated. My husband and I have invented a balance beam that bounces much like a trampoline and only bounces when a skill requiring jumping is initiated. It stays stationary otherwise. It just seems like a safer alternative to things being wrapped around a beam. As for the Air Pit, I myself would stay with the usual trampoline equipment and foam pits. To each his own.

Laurie Gallus
Author: Flip Outside The Box
Creative Women's Gymnastics Elements

KAQuinlan

Mar 6, 2009
Florida Panhandle
We have an air trak and have ended up using it mostly for lower level gymnasts. Our air-trak is not like the one in the video posted above. It has about 20' of track that is at one level, then another ten that is at a lower level that looks like it could be a pit. Our preschoolers and beginning gymnasts love it. I also like teaching back handsprings off the higher end into the pit part (RO BHS this way, too). It gives the gymnast time to think about their body position from the time they leave their feet to the time that they land on their hands. Also, front handsprings and seat drops with the babies are great on the air-trak. Otherwise, we pretty much use it for fun. We take it whenever we go to open houses because we can let kids pretty safely jump down it, it's highly portable, and easy to clean. We tried taking it to some exhibitions, but the team girls don't really care for it and would rather do the mini-tramp.

In regard to the inflatable pit, I can't say that I care for it at first glance, but I would imagine that it sinks quite a bit when the gymnast hits it (I'm sure there's no bouncing involved). However, the sign that is pictured on the site does say "No diving" in capital letters, so the give must not be great enough to take big falls. As for noise, they also show the electric box that is used for it and I think that it may not be as loud as one would think. I wonder if it doesn't have air constantly pumped in -- that would mean no give, like a bounce house. It looks like the material has a LOT of room for movement. I bet that it's more like those blob things that you see at camps. It is always inflated with a set amount of air. When someone hits it, the give is proportionate to the amount of space there is for the air to move to another part of the pit. I don't know if that made any sense, but that's my idea of it when looking at the extra photos up close.

B

BlairBob

A possible solution when foam pit solutions are not viable ( due to water leakage/drainage issues into below ground level ). I'd prefer a resi pit but resi pit vs air pit is probably just as dangerous compared to foam pit.

dunno

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Club Owner
Apr 28, 2009
the dutch and swiss teams have the pits you are speaking of. i have been there and seen them first hand.

like carpet bonded foam, carpet is sewn and glued on to the top of air pit. very similar to pole vaulting pits here in the US.

in the walls of the pit is where the large fans reside. the fans continuously run and keep a certain PSI bellowing in to the pit. they are completely silent as those fans are in the walls and apprx 3 feet down.

they collapse just a bit upon landing. they appear to be very safe. and i even did a couple of running punch fronts and landed on my back to test myself.

landing on your head would be equiv to landing on your head in our resi's. the best benefit? their facilities are 'foam free'. no foam boogers anywhere in sight.

for now, their technology is cost prohibitive for most gyms. but i'm sure someday we will see these here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Parent Forum 5
K Gymnast Forum 4
J Gym Jobs 0