Parents Air track question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Heidieffinger

Coach
Proud Parent
I am thinking Of ordering an inflatable tumble track for my gymnast. They are super expensive, so I’m trying to get the cheapest I can but don’t want to get one that is too short. How many feet would I need for her longest pass- a round-off back-handspring back tuck (working a full)

I know many will say dont do it but we have had a great experience with ours. It is 13 feet long and she can easily do a roundoff back handspring back tuck on it. I would love a 20 ft but the prices were crazy. I found the best deal on walmart marketplace.

Buy what you can find space for, and you DO NOT need to buy an airtrack brand. My daughter's was a rando brand from amazon and it was great.

I just bought a knock off on ebay. If you want the knock off they look the same on Amazon and Ebay, but Ebay is cheaper. I noticed that the prices are increasing each day, I guess as the demand goes up. I couldn't sleep several nights ago, so used that time to research the air tracks. You might want to pay attention to how thick the one you buy is. The thickness varied a lot. Based on what I read you want one at least 8" thick. I bought the 20 foot one. My level 9 ( I guess training 10 now) daughter is just planning to use it for basics and I'm planning to use it in the pool myself.

I've always been pretty anti at home equipment, but I just broke down and ordered an Air Track. Went through Walmart.

My dd has a 10 foot one that we bought from amazon for Christmas 2018. It's held up well. I think that you'd need a pretty long one to do a roundoff - bhs -bt series. My dd can do one cartwheel or bhs or back step out on it. Guess it would depend on how tall she is. My dd is 5' 1" tall and would never be able to do that series on a 13 foot one. She'd probably need at least a 20 foot one. I'm pretty sure that balance beams are 16.4 feet long and floors are 40 feet long so that might help in gauging the length needed.

We got one from amazon that is pretty sturdy and is 20 feet long. I have generally been leery of home equipment, but I have temporarily thrown all rules out of the window during this crazy time. I just told them please don't break anything because good luck getting that taken care of right now--I'm only sort of kidding. My oldest is a level 9, and I did tell her to please be reasonable. She lined up some panel mats and worked a RO BHS fulls on the air track yesterday. It is better than nothing, but it is a far cry from doing it on the floor. The girls said they might just stick to back tucks and layouts.

Here is the one we have and it has been very good. We have had it for 2 years; 20 feet I think. The price is higher now than when I bought it in 2018. My DD can do a RO-BHS-layout on it with room to spare- she is 5'1". Its been dragged indoors, outdoors, used as a slip and slide, just for fun, lots of TikToks on it. Yes, it is expensive, but we are really glad we have it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MVBF32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Here is the one we have and it has been very good. We have had it for 2 years; 20 feet I think. The price is higher now than when I bought it in 2018. My DD can do a RO-BHS-layout on it with room to spare- she is 5'1". Its been dragged indoors, outdoors, used as a slip and slide, just for fun, lots of TikToks on it. Yes, it is expensive, but we are really glad we have it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MVBF32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Did you get the 4 inch or the 8 inch one? I'm thinking about getting one for my level 7. Thanks!

I believe it is the 4 inch one. It gives plenty of bounce. I can ask my DD how it compares to a spring floor if you want.
That would be great! My DD is doing well with her conditioning, but I have a feeling it's going to be a long time before she gets back into the gym and she'd like to practice her series and her tumbling passes. Also, she'd like to know if your DD's hands are on the mat for her RO-BHS-Layout or if she starts that on the ground.

Thank you!!

That would be great! My DD is doing well with her conditioning, but I have a feeling it's going to be a long time before she gets back into the gym and she'd like to practice her series and her tumbling passes. Also, she'd like to know if your DD's hands are on the mat for her RO-BHS-Layout or if she starts that on the ground.

Thank you!!
We have the 4 inch one too, and it has plenty of bounce. The girls put the panel mat out in front of the air track. I just asked my daughter and she said they did the whole pass on the air track but landed on the panel mat. I hope that helps.

I just told them please don't break anything because good luck getting that taken care of right now--I'm only sort of kidding.

This is a huge concern for me. I have put the bikes, scooter, skateboard, hedge clippers, and other dangerous items into timeout for the duration of the pandemic.

This is a huge concern for me. I have put the bikes, scooter, skateboard, hedge clippers, and other dangerous items into timeout for the duration of the pandemic.
I don't blame you! We have a swingset in our backyard that has a bar attached to it. It's kind of high. I told them they could do kips on it, but absolutely no cast handstands or anything like that. I saw a kid on instagram doing giants on a strap bar in her house and felt alarmed.

id you get the 4 inch or the 8 inch one? I'm thinking about getting one for my level 7. Thanks!
OK, got out the measuring tape and also talked to my DD. We only have the 16 foot one, and it is 4 inches thick. She said you can make it more or less bouncy by the way you inflate it. So it can be as springy as a typical floor, or more or less. I was wrong - she can't do a RO-BHS-layout on the 16 foot. Only a RO-layout or a RO-backtuck, not 3 elements. She typically runs not on the tumbletrack, but she puts her hands down into her RO within the 1st foot of the tumbletrack, and then lands safely on the track with room to spare. Hope that helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back