Off Topic Algebra 2 or Geometry first?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What do you take first at your school, algebra 2 or geometry? I took algebra 1 in 8th grade so im like sorta advanced math but not like really advanced or anything so hopefully if I did well on the test I took today ill be in algebra 2 as a freshman and ill take geometry as a sophmore. My friend will be a junior next year at a different school and she will be taking algebra 2 also because she took algebra 1 as a freshman then took geometry as a sophmore. so its kinda weird haha.

thats weird... for me, i did algebra this year and so next year i'll do geometery and then i'll have algebra 2 when i'm a sophmore.

What seems like eons ago...

Algebra 1 during 7th. Did fine

Algebra again during 8th. Changed to public school and did not have geometry available to JH. Could not make it to next door HS for geometry as it conflicted was some necessary classes ( GATE english and history? )

Changed to different district ( another public school ). 9th graders did some weird conglomerate of algebra and geometry, however it seemed more like pre-algebra and basic geometrical concepts.

Moved again for 2nd semester. HS stuck me in an algebra class because it was too late to start geometry. Professor, while liking me, got sick of me talking to my neighbor and friends were nearly failing the class. Gave me a geometry and algebra 2 book and stuck me either in the corner ( near the window where the sun shined during the last class which was nearly guaranteed to make me nap ) or exiled me to break room of teacher's hall where I did the workbook, homework and tested myself. Recieved an A after 2 weeks.

Went onto geometry in 10th which was a breeze and algebra 2 in 11th which was interesting and precalc in 12th.

From a college perspective, most HS math courses are like an abbreviated college course level math class. Basically go into college, test and see what math level you are and continue. Most of my friends who passed AP Calc in HS got burned in College Calc bad. Just wasn't the same.

My school district does geometry before A2, and it seems the other school districts around here do likewise. There's a state standardized test for all three of the courses so I think the sequencing must be pretty much the same statewide here.

Our algebra 2 curriculum required geometry. I was in A2/Trig combined so my specific examples might not be generally true, but even for just A2, it's after geometry. The high school I went to does IB so some of the sequences are a little different.

I did A1 (8), Geo (9), A2/T (10), HL Methods 1 (11), HL Methods 2 (12). HL math methods is kind of like AP calc but we also do 3D vectors, some advanced algebra and trig stuff that's kind of random, probability and statistics, and our option was series and diff eqs. There's also SL methods, which covers a somewhat less material, and IB math studies, which is sort of like AP stat.

My methods teacher was a little...interesting, and I was kind of burned out on math, so I didn't take it last year. Next semester I'll probably take econ stat which I'm sure I'll hate because I've never been a prob/stat person.

6th grade: pre algebra
7th algebra:algebra 1
8th: geometry
9th: algebra 2
10th: pre calc
11th: calc

I would take geometry first, but you could probably take alg 2 first if you really wanted... they don't have much to do with each other.

I took algebra 1 in 7th grade, geometry in 8th grade, now i am taking algebra 2 as a freshman (thanks god school is almost over!:)) I will take a class called A.A.T or otherwise known as advanced algebra and trigonometry next year. It is funny because everyone has a different way of taking these three classes.

We take algebra 1 in 7th, geometry in 8th, algebra 2 in 9th, precal in 10th, and calc in 11th. There are all kinds of maths you can take as a senior.

I did the advacned track-pre algebra in 7th, algebra 1 in 8th, hon. geometry in 9th, honors algebra 2 in 10th, honors pre calc in 11th, and I'll be taking ap calc next year, though some choose to take ap statistics instead.

that is weird...are you sure you heard right? how i did it was in advanced algebra as an 8th grader then geometry as a freshman (i was bummed no honors geometry :( )and i am going to take algebra 2 honors as a sophy

it looks like almost all of us take math in the same order, just in different years. I have always done honors math too. Math just seems to be easier for me than like english and stuff. I hate writing.

math is actually one of my weaker subjects. I'm really good with multiplying numbers in my head and such, but not so much with trig identities and things like that.

Lunch and PE have always been my fav school subjects. But for some reason my fav real subject was Earth Science. I broke the curve on tests many times and everyone hated me I think. But I goofed up somewhere and only got a 98 on the Regents exam...oh well!

ya know what's really weird? i was talking to my friend who goes to a different school and she said that they skip geometery all together... like they work it into algebra and algebra 2 somehow...

Lunch and PE have always been my fav school subjects. But for some reason my fav real subject was Earth Science. I broke the curve on tests many times and everyone hated me I think. But I goofed up somewhere and only got a 98 on the Regents exam...oh well!

On my math final I got a 99 and I was mad because I wanted a 100 so I asked my teacher for a curve and I think shes going to give me a 1 point curve lol.

On my math final I got a 99 and I was mad because I wanted a 100 so I asked my teacher for a curve and I think shes going to give me a 1 point curve lol.

Can't hurt to ask.... There are no curves on Regents exams (its a statewide final exam....but because smart kids and not-as-smart kids take it, its easy for us smart people). But there was this one time in Earth Science where like the whole class failed and I got 100 and instead of a curve she let people stay after school to re-take it. That was when the class was really mad at me!

gymgymgymnast08: youre lucky because that wont happen in HS.

we can upgrade at my school though which is cool but some teachers dont let you which is stupid because they are supposed to.

At my high school:
Seventh Grade:
- Normal math is called math 7 and is just basic stuff
- Advanced math is pre - algebra (thats what I did)
Eighth Grade:
- Normal math is pre - algebra
- Advanced math is algebra (Me)
Ninth Grade:
- Normal math is algebra
- advanced math is geometry
- There is geometry and geometry honors
I am only in ninth grade so I don't know the rest but I will go on to Algebra 2 and trigonometry (offered in 1 course) and I am on the "advanced" path

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back