Parents all decked out and ready to compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

medic3188

Hi all. I have not posted in a while as I finally moved to Florida. A lot has happened for my dd. As many of you know Florida is much more competitive than New York. When my dd got here her level 4 teammates wre doing things the level 6 were doing at home. Her new gym competes one level and trains up to 2 level above. So the decision was made to have her compete level 2 to start and then maybe move to level 3 mid season or not. My dd was struggling as a 4 and is so much happier now. She got her team leo and warm up suit today. She will compete aau in 7 weeks. She just learned the routines Sat and she already has them memorized. She is excited and I am glad we found this gym and a great coach.

Hey Medic, I'm been wondering where you've been! Glad you are all settled before the holidays. I'm not at all familiar with L2 or really L3 since they aren't competed in my state. If she was having a hard time with L4 at her old gym then it is probably a wise move to take a step back especially with a gym that has an agressive uptraining program. It isn't easy to switch gyms. I know it took my daughter about a month or so before she felt really comfortable with practice routines(ie Tues/Wed are "tough" conditioning days) and just exactly what the coaches are like etc.

I know AAU is different from USAG(a little more relaxed?), so let us know what their meets are like. Also keep us in the loop as to how dd is doing at her meets---you can see there is quite the thread going on meet results! Happy for both of you and very glad to have you back posting!

We live in West palm beach Florida.

My dd is excited for the upcoming season.She is pretty nervous. I tried to tell her everyone is nervous. Some girls who are younger already competed in two meets for usag season. Aau is a bit easier like in the level 2 routine you do not have to do the forward roll on the beam. Her coach is confident she will be ready. Bars she still struggles. She still does not have a pullover. so she will get spoted or not do bars. we shall see. she is doing privates every weekend to get to where the others are.

Hi & welcome back,

Glad you got settled in and found a new gym. We live in NJ and have quite a few NY girls on our level 4 team. They came over looking for a more competative experience but I don't think we are as competative as some of the other NJ gyms are. I am not familiar with the levels before L4 because we only did pre-team first, but if it gives your daughter some experience competing and getting caught up then it sounds like the route to take. Sounds like she's really motivated to get caught up so maybe time in this level will go quickly.

I know that some of our older L4 girls came from tumbling classes and JOGA and just learned some level 5 and 6 skills. Some of them are moving into the L5 season right after states. They are doing ROBHS and then back tucks on the floor and back handsprings on the beam. My DD is no where near being able to do any of that, but she's only 6.

Good luck at your meet, 7 weeks will seem like an eternity when you know the routines and are ready to show off, LOL

the West Palm Beach area is beautiful.We live in the Tampa area my dd started this past spring in L2 it was a wonderful experiance did get them used to competing,this fall they competed L3 a little rougher she has all the skills but has had a tough time sticking them all at the meets .they have a meet end of Jan I will be crossing my fingers .They have moved her up to L4 which means instead of 2 nights for 2hrs each practice will be 3nights at 2 1/2 hrs each but they will still do some meets this spring as L3 .I do know this part of the state is very competive our gym really starts pushing them at L4-5.I am sure your daughter will love L2 it is alot less stressful for the young girls.Welcome to fl!

thanks gym-mom

my dd does 2 days 1.5 hours and 2 hours for open gym on fri. she has been doing one hour privates to get ready for meet season. She is making some good friends. south florida is very competitive also. I know i made the right decision. Good luck with your meets. Are you going to Orlando for the AAU champs. We are.If you are maybe we can meet.

sounds like your dd will be good and ready ,the privates always help my dd.our gym has not disguised nationals yet but I'm sure were going since it's in fl .my dd went this year it was in tampa and she absouletly loved it ,it was her favorite L2 meet and I was shocked to see L2 girls from places like wymoing,s.pacific ,carolinas,missouri and of course alot of Georgia girls.Our gym does not travel out of state until level 7.

my dd had another private today. She is getting so much better. Its nice to see her excited about gymnastics again. When a child feels sucessful they do not get frustrated as easily.

I think you'll see the nerves decrease the more she gets to practice the routines and become comfortable with the coach and other girls. Just have to remind her the other girls have been practicing these skills/routines alot longer than she has and have not had to swtich gyms. Just good to hear she's having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back